DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Crashed in the Lake. Why?

Sorry about your loss couldn't happen at worse time on vacation with your family hope the rest of your vacation goes well ??

Nope. It’s pretty clear. However, the last signal was at 7.5 feet altitude, so I really do think it was off. I launched from shoreline, so altitude at launch point was even.
So far, no-one has seen the data except you.
There is a lot more in the flight data than a casual look at it will find.
Everyone else is just making guesses, and most of them will be wrong.
How about posting the .txt file to let people that are experienced at analysing flight data look into the actual cause of your incident?

Yeah but I've read complaints from iPhone users as well.
While its always possible that I have not encountered an issue, many postings here are not clear on what version of Fly they are using on what device, in the end I've noted more postings related to the "two" versions of Fly 1.4.8 for Android then the single release for IOS..

Sure one can say its all anecdotal. But I don' t think that in this case, where even the pilot thinks he made an error that can not be blamed on the software.. Course we'll never know 100% in this case, unless he posts the file to let the Log Wizards here do some analysis, which has always been excellent.

I would be interested to know your thoughts? I’m still not 100% certain what happened.

Thank you for sharing, Russ, sorry about your Air 2S. I fly over water a lot. I always stay 50' or higher. I almost lost my Air 2 when flying from my boat in FL due to very strong current. I hope to get the courage to try it again. Your do your check list tip is so important. Please come to The 2nd Annual South Florida Drone Meetup on April 2, 2022 in Jensen Beach, FL.

I suspect that your actual height ( above the water) was much less than 17 feet and you just went forward into a swell or wave.
There could have been some slight "panic-induced" unintentional joystick movement besides just straight forward (been there...lol)
There is also a good chance that a bird, that you'll never see at that distance and that height, hit it or, even a crazy-*** fish if you were very low??
Yes, the Ipads/Iphones suck when they get hot because they just "blackout" with no warning!
Plenty of those opportunities here in PHX, AZ!!
At least any of the Android devices I have used give a warning then dim and are still usable.

Can you even disable the bottom "vision sensors" on the Air2S? I know you can disable the other sensors but will the app let you disable the bottom on that model?

Honestly, ( IMHO) the only error was not going up until you regained situational awareness of where it was and not just go forward. Seemed too low to be sure of anything?
I had to use RTH when the Ipad screen blacked out until I saw the thing then flew it back manually once I saw it
I would be interested to know your thoughts? I’m still not 100% certain what happened.

17 feet over water never really is an indication of how much above the water you are. It’s going of AGL from where you took off. More likely a wave. I would of shot up and tried to regain VLOS.

Sorry to hear you lost your drone. Filming without a screen is just not an option and at 98 degrees its going to happen with the Iphone, Ipad and just about anything else and when is does it gets more than a little stressful. Just curious ..did you check your stick movements in the fly app?

Join the club of “ I lost my drone in the water” 2 times for me 1st pushed my luck to far and no check list, 2nd same thing pushed my luck with time on battery, no check list and lack of experience. Good luck flying over water is GREAT as is everything else. Only get one chance to get it right!

Sorry about your drone I’m on #3 both lost over water, my problems were no check list not enough experience and panic second one same problems but higher panic but I’m still flying over water about 70% of the time and learning to be more cautious on the level, battery life and as of today I’m making up a check list.
Conclusion: Panic does set in and it only gets worse. Cheers

Sorry about your loss Russ and your video may help some. You asked what we think happened, Pilot Error, which is the case for most crashes.

Sorry about your drone I’m on #3 both lost over water, my problems were no check list not enough experience and panic second one same problems but higher panic but I’m still flying over water about 70% of the time and learning to be more cautious on the level, battery life and as of today I’m making up a check list.
Conclusion: Panic does set in and it only gets worse. Cheers

When it happened to me it was a bad stick on controller. When I got home my logs said I was holding the stick DOWN when in fact I wasn't. I went into stick calibration and the screen showed the stick was down when it was in the center. DJI would not cover the drone under the DJI Care because I couldn't retrieve it and they didn't care about logs. To add insult to injury they even MADE ME PAY to fix the controller.

While its always possible that I have not encountered an issue, many postings here are not clear on what version of Fly they are using on what device, in the end I've noted more postings related to the "two" versions of Fly 1.4.8 for Android then the single release for IOS..

Sure one can say its all anecdotal. But I don' t think that in this case, where even the pilot thinks he made an error that can not be blamed on the software.. Course we'll never know 100% in this case, unless he posts the file to let the Log Wizards here do some analysis, which has always been excellent.
Well it's true though that all things DJI seem to be optimized for Apple products. My first thought when reading the thread and watching the video was that a bird took out the drone, but I don't know.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242