DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Range

Reactions
I think this is the right forum, I have the Air 2S, and was wondering the same thing about Litchi which I have, that if I create waypoints will it just do them but only if in range of my controller.

Here is my question, how far can either controllers go with signal? I feel like I can go maybe 2000 feet away MAYBE I forget. Yet, I do notice I lose RC signal a lot! I thought it's supposed to go like 13km or something. Where do you have to be to get that range, the desert?

What is the real range?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
You should start a test flight over water as this is the best way to test your signal strength .
You should have no issues as long as your not near a geo zone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the rain, Float on the Water

In the best conditions with nothing between the drone and the controller and NO interference
the range is 7.5 miles So WAY beyond the legal to fly range and the batteries range in the wind I would think. Remember you must keep the drone in site. or have a spotter or two,
I know someone who got permission to test it He went out to the middle of the desert probably no one around for 100 miles. He had to return home the drone because he didn't want to go and get it. So with FAA permission sure. but the only place they probably would ever let you try it would be the Deserts of So. CAL/ Arizona. You know- DEATH Valley lol

I think this is the right forum, I have the Air 2S, and was wondering the same thing about Litchi which I have, that if I create waypoints will it just do them but only if in range of my controller.

Here is my question, how far can either controllers go with signal? I feel like I can go maybe 2000 feet away MAYBE I forget. Yet, I do notice I lose RC signal a lot! I thought it's supposed to go like 13km or something. Where do you have to be to get that range, the desert?

What is the real range?
Well with trees, bushes or buildings in the way, I got about 1300' before signal breakdown. I didn't push it 'til it disappeared. I've flown 2 miles away with 4 bars when surveying a couple of quarries - but it was open and there was nothing between me and the drone plus there was zero RF interference. I had command of the airspace and a helpful spotter.
DJI's specs are under optimal conditions - clear line of sight and no interference.

What is the real range?
Ive had 4 miles on mine, direct line of sight with no metal cables etc, you could always hack it simply for double the range, plenty on YouTube or use antenna reflectors, I use Litchi VR with goggles, waypoint dont need signal can go a lot further. The range is short to control people in urban areas, fly where theres nobody and get a lot more range

4.6 miles out to sea with no issues.
3.9 miles over land/forest while sat higher up. No issues and could of gone further over land but didn't have any other spotters to help.
Use a range extender and controller modded out of the silly CE mode. Using rc-n1 controller.

The DJI Air 2S has a Transmission problem at 400m at the line-of-sight in-between buildings or trees, we lose transmission. It is dangerous and it becomes a Safety factor issue for DJI’s Customers. I hope that they will fix the problem because they have been ignoring it for a long time.
I am not fond of testing the boundaries of my Drone, but I expect that it should be good as they have advertised.
Personally, I don’t think that it’s needed to fly to look at transmission range. All we need to do is to have someone in a vehicle with the Drone Powered On and connected to the RC from a hilltop where the Control RC is situated and drive away in-line-of-sight without blocking the line-of-sight. We should be able to see clearly the camera on the screen keeping in contact with a second monitor in Video WhatsApp monitoring with the same image as the Drone. If the image starts to differ, we know that the transmission range starts to have problems at that point.

Reactions: PixelMagic
In the best conditions with nothing between the drone and the controller and NO interference
the range is 7.5 miles So WAY beyond the legal to fly range and the batteries range in the wind I would think. Remember you must keep the drone in site. or have a spotter or two,
I know someone who got permission to test it He went out to the middle of the desert probably no one around for 100 miles. He had to return home the drone because he didn't want to go and get it. So with FAA permission sure. but the only place they probably would ever let you try it would be the Deserts of So. CAL/ Arizona. You know- DEATH Valley lol
Hot air is terrible for lift, I would imagine the heat of Death Valley might noticeably reduce the lift on the rotors and blades and increase power consumption to maintain altitude.

Reactions: tls3601
The DJI Air 2S has a Transmission problem at 400m at the line-of-sight in-between buildings or trees, we lose transmission. It is dangerous and it becomes a Safety factor issue for DJI’s Customers. I hope that they will fix the problem because they have been ignoring it for a long time.
I am not fond of testing the boundaries of my Drone, but I expect that it should be good as they have advertised.
Personally, I don’t think that it’s needed to fly to look at transmission range. All we need to do is to have someone in a vehicle with the Drone Powered On and connected to the RC from a hilltop where the Control RC is situated and drive away in-line-of-sight without blocking the line-of-sight. We should be able to see clearly the camera on the screen keeping in contact with a second monitor in Video WhatsApp monitoring with the same image as the Drone. If the image starts to differ, we know that the transmission range starts to have problems at that point.
Maybe that's why they have 04 version now?

Spotters cannot extend the range of flight. RPIC and/or person on the sticks MUST be able to see the drone at all times during flight. FAA staff confirmed this in no uncertain terms for me recently.

Spotters cannot extend the range of flight. RPIC and/or person on the sticks MUST be able to see the drone at all times during flight. FAA staff confirmed this in no uncertain terms for me recently.
Thankfully the Transport Canada people have more sense. Trained vrew (spotters) can be used to maintain VLOS provided they are in immediate communication with the pilot (via radio etc), which effectively can extend the operating range.

Ive had 4 miles on mine, direct line of sight with no metal cables etc, you could always hack it simply for double the range, plenty on YouTube or use antenna reflectors, I use Litchi VR with goggles, waypoint dont need signal can go a lot further. The range is short to control people in urban areas, fly where theres nobody and get a lot more range
Hi, thanks for responding, so you are saying if I did waypoints with Litchi, then I wouldn't have to be in controller range? Just set them up, launch, and wait?

Hi, thanks for responding, so you are saying if I did waypoints with Litchi, then I wouldn't have to be in controller range? Just set them up, launch, and wait?
With the 2S, Litchi uses virtual sticks. When signal is lost, the drone returns home. Or whatever you have "lost connection" action set. It will NOT continue.

Well with trees, bushes or buildings in the way, I got about 1300' before signal breakdown. I didn't push it 'til it disappeared. I've flown 2 miles away with 4 bars when surveying a couple of quarries - but it was open and there was nothing between me and the drone plus there was zero RF interference. I had command of the airspace and a helpful spotter.
DJI's specs are under optimal conditions - clear line of sight and no interference.
Yes, I've managed about 1500' and didn't notice any problems. But that's about it for me, mentally. Beyond that, I just see dollar signs flying away over the horizon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman