DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 - Sample DNG - Footage & an edit

ShootingStills

Reactions
Hi guys,

I have another set of images. Here is one from the 3x that I have edited in photoshop. They are not going to be the best images for checking sharpness and lens performance as the distant cliffs are around 5-8km away and it was a very hazy day.

Beachy Head LH J SM.jpg

It was extremely windy, I nearly didn't fly it, 25mph winds with gusts up to 35-40mph. But it didn't seem to bother it.

You guys are lucky, I never upload videos to YouTube but I have done one that I quite liked from Dorset of two birds. Without the 70mm lens I wouldn't be able to do this.

Here are the files from the trip. I have a 2GB max dropbox transfer so cannot include them all:

Cheers all

That is a nice shot of the lighthouse in by the cliffs. Would like to visit that place for sure.
Cheer's for the samples again, much appreciated Thumbswayup

The Scale of those cliff looks incredible to the LIghthouse, and wonder what the picture would look like with a little edting in lightroom. This came out stunning .

Screenshot of Lightroom ClassicScreenshot of Lightroom Classic (8-14-23, 8-55-49 AM).jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Are you registered and have the A2 C of C license to be able to do that flight?

I have an upcoming trip to England and I am undecided on whether to bother registering, getting the license and packing my drone.

Going to Bath and the Cotswolds. No restrictions but a lot of National Trust sites so I'd have to find places on the road to take off and land, is my understanding.

That is a breathtaking photo!!!!!!!!

My first thought, after the wow calmed down, was imagining building that lighthouse. That has to be a helluva story in itself!

That is a breathtaking photo!!!!!!!!

My first thought, after the wow calmed down, was imagining building that lighthouse. That has to be a helluva story in itself!
Ahh thank you that's kind of you. Here's the Wiki - Beachy Head Lighthouse - Wikipedia
It was built to replace the Belle Tout or something like that, that's now decommissioned and has been turned into a hotel of sorts.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The Scale of those cliff looks incredible to the LIghthouse, and wonder what the picture would look like with a little edting in lightroom. This came out stunning .

View attachment 167028

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

Thank you. Yes it's an impressive sight isn't it, that is the highest point on that part of the coast. This is the RAW file, it's been pretty heavily edited already. I like your version, I am trying to do with slightly lower contrast / saturation these days, but when I look side by side mine might need a tweak.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 17.38.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 17.38.15.png
    3 MB · Views: 10
Are you registered and have the A2 C of C license to be able to do that flight?

I have an upcoming trip to England and I am undecided on whether to bother registering, getting the license and packing my drone.

Going to Bath and the Cotswolds. No restrictions but a lot of National Trust sites so I'd have to find places on the road to take off and land, is my understanding.
Hi there,

Firstly the drone rules in the UK are a mess but they aren't as bad as you read online, you can fly under 3 sets of rules.

So no, I don't have the A2 CofC, instead I am a member of the BMFA whom are one of the 4 recognised in the UK and have passed a pretty extensive theory test. And am registered with the CAA and have operator ID etc.

The combination of the above allows be to fly 30m away from people including above their heads. However I still don't think I am allowed to fly within 150m of a residential home, which is fine as I naturally won't.

I would bring it, you won't be able to fly in Bath city as that's very built up but the cotswolds is countryside and outside of towns won't be 'built up' areas. So as long as you get the CAA / Operator ID and then limit yourself to non-built-up locations where you can stay 50m away from people you will be fine. That said, maybe research Cotswold drone shots to see if there's anything that intrigues you.

I think I have got the above right anyway.

This is from UK Gov site:

Essentially your responsibilities are:​

• to know how to fly your drone safely, and do so within the law
  • to understand that the operator is legally responsible for every flight
  • to keep your drone in sight at all times and stay below 400ft
  • not to fly your drone over a congested area, never fly within 50 metres of a person, vehicle or building not under your control
  • ensure any images you obtain using the drone do not break privacy laws
  • avoiding collisions, you should never fly a drone near an airport or close to aircraft. It is a criminal offence to endanger the safety of an aircraft in flight.

I would bring it, you won't be able to fly in Bath city as that's very built up but the cotswolds is countryside and outside of towns won't be 'built up' areas. So as long as you get the CAA / Operator ID and then limit yourself to non-built-up locations where you can stay 50m away from people you will be fine. That said, maybe research Cotswold drone shots to see if there's anything that intrigues you.

I think I have got the above right anyway.

This is from UK Gov site:

Essentially your responsibilities are:​

• to know how to fly your drone safely, and do so within the law
  • to understand that the operator is legally responsible for every flight
  • to keep your drone in sight at all times and stay below 400ft
  • not to fly your drone over a congested area, never fly within 50 metres of a person, vehicle or building not under your control
  • ensure any images you obtain using the drone do not break privacy laws
  • avoiding collisions, you should never fly a drone near an airport or close to aircraft. It is a criminal offence to endanger the safety of an aircraft in flight.
Thanks, I did look around Google Maps and didn't see too many drone shots around the villages.

Usually you find several at different destinations.

It appears parking, at least during peak tourist season, is a challenge in itself so I wonder about finding a relatively deserted area, which isn't private property, where I could pull over the car and do some flying.

I do like the Cotswold scenery but it's pretty flat, not as dramatic as those cliffs you flew around.

Thanks, I did look around Google Maps and didn't see too many drone shots around the villages.

Usually you find several at different destinations.

It appears parking, at least during peak tourist season, is a challenge in itself so I wonder about finding a relatively deserted area, which isn't private property, where I could pull over the car and do some flying.

I do like the Cotswold scenery but it's pretty flat, not as dramatic as those cliffs you flew around.
Are you bound to that area or would you drive around a little?

I don't know the cotswolds really at all. But I think they look beautiful. Depending on the time you have... See below.

You are near Bristol with the lovely Clifton Suspension bridge and great food and drink.
You are not that far from Cheddar either and cheddar gorge, its past Bath / Bristol.
If you want amazing food and you don't mind a drive down to south of bath, this place is amazing

I will spend 3 nights in Bath and 4 nights near Gloucestershire.

I've more or less planned to visit some of the villages around Gloucestershire, like within an hour drive.

Also may go as far as Blenheim Palace and Oxford, which are about 60-90 minutes away, but it depends on the weather -- if it's raining I probably wouldn't do long drives.

Though I'd love to get drone shots wherever I travel, I will also be packing a full-frame sensor camera so that gets the most use, especially in places I've never visited before.

But thanks for the tips, I may visit Bristol and I've heard about Cardiff as well.

I will spend 3 nights in Bath and 4 nights near Gloucestershire.

I've more or less planned to visit some of the villages around Gloucestershire, like within an hour drive.

Also may go as far as Blenheim Palace and Oxford, which are about 60-90 minutes away, but it depends on the weather -- if it's raining I probably wouldn't do long drives.

Though I'd love to get drone shots wherever I travel, I will also be packing a full-frame sensor camera so that gets the most use, especially in places I've never visited before.

But thanks for the tips, I may visit Bristol and I've heard about Cardiff as well.
To be honest, there's so many quaint villages and countryside to see in the cotswolds that it might not be worth travelling that far. Oxford is close and its a lovely city, extremely pretty architecture too and the university is stunning.

Cardiff is not worth visiting, in my opinion it's just a generic City. That said, Wales is gorgeous and if you get chance you should go to the Brecon Beacons, that is well worth seeing. Ahh lots of choice and little time.

We speak the same language, but you Brits get all the cool sounding towns, like Gloucestershire, while we Yanks get junk like Allentown and Shelbyville. Who the h*ll were Allen and Shelby, and really, who gives an eff?

Now, Gloucestershire. Yeah. Three syllables that require some thinking, with all sorts of ow'ing and shushing. It's just fun to say. And Chester is buried in there.

And this isn't even to coolest-named English town!

😁

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne