DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Sample DNG's

Without the application of 1,000 times the force, it would react more slowly.

Yeah... so?

Do you imagine that such a drone would be designed without that 1000x force?

What's your point? Are you even making one?

Greater inertia in a machine element that must accelerate and decelerate rapidly and precisely is not a desirable design attribute.
I disagree.

It's simply a design attribute. Whether it's desirable or a nuisance that must be accommodated with proper engineering is application-specific.

You continue to avoid addressing the heavy, 3-camera Mavic 3 Pro gimbal. Why?

I have no idea. It could react more slowly, more quickly, or the same.

Without the specs for the gimbal control hardware and control system, i don't have enough information to answer the question.

Please stop with the stupidity.

I disagree with you. Vice versa. We're debating the points. Silly taunts aren't helpful.

Please address the Mavic 3P vs. the Mavic Pro w.r.t. to the arguments your making here.

My purpose in this discussion is understanding. I think you're mistaken, and therefore others are being misinformed. That's why I posted in the first place.

Again, I'm not sure what we're arguing about. You've already acknowledged the point I made about heavier camera modules and greater stability to the same perturbation as a lighter gimbal.

I've addressed your point about design constraints with the example of the Mavic 3 Pro.

I honestly don't know what your trying to accomplish other than stir up trouble with taunts about fender washers.

From your post #19:
"Higher inertia of that big, heavy dual camera module actually makes easier on the gimbal motors to keep it pointed in the same direction."

From my post #20:
"Greater inertia in the camera would reduces the gimbal's ability to respond to changes in the drone's position..."

We don't want the gimbal to keep the camera pointed in the same direction. We want it to continually re-point the camera on three axes to compensate for changes in the drone's position and orientation. Greater inertia in the gimbal is not an asset. The greater inertia of the Mavic 3 Pro gimbal/camera compared to a Mini 3 Pro is a liability that required more powerful and heavier motors and the expenditure of more electrical energy.

You disagree with my general statement that: "Greater inertia in a machine element that must accelerate and decelerate rapidly and precisely is not a desirable design attribute."

As a tangible example, I suggested consideration of this real world situation. The Mavic 3 Pro has surplus lift capacity and surplus flight duration to shoot a three-minute video while hovering in gusty wind conditions 100 feet directly over the pilot. If higher inertia would make it "easier on the gimbal motors," then why wouldn't a pilot who desires the most stable video possible affix weights (lead fishing sinkers, washers, 00 shot) to the camera for the flight?

You and I are on different sides of the question. What do you say we ask other forum members with relevant backgrounds, experience, and interests, to offer their thoughts? Then we can get back to topics more germane to actual flying our drones.

As a tangible example, I suggested consideration of this real world situation. The Mavic 3 Pro has surplus lift capacity and surplus flight duration to shoot a three-minute video while hovering in gusty wind conditions 100 feet directly over the pilot. If higher inertia would make it "easier on the gimbal motors," then why wouldn't a pilot who desires the most stable video possible affix weights (lead fishing sinkers, washers, 00 shot) to the camera for the flight?

Because in your example, changing nothing else it would be detrimental to other performance factors and functionality, as well as the operation of the gimbal, not being designed for the heavier, weighted camera.

That's why people don't attach weights to their camera modules, and why I would never suggest they do.

Last edited:
Because in your example, changing nothing else it would be detrimental to other performance factors and functionality, as well as the operation of the gimbal, not being designed for the heavier, weighted camera.
Previously, "Higher inertia of that big, heavy dual camera module actually makes easier on the gimbal motors to keep it pointed in the same direction."

Detrimental or easier?

That's why people don't attach weights to their camera modules, and why I would never suggest they do.

Well, we do agree that people should not attach weights to their drone cameras.

We continue to disagree on whether greater mass and inertia in a drone gimbal would be beneficial to the gimbal's performance is keeping the camera image stable.

Inputs, anyone? I'm shifting into idle on this topic for now, resting the case on post #42.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Thank you for sharing some images, although apps are not yet able to correctly process Air 3 files for distortion & CA the images look quite good. I personally feel Air 3s whenever it comes should have built in aperture control to maximize edge sharpness.

Attachments

• DJI_20230806171743_0017_D.jpeg
    DJI_20230806171743_0017_D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_20230806171753_0019_D.jpeg
    DJI_20230806171753_0019_D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • DJI_20230806171835_0023_D.jpeg
    DJI_20230806171835_0023_D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Hi guys,

Here is a dropbox link to some DNG's... I am a moron, twice, I stuff it on 200 ISO not 100, and also left it on 16:9, took me 10 minutes to work out why I have 36.6mp images.

Anyhow, the new 70mm lens is really good. Its really strong across the frame, very sharp, will be amazing with AEB and panoramas.

I have uploaded on JPG here, so you can see the resolution when shooting just a 4 shot stitch to leave a circa 35mm field of view. Pano had 'content aware fill' applied to some weird smearing at the bottom, ignore it.

There is a more natural look to the images than the Mini 3 Pro, which seem to have more artefacts.
Definitely a slight improvement. I think 70mm will be the most used FL with stitching galore.
Nice, thanks!

This machine really is a beast. Flew it yesterday, I will post the images again to a fresh thread as the dropbox link is expiring today. 25mph wind with gusts up to 40mph and right on the top of the chalk cliffs on the coast, so the wind was coming from below, and the gimbal is rock steady. Numerous warnings though

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne