DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Sample DNG's

ShootingStills

Reactions
Hi guys,

Here is a dropbox link to some DNG's... I am a moron, twice, I stuff it on 200 ISO not 100, and also left it on 16:9, took me 10 minutes to work out why I have 36.6mp images.

Anyhow, the new 70mm lens is really good. Its really strong across the frame, very sharp, will be amazing with AEB and panoramas.

I have uploaded on JPG here, so you can see the resolution when shooting just a 4 shot stitch to leave a circa 35mm field of view. Pano had 'content aware fill' applied to some weird smearing at the bottom, ignore it.

There is a more natural look to the images than the Mini 3 Pro, which seem to have more artefacts.
Definitely a slight improvement. I think 70mm will be the most used FL with stitching galore.

Attachments

• JP.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 126
Yeah those 48MP images are much better than from the Mini3P , with AEB you can get rid of most of the noise on them.
Seems to create a lot less artifacts around some of the smaller details too, did see some on the masts of the boats but those were quite far away so it wouldn't be too noticeable anyways.

Thanks for sharing the samples

Reactions: ShootingStills
The panorama looks great overall. The detail is impressive. But, there are some very serious stitching errors, with duplicated imagery as well as blurring, across the width of the lower portion of the frame.

Was that a one-off problem or does it show up in other panoramas?

There are an astonishing number of sailboats in that river. Beautiful place.

The panorama looks great overall. The detail is impressive. But, there are some very serious stitching errors, with duplicated imagery as well as blurring, across the width of the lower portion of the frame.

Was that a one-off problem or does it show up in other panoramas?

There are an astonishing number of sailboats in that river. Beautiful place.
Hi there,

Don’t worry that isn’t stitching errors that’s just the ‘content aware fill’ for the blank areas in photoshop.

I didn’t look at the whole image myself but ignore any blurring on the outer edges or stitching issues. Just check the middle image. I can post the psd file showing your the stitch line

Detail is exceptional on the 70mm

Yeah those 48MP images are much better than from the Mini3P , with AEB you can get rid of most of the noise on them.
Seems to create a lot less artifacts around some of the smaller details too, did see some on the masts of the boats but those were quite far away so it wouldn't be too noticeable anyways.

Thanks for sharing the samples
I’m going to be using it properly Thursday on a landscape shoot somewhere. So will get back to you guys with more samples and maybe some edited images too over the weekend.

I agree there’s less artifacts. And the conditions were very bright and I didn’t notice the really highlight problems I did with the 3Pro. Also it takes only around 4/5 seconds for 3 shot Raw AEB whereas before with the Mini it would take 3/4 seconds for one image. I think the processing unit in the camera is much improved.

I’m going to be using it properly Thursday on a landscape shoot somewhere. So will get back to you guys with more samples and maybe some edited images too over the weekend.

I agree there’s less artifacts. And the conditions were very bright and I didn’t notice the really highlight problems I did with the 3Pro. Also it takes only around 4/5 seconds for 3 shot Raw AEB whereas before with the Mini it would take 3/4 seconds for one image. I think the processing unit in the camera is much improved.
Yup it is nearly impossible to take any usable bracketed 48mp shots with the M3P , takes too long to take one shot and after the drone's done taking the shot it has already shifted a bit so there would be some ghosting when stacking them.
That was my experience with M3P , so stopped trying to use it for photography 😁

That new improved sensor on the AIR3 really seems good

Yup it is nearly impossible to take any usable bracketed 48mp shots with the M3P , takes too long to take one shot and after the drone's done taking the shot it has already shifted a bit so there would be some ghosting when stacking them.
That was my experience with M3P , so stopped trying to use it for photography 😁

That new improved sensor on the AIR3 really seems good
I dont think I actually tried using AEB on the Mini 3. You made a good point, as the Mini is unstable in the air it moves a lot. That isn't the case on the Air, its seems rick steady, and Cine mode I think is more stable but didn't try it.

I dont think I actually tried using AEB on the Mini 3. You made a good point, as the Mini is unstable in the air it moves a lot. That isn't the case on the Air, its seems rick steady, and Cine mode I think is more stable but didn't try it.
Cine mode can't improve stability for stills when hovering.
It only affects the speed from the stick inputs when moving.

Ahh Ok, I thought I heard this somewhere. I want the old tripod mode to come back.
Tripod mode is no different. Neither Cine mode nor Tripod mode affects stability in a hover. Both are designed to give micro smooth control over intentional movement. As a still shooter, ideally you want no camera movement at all. You want a stable drone in a hover, even in wind. That's a function of the weight of the drone, not the sensitivity of the control stick inputs.

Reactions: maggior
Hi there,

Don’t worry that isn’t stitching errors that’s just the ‘content aware fill’ for the blank areas in photoshop.

I didn’t look at the whole image myself but ignore any blurring on the outer edges or stitching issues. Just check the middle image. I can post the psd file showing your the stitch line

Detail is exceptional on the 70mm

Seems like more than content aware fill.

Screenshot 2023-08-06 223925.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-06 224030.jpg

Yup! More like the clone stamp! Those are clear copies.
Are you guys both aware of what 'content aware fill' is? Its photohshop filling areas without any pixels with an educated guess... Effectively cloning nearby areas and filling in blanks. This isnt stitching. Stitching would be hard lines with clearly defined errors, not this. I will redo it and upload the one without 'fill' to shot you the overlap

For those non believers ;)

Here is the Botton that you check to make photoshop fill in blank areas. Check it to force it to fill in blank areas and uncheck to leave blank as I have done this time

For some reason I had to down res the image this time (different Mac) as file was too large.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 15.06.17.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 15.06.17.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • J Without CA Fill copy.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 11
Are you guys both aware of what 'content aware fill' is? Its photohshop filling areas without any pixels with an educated guess... Effectively cloning nearby areas and filling in blanks. This isnt stitching. Stitching would be hard lines with clearly defined errors, not this. I will redo it and upload the one without 'fill' to shot you the overlap
Yes, I am aware of what Photoshop's content aware fill tool is and does. I'm pretty sure @GadgetGuy is, too.

Note that the lower portion of your new panorama does not include the duplicated imagery. It appears that you forced Photoshop to create a file with the full height of the left and right edges of the panorama so that it had to fill in the area below the arced lower edge of the stitched panorama. Cropping the lower edge to remove the void would have avoided the problem.

Last edited:
Tripod mode is no different. Neither Cine mode nor Tripod mode affects stability in a hover. Both are designed to give micro smooth control over intentional movement. As a still shooter, ideally you want no camera movement at all. You want a stable drone in a hover, even in wind. That's a function of the weight of the drone, not the sensitivity of the control stick inputs.
Good post.

In addition, the weight of the camera module in the gimbal makes a difference too, for the same reasons. Higher inertia of that big, heavy dual camera module actually makes easier on the gimbal motors to keep it pointed in the same direction.

Good post.

In addition, the weight of the camera module in the gimbal makes a difference too, for the same reasons. Higher inertia of that big, heavy dual camera module actually makes easier on the gimbal motors to keep it pointed in the same direction.

Greater inertia in the camera would reduces the gimbal's ability to respond to changes in the drone's position. The image is less stable. The need for gimbal responses is related more to changes in the position of the drone than to external forces, like wind, displacing the gimbal.

Acceleration = Force / Mass

Greater inertia in the drone reduces the drone's response to external forces and assists in maintaining a stable position, making it easier for the gimbal to stabilize the image.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N