DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Sample DNG's

Yes, I am aware of what Photoshop's content aware fill tool is and does. I'm pretty sure @GadgetGuy is, too.

Note that the lower portion of your new panorama does not include the duplicated imagery. It appears that you forced Photoshop to create a file with the full height of the left and right edges of the panorama so that it had to fill in the area below the arced lower edge of the stitched panorama. Cropping the lower edge to remove the void would have avoided the problem.
Lol? Huh? I don’t know why this is so hard

I just literally uploaded so people could see resolution and I even stated in my opening gambit to ignore the mess as it’s the photoshop fill errors. I didn’t try to create an art piece.

I wasn’t after help on what looks good or not. Like I said, content aware fill is the ONLY reason you see that duplication. Are you aware of that?

Reactions: maggior
It appears that you forced Photoshop to create a file with the full height of the left and right edges of the panorama so that it had to fill in the area below the arced lower edge of the stitched panorama.
You realise the above had just described what adobe content aware full is designed to do? The white blank areas in my second pano, is without adobe content aware fill. There isn’t any fill. The first one is with content aware fill.

Lol? Huh? I don’t know why this is so hard

I just literally uploaded so people could see resolution and I even stated in my opening gambit to ignore the mess as it’s the photoshop fill errors. I didn’t try to create an art piece.

I wasn’t after help on what looks good or not. Like I said, content aware fill is the ONLY reason you see that duplication. Are you aware of that?

Yes, your use of Photoshop's content aware fill tool is indeed the only reason for the distortion and duplication. But the distortion and duplication are readily avoidable by not invoking CAF in that area and cropping the lower edge of the panorama to form a straight edge.

It's unfortunate that offering that observation seems to be distressing you, but perhaps others reading here may find it beneficial. Thanks for posting the images. Enjoy the new drone.

Reactions: Torque
Yes, your use of Photoshop's content aware fill tool is indeed the only reason for the distortion and duplication. But the distortion and duplication are readily avoidable by not invoking CAF in that area and cropping the lower edge of the panorama to form a straight edge.

It's unfortunate that offering that observation seems to be distressing you, but perhaps others reading here may find it beneficial. Thanks for posting the images. Enjoy the new drone.
Sorry didn’t mean to cause offence. Overreacted maybe, apologies. I mentioned in the opening paragraph about the mishaps. Adobe is still poor with certain things unfortunately

Reactions: MS Coast
No sweat. Here's something else I was wondering about in that pano. I remember reports of one of the newer DJI drones introducing false colors in photos that included the dashed white lines on highways. Could something similar be happening on this cow? Have you seen this elsewhere in any of your shots with the Air 3?

Screenshot 2023-08-06 224156.jpg

No sweat. Here's something else I was wondering about in that pano. I remember reports of one of the newer DJI drones introducing false colors in photos that included the dashed white lines on highways. Could something similar be happening on this cow? Have you seen this elsewhere in any of your shots with the Air 3?

View attachment 166788
I haven’t no but I have not looked. I expect that would disappear with some correction for fringing. It’s because of the contract I think.

Greater inertia in the camera would reduces the gimbal's ability to respond to changes in the drone's position while responding to the drone's change in position.

Nope. Makes it more stable, for the same reason it makes the aircraft more stable if heavier. Simple physics.

More inertia simply means a greater force necessary to produce the same acceleration. Wind forces are the same no matter the mass of the drone. So all things being equal, a lighter drone will be displaced more quickly by the same impulse than a heavier drone, which results in greater pitch/roll error than with a heavier drone. You have no control over wind forces.

In contrast, you can engineer the controlled forces through motor power. A heavier drone can be made to respond with pitch/roll angular acceleration just as fast or faster than a lighter drone with more power.

The gimbal is exactly the same. It can be engineered to react every bit as fast as a lighter gimbal by using more powerful motors. The speed of gimbal movements is a design parameter.

However, external forces on the gimbal are the same regardless of what it weighs. The heavier it is, the less perturbation will result with the same transient impulse, requiring less correction by the stabilizing motors, making it more stable.

View attachment 166788

Yes, that's exactly what that is.

That looks like a lot of pixels, so I'm pretty sure a better demosaicing process could clean it up. Would be interesting to put the raw through a better demosaicing, like Lightroom's Enhanced Details.

Nope. Makes it more stable, for the same reason it makes the aircraft more stable if heavier. Simple physics.
I agree that the physics are simple. I disagree that a more massive gimbal is more desirable.

More inertia simply means a greater force necessary to produce the same acceleration. Wind forces are the same no matter the mass of the drone. So all things being equal, a lighter drone will be displaced more quickly by the same impulse than a heavier drone, which results in greater pitch/roll error than with a heavier drone. You have no control over wind forces.
Yes, agrees with what I said about overall drone stability.

In contrast, you can engineer the controlled forces through motor power. A heavier drone can be made to respond with pitch/roll angular acceleration just as fast or faster than a lighter drone with more power.
Yes, if the power can be made available without compromising other design objectives, such as weight and battery life.

The gimbal is exactly the same. It can be engineered to react every bit as fast as a lighter gimbal by using more powerful motors. The speed of gimbal movements is a design parameter.
Again, yes, if the power can be made available without compromising other design objectives, such as weight and battery life.

However, external forces on the gimbal are the same regardless of what it weighs. The heavier it is, the less perturbation will result with the same transient impulse, requiring less correction by the stabilizing motors, making it more stable.
Yes, the gimbal is subject to external forces and perturbations. Only a small portion comes from external forces acting directly on the gimbal, primarily wind forces. (We'll ignore birds, trees, and such for now.) A more massive gimbal would be more resistant to being yawed, pitched or rolled relative to the drone. But correcting those wind effects on the gimbal is a minor task.

The gimbal's primary, and more difficult, job is to directly and immediately compensate for the yaw, pitch, and roll of the drone. If the drone rolls left or right the gimbal must immediately and precisely roll right or left to keep the camera image stable. Same for the other two axes. The faster the gimbal can respond, both starting its movement and stopping its movement, the more stable the camera image. The gimbal needs to accelerate and decelerate quickly. Inertia is not your friend, here.

For better gimbal acceleration, make mass smaller or make force larger. But force comes only at the expense of motor power, which comes at the expense of greater weight and increased energy use from the battery. DJI seems to have minimized the mass of their cameras and gimbals.

But if a more massive gimbal would give better image stabilization, clever owners who need that special rock-steady shot would be attaching fender washers to the bottom of the camera and accepting the reduced flight time due to the added weight.

View attachment 166788
I see chromatic aberration like that in some of my photos with my cheaper lenses - especially near the edges.

I see chromatic aberration like that in some of my photos with my cheaper lenses - especially near the edges.

It's interesting that it shows up in several of the cows, especially the legs, but I don't see anything similar in the rest of the image.

There are a lot of interesting things in that panorama - lots of sailboats, lots of residential solar photovoltaic systems, and greenhouses.

Just played around a bit with these in LR. Wow oh wow do I also already love the long lens. Putting together a bracketed exposure with the long lens is fantastic and helps with lowering the noise. And your long lens pano is also fantastic (granted not without its correctable cloning "matters" that can be attended to). Thanks again for sharing. Can't wait to get mine in the air for a proper test.

Reactions: ShootingStills
It's interesting that it shows up in several of the cows, especially the legs, but I don't see anything similar in the rest of the image.

There are a lot of interesting things in that panorama - lots of sailboats, lots of residential solar photovoltaic systems, and greenhouses.
Haha yeah what you're seeing there is a very wealthy string of houses. Probably £5m a piece and a tonne of boats. I dont own one though before you ask 😉
I think the black / white pattern of the cows really bring out the magenta or blue colour issues that are much more common on the tiny sensors.

Just played around a bit with these in LR. Wow oh wow do I also already love the long lens. Putting together a bracketed exposure with the long lens is fantastic and helps with lowering the noise. And your long lens pano is also fantastic (granted not without its correctable cloning "matters" that can be attended to). Thanks again for sharing. Can't wait to get mine in the air for a proper test.
Yeah I agree totally. I am taking this little thing out Thursday with a mate. We do a bit of landscape photography together so will take it along and report back with some hopefully better images.

Its say to make a high quality 70mm F2.8 lens, hardly any distortion and flat field. So no surprise this is really high quality. I dont think I am going to use the wide much at all.

View attachment 166788
Looks like it. You can see it in some of the boat masts too. This is axactly the same issue I see with the Mini 3 Pro when shooting 48mp images.

A more massive gimbal would be more resistant to being yawed, pitched or rolled relative to the drone.

That's where your analysis fails.

Inertia and F=MA is nt relative to anything. Just as it isn't for the drone itself. It's a description of how a mass reacts to forces applied to it.

You're treating the gimbal w.r.t. the physics of mass and acceleration aa if it's different somehow, because it's attached to the drone mechanically. That makes no difference w.r.t. the plain, simplest of physics governing it's movement.

It's a simple problem. A force calculation. A 500kg gimbal would produce rock-steady images simply hanging from a dampened mount without any motors or active stabilization.

And it would be a cakewalk to spec an aircraft to carry it.

But if a more massive gimbal would give better image stabilization, clever owners who need that special rock-steady shot would be attaching fender washers to the bottom of the camera and accepting the reduced flight time due to the added weight.

Only fools would come to this erroneous conclusion, especially after understanding the mechanics and physics involved. Obviously, increasingly the weight of the camera module will have detrimental effects in controlling it without redesigning the motor control system, with more powerful motors, to handle the greater torques.

As we've already discussed.

Obviously this can be done. Compare the Mavic 3 Pro gimbal assembly to the Mavic Pro.

You acknowledged above that a heavier camera will be more resistant to perturbation from gusts; you acknowledged larger motors can provide the same speed and movement for a larger camera; we have the real-world example of this in the Mavic 3P.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I said that you're arguing with.

A whole lot of stuff in your post stating, "if other design parameters are not compromised". Well yeah, duh.

I present to you the Mavic 3 Pro, with a huge, heavy, 3-camera module. Is it's gimbal more or less stable for the same gust on account of it's mass? Does it's mass affect in any way how it responds, physically, to a 5N wind gust?

That's where your analysis fails.

Inertia and F=MA is nt relative to anything. Just as it isn't for the drone itself. It's a description of how a mass reacts to forces applied to it.

You're treating the gimbal w.r.t. the physics of mass and acceleration aa if it's different somehow, because it's attached to the drone mechanically. That makes no difference w.r.t. the plain, simplest of physics governing it's movement.

It's a simple problem. A force calculation. A 500kg gimbal would produce rock-steady images simply hanging from a dampened mount without any motors or active stabilization.

And it would be a cakewalk to spec an aircraft to carry it.
The gimbal is attached to the drone and moves with the drone. But the gimbal is also free to yaw, pitch, and roll relative to the drone. That motion is in separate from the motion of the rest of the drone. The gimbal and camera have to move relative to the drone as the drone moves in space.

If you want to move the gimbal, you have to apply a force to it, separately from the drone.The resulting motion is separate from the overall motion of the drone.

Consider your 500 kg gimbal attached to a drone hovering in flight. The drone carrying the gimbal would be very stable and negligibly affected by wind, updrafts, and downdrafts. Now suppose that a command or very severe gust moves the drone upward abruptly. Would your 500 kg gimbal tilt down in response more quickly than a 0.05 kg gimbal?

Have you glued any fishing sinkers to your drones' cameras to stabilize them yet?

Consider your 500 kg gimbal attached to a drone hovering in flight. The drone carrying the gimbal would be very stable and negligibly affected by wind, updrafts, and downdrafts. Now suppose that a command or very severe gust moves the drone upward abruptly. Would your 500 kg gimbal tilt down in response more quickly than a 0.05 kg gimbal?

I have no idea. It could react more slowly, more quickly, or the same.

Without the specs for the gimbal control hardware and control system, i don't have enough information to answer the question.

Have you glued any fishing sinkers to your drones' cameras to stabilize them yet?

Please stop with the stupidity.

I disagree with you. Vice versa. We're debating the points. Silly taunts aren't helpful.

Please address the Mavic 3P vs. the Mavic Pro w.r.t. to the arguments your making here.

My purpose in this discussion is understanding. I think you're mistaken, and therefore others are being misinformed. That's why I posted in the first place.

Again, I'm not sure what we're arguing about. You've already acknowledged the point I made about heavier camera modules and greater stability to the same perturbation as a lighter gimbal.

I've addressed your point about design constraints with the example of the Mavic 3 Pro.

I honestly don't know what your trying to accomplish other than stir up trouble with taunts about fender washers.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members