DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Crashed in the Lake. Why?

Only in the minds of a few Apple people.
But not in the actual real world.
Your opinion is clear, however, I think you are incorrect. Android has far more issues than IOS and if you chose to ignore the obvious, thats your problem, not mine..

I would be interested to know your thoughts? I’m still not 100% certain what happened.

you are a great YouTuber that is highly esteemed with great content if not the best! you already know the chain of events . but.... (sounding like an (Mod Removed)) you flew over water BVLOS. you sensed something was amiss . you hesitated to pull full up because you were thinking of something else. that rogue wave snatched, and ate your mini! good thing the price is semi- mini ? better luck next time guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
you are a great YouTuber that is highly esteemed with great content if not the best! you already know the chain of events . but.... (sounding like an axxhole) you flew over water BVLOS. you sensed something was amiss . you hesitated to pull full up because you were thinking of something else. that rogue wave snatched, and ate your mini! good thing the price is semi- mini ? better luck next time guy.
It was an Air 2S

Reactions: sharkface
Hitting RTH when the screen goes black is probably a very good habit to get into!
I commented that on his YT vide. To me that seems like the only logical action when done safely and when losing sight of your quad.

Only in the minds of a few Apple people.
But not in the actual real world.
This is a big irrelevant tangent, but...

There are probably business reasons for it; maybe it continues to be the case that most DJI customers also use Apple products. I don't know.

But back on topic, I don't know how this gentleman lost his Air 2S.

Last edited:
Your opinion is clear, however, I think you are incorrect. Android has far more issues than IOS and if you chose to ignore the obvious, thats your problem, not mine..
But it's not my problem, and it's not just an opinion.
Like many other flyers, I've been flying for years using non-apple devices and having no problems.
I hear the same propaganda that you are pushing all the time and it's just not true.
DJI equipment runs equally well on either operating system despite the misinformation some one-eyed operators want people to believe.

I would be interested to know your thoughts? I’m still not 100% certain what happened.
It's unfortunate that you haven't bothered to post flight data to find out what actually happened.
As it stands this video is not at all informative.
It ends with you making several guesses, most of which are quite wrong and your viewers are left wondering.
many of your viewers continue the guessing, coming up with improbable suggestions and having learned nothing from the episode.

You could make a proper informative video if you had some flight data analysis done and share the results as a teaching opportunity rather than just adding to the misinformation that's so common in youtube videos.

But it's not my problem, and it's not just an opinion.
Like many other flyers, I've been flying for years using non-apple devices and having no problems.
I hear the same propaganda that you are pushing all the time and it's just not true.
DJI equipment runs equally well on either operating system despite the misinformation some one-eyed operators want people to believe.
If what you say was accurate, there would be significantly less postings on these forums about multiple issues with the android version of Fly and the related hardware.

that overlooking the obvious makes it your problem not mine and this is also prevalent on the DJI forums too. Enough said…. I’ll leave it at that

I’ve noticed on my Air 2S that the height reading is inaccurate. I took it out today, after reading this thread, to verify that it wasn’t a fluke, when I noticed the error before. Today my Air 2S showed the take off point being at -9.5’ at landing.

You may have been much lower than 17’ above your take off point when you lost it.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed on my Air 2S that the height reading is inaccurate. I took it out today, after reading this thread, to verify that it wasn’t a fluke, when I noticed the error before. Today my Air 2S showed the take off point being at -9.5’ at landing.

You may have been much lower than 17’ above your take off point when you post it.
That's a good point; in the past I've observed that sort of thing with my Air 2 -- and everything is as completely calibrated as I can get it.

that overlooking the obvious makes it your problem not mine and this is also prevalent on the DJI forums too.
As i tried to communicate to you, I don't have a single problem and haven't in thousands of miles of serious professional use.
And I'm not alone in that.
You might like to smugly convince yourself that the alternative system isn't any good, but you are wrong.
DJI equipment works just as well with either operating system and there's no need for anyone to feel bullied into buying the same brand as you.

You may have been much lower than 17’ above your take off point when you lost it.
That's a distinct possibility (one of several) which could be confirmed if the OP would post his flight data.

if the drone is out of the downwards sensor range ,for detecting the ground beneath the drone then the GPS height reading can be several feet out ,and dont forget the reading on the screen is only relating to the height above the take off point
the drone itself has no way of knowing with any accuracy what its real height above the ground is during flight, and add to that the fact that the sensors have a hard time over water or other reflective surfaces, then its no wonder so many drones end up in trouble ,

if the drone is out of the downwards sensor range ,for detecting the ground beneath the drone then the GPS height reading can be several feet out
The drone doesn't get altitude data from GPS.
It uses a barometric sensor and it's common and normal for that to vary by a few metres over the duration of a flight.
the drone itself has no way of knowing with any accuracy what its real height above the ground is during flight
His flight data is going to have good accurate altitude above the lake surface
and add to that the fact that the sensors have a hard time over water or other reflective surfaces, then its no wonder so many drones end up in trouble ,
The only problem with sensors over water is that they cannot lock on to any fixed pattern or texture, so it cannot contribute to horizontal position holding like it can on land.
But the sensors don't do anything that would cause the drone to have trouble maintaining height above water.
The widely discussed "problem" is imaginary.

As i tried to communicate to you, I don't have a single problem and haven't in thousands of miles of serious professional use.
And I'm not alone in that.
You might like to smugly convince yourself that the alternative system isn't any good, but you are wrong.
DJI equipment works just as well with either operating system and there's no need for anyone to feel bullied into buying the same brand as you.
I never had a single problem with Internet Explorer 6. But that doesn't mean it was problem-free software. The fact that you've never had a problem with Fly on Android doesn't mean nobody should have problems with it. DJI apparently does put more care and effort into their releases for Apple users.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys