DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air Range Issue

Thats amazing its so amazing its almost unbelievable i was in Bali with zero interference in the middle of rice paddies and then at an isolated beach again zero is nterference 300 meters max, same in Australia so mabey there selling two different types of mavic Air

I’m sure you have already checked this but I’ll ask anyway.

Did you disable beginner mode?

Also did you enable max distance and set the distance to the highest number allowed?

If so then I really don’t know what it could be.

I’m sure you have already checked this but I’ll ask anyway.

Did you disable beginner mode?

Also did you enable max distance and set the distance to the highest number allowed?

If so then I really don’t know what it could be.
Yes did al that several times no luck changed frequencies etc now stuck with the leftovers, controller batteries etc I won’t even think of buying another one as the same could happen just feel ripped off

A few people posting online about a problem with unverifiable experience, methods, etc. is not evidence of a "known debilitating issue". Add to that the fact that people are exponentially more likely to post about problems than if they have a successful flight. A "known debilitating issue" would be, for example, something DJI might issue a service advisory about. Also of the several firmware updates DJI has released, this is not something they have had to address. Can you link me to a single objective, controlled test from a reputable source that clearly demonstrates some sort of widespread, debilitating, range issue? I have searched and I cannot find a single one.

I did not say anything at all to take anything away from people who have experienced a legitimate issue - there will always be some, usually an extreme minority, and that is what warranty is for. To claim something is a "known debilitating" issue demands a much higher burden of proof, certainly a lot more than the 5 people you are referencing against the thousands or millions of Mavic Air's sold. Almost every single range complaint I have read about involving the MA has been from the user being in CE mode (you can use FCC anywhere as per my previous post), or not orienting the antennae properly (45 degrees or flat sides facing the drone, and parallel). Every drone can run into problems in areas of extremely high interference, even the Mavic 2 Pro. Generally it is not a big deal though.

FCC mode is very easy to enable for Apple users - a simple search will provide you with the info ;) You're lucky to get 100-200M out of CE mode, I don't think many people actually use it. I wouldn't own a drone if that was the max range, but that is just me.
you have overlooked the demise "enhanced wifi" with variation fine-tune freq intended purposefully overcoming urbanization interferes (infrastruct&radiation)
Somehow man keeps expanding, from desert nothing into lasvegas, from open ocean into rival military airstrip

urban interferes are same? it never stops expanding?

Next time take your phone out and check for other wifi signals. I'm always amazed where I find wifi routers available on my phone. I fly rural with moderate landscape interference(trees, hills, houses) I've occasionally gotten signal warnings at 700ft, but often fly 1500ft(my personal VLOS Max) in the same area with strong signal. The only time I got a warning under 500ft, I brought the drone back and had forgotten to drop the landing gear where the antennae are.

Reactions: Capnfletch
Search the app store for "Floater" app. It will increase your range. I'm getting approx 1 Mile with mine in rural areas.
The transmission is between the RC and the AC, an app just shows the telemetry data and video feed from RC and sends commands the controller. An app communicates with MA only when WiFi control is used.

The transmission is between the RC and the AC, an app just shows the telemetry data and video feed from RC and sends commands the controller. An app communicates with MA only when WiFi control is used.
The GPS floater app itself does not increase the range; but it will trigger the RC to switch from the less powerful CE to the more powerful FCC mode of transmission, thereby increasing your range***.

Next time take your phone out and check for other wifi signals. I'm always amazed where I find wifi routers available on my phone. I fly rural with moderate landscape interference(trees, hills, houses) I've occasionally gotten signal warnings at 700ft, but often fly 1500ft(my personal VLOS Max) in the same area with strong signal. The only time I got a warning under 500ft, I brought the drone back and had forgotten to drop the landing gear where the antennae are.
By default the signal is 2.4GHz check your settings & then look for a 5.8 that's not busy & stable & select it.

By default the signal is 2.4GHz check your settings & then look for a 5.8 that's not busy & stable & select it.
A question on the topic ... you guys when using FCC - high channels, leave it in AUTO or CUSTOM - (fixed).
Which would be more appropriate?
I am from Brazil and here is EC - low channels (2.4), but the signal quality is incredibly superior in high channels (5.8) ... for this I have to customize all the time ... there is problem in leaving CUSTOM in the channel 149 or 153? What risk can there be?
I do not want to go very far ... something like 1km would be great in the city!

Try the FCC Mode hack, this will greatly increase your range. Search this forum for FCC mod ;)

So I did the "FCC mode", and ooh dear, before drone loses connection even when in hand. Now, I still get connection even with drone on the way to Mars.

The range limit had been bugging me. Your "FFC mode" comment got me digging and found the instructions

I thought the RC or Air's antennas had an issue. Thank you for the tip. It changes everything with the drone.

So I did the "FCC mode", and ooh dear, before drone loses connection even when in hand. Now, I still get connection even with drone on the way to Mars.

The range limit had been bugging me. Your "FFC mode" comment got me digging and found the instructions

I thought the RC or Air's antennas had an issue. Thank you for the tip. It changes everything with the drone.
Ok ism going to try it but when i was at the local hak mans place the otherday he said he just did it to an air and didnt make any difference ill try it and report back

Ok ism going to try it but when i was at the local hak mans place the otherday he said he just did it to an air and didnt make any difference ill try it and report back

For me, it made an exponential change. From not getting signal even when the drone is right in front of me, to flying as far as possible without losing signal.

I'll be doing more tests today

For me, it made an exponential change. From not getting signal even when the drone is right in front of me, to flying as far as possible without losing signal.

I'll be doing more tests today
It worked in fcc mode got 1100 meters very happy with that so just proves there useless if not in fcc mode anyway the enjoyment level and quality of clips much improved doing surf work over water alot so its great

A few people posting online about a problem with unverifiable experience, methods, etc. is not evidence of a "known debilitating issue". Add to that the fact that people are exponentially more likely to post about problems than if they have a successful flight. A "known debilitating issue" would be, for example, something DJI might issue a service advisory about. Also of the several firmware updates DJI has released, this is not something they have had to address. Can you link me to a single objective, controlled test from a reputable source that clearly demonstrates some sort of widespread, debilitating, range issue? I have searched and I cannot find a single one.

I did not say anything at all to take anything away from people who have experienced a legitimate issue - there will always be some, usually an extreme minority, and that is what warranty is for. To claim something is a "known debilitating" issue demands a much higher burden of proof, certainly a lot more than the 5 people you are referencing against the thousands or millions of Mavic Air's sold. Almost every single range complaint I have read about involving the MA has been from the user being in CE mode (you can use FCC anywhere as per my previous post), or not orienting the antennae properly (45 degrees or flat sides facing the drone, and parallel). Every drone can run into problems in areas of extremely high interference, even the Mavic 2 Pro. Generally it is not a big deal though.

FCC mode is very easy to enable for Apple users - a simple search will provide you with the info ;) You're lucky to get 100-200M out of CE mode, I don't think many people actually use it. I wouldn't own a drone if that was the max range, but that is just me.
Why are dji selling it to people that have to use ce mode if they know the thing only goes 300 meters? I would call that a debilitating issue when you pay 1500$ for something that can barely make it around the clothesline sounds like you need a report from cambridge to make it sink in 300 meters is 300 meters

Why are dji selling it to people that have to use ce mode if they know the thing only goes 300 meters? I would call that a debilitating issue when you pay 1500$ for something that can barely make it around the clothesline sounds like you need a report from cambridge to make it sink in 300 meters is 300 meters

Remember one word: Regulations. From factory, DJI can't enable certain things. In the hands of the User, whatever tweaks the User does, absolves DJI from any responsibility.

That's why communities like these exist, so user can be informed.

Hmm yesterday i got more than 500 meters distance at 100 meters high and thats EU CE mode.

Im content as you wont be able to see the MA when it goes 400meters distance anyways.

It could have gone 6-700 meters easily but where i flew it i knew there was a big power line.

No sluggishness or disconnecting from live feed also.

You simply have to switch to 2.4 GHz, then you can easily fly the Mavic Air a kilometer away, even in CE mode.

Greetings Hoffi

Reactions: droneloverair
Yes thats exactly what i did.

5.8 ghz gave me around 250-300 meters before saying about interferance.

With 2.4ghz i got more than 500 meters out and still has 3-2 bars out of 4 bars from the wifi icon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99