DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air Space restrictions changed

Jalatta

Reactions
When I got my MA last year I didn't have a problem flying it from my back yard. Then along came GEO fencing and I couldn't fly without getting a code or other bothersome rules.
Now, for the past few months, things have changed and I can fly with only a check mark and hitting yes. Also, I have noticed in other nearby places that I could fly with only a height limit warning of 198' or so. Maybe things are coming around after all.
The airport is within a 5-mile radius.

Don’t update ANYTHING, that’s my solution, if it’s working leave it be, updating just brings more restrictions, I haven’t done an update in 3 years and I’m a happy man, I can do and fly anywhere I could 3 years ago.

Reactions: Drgnfli
dylanthecat said the five airport rule does not exist.

I'm simply referring to the statement below.

As a hobbyist, the FAA's guidelines read that you must, “Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present when flying within 5 miles of an airport.” ... So long as you contact the airport and air traffic control tower, you can fly within five miles of an airport. Apr 19, 2018

As a hobbyist, the FAA's guidelines read that you must, “Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present when flying within 5 miles of an airport.” ... So long as you contact the airport and air traffic control tower, you can fly within five miles of an airport. Apr 19, 2018

Those rules have been superseded by the new FAA regulations that simply require recreational pilots to stay out of controlled airspace unless you have FAA authorization (which you can't get as a recreational pilot until the LAANC system goes live at the end of July).

Jalatta,
Definitely noticed that. A field I used to be able to launch and fly in two weeks ago is now restricted. I took off and go 4 said I was being forced to land in 10 seconds because I was in a restricted zone. I did let it update firmware and the no fly database (or whatever it's called)....guess that is the cause of it.

I've gotten LAANC authorization previously as a recreational flyer but I can't now.Confusing.

You shouldn't have ever been using LAANC as a recreational flyer. The system has always been limited to Part 107 pilots only.

Reactions: Thomas B
I've gotten LAANC authorization previously as a recreational flyer but I can't now.Confusing.

You may have submitted a flight plan under recreational rules, but you certainly didn't get any kind of authorization from LAANC. If, inadvertently or otherwise, you submitted under Part 107 rules then any authorization was only valid for Part 107 flights.

Reactions: Shon and Thomas B

It’s gotten a lot more complicated now and the only resource I trust is

Recreation pilots can’t fly in any of the colored boxes on the map. Everywhere else is ok. You are no longer required to call airports but can as long as you follow the first rule in this sentence. They don’t want us calling ATC anymore but no law against it as far as I know

Don’t update ANYTHING, that’s my solution, if it’s working leave it be, updating just brings more restrictions, I haven’t done an update in 3 years and I’m a happy man, I can do and fly anywhere I could 3 years ago.

Randy,
  • Hopefully you read the rest of the thread to see that the exact opposite happened. Restrictions were relaxed.
  • It was never a case of "updates are always more restrictive". It's a moving target, rules change rapidly, and you should keep up with them as best you can
  • If you repeatedly refuse to update, then you may find that you are flying illegally. If you're confronted by authorities, ignorance of the rules you decided not to follow is not going to help you.
You're not setting a good example for new flyers reading to this forum.

You ARE THE REASON (one of them) we are getting more restrictive rules -- you are proving to them that there are people that will not follow simple rules, so they have to make things more complicated. THANKS!

Chris

Reactions: dawgpilot
Randy,
  • Hopefully you read the rest of the thread to see that the exact opposite happened. Restrictions were relaxed.
  • It was never a case of "updates are always more restrictive". It's a moving target, rules change rapidly, and you should keep up with them as best you can
  • If you repeatedly refuse to update, then you may find that you are flying illegally. If you're confronted by authorities, ignorance of the rules you decided not to follow is not going to help you.

You ARE THE REASON (one of them) we are getting more restrictive rules -- you are proving to them that there are people that will not follow simple rules, so they have to make things more complicated. THANKS!

Chris
You might not be capable of following the rules without the training wheels of the GeoZone system but most of us are plenty capable.

Your accusations of illegal activity are completely unfounded. I would go so far to say that those who rely on the GeoZone system are far more dangerous then those learn the rules independently of them. GeoZones are too inaccurate to be useful.

I see a worrisome witch hunt in this forum aimed at people who would rather learn the rules of the NAS then rely on DJIs inaccurate GeoZone system. I think it perpetuates the belief that UAV pilots aren’t real pilots and don’t have the capability of following the rules without a forced GeoZone system.

I think this ideal is actually what causes the governments to tighten restrictions because there are shockingly few incidents involving UAVs and there has been plenty of time for them to happen going back to before the advent of GeoZone systems. Therefore the only thing that is changing is this notion that UAV pilots require this technology to fly safely and its sad to see this ideology perpetuated by other UAV pilots here ?

We should be helping pilots that have misunderstood something and supporting those who come to us with questions because clearly they are making the attempt to better their knowledge. Burning them at the stake publicly will drive people away from here and other UAV pilot resources meaning fewer pilots will get the benefits of our knowledge making the skies less safe.

Last edited:
I didn't say you were doing anything illegal, I said you may find yourself doing it if you don't keep current.

Chris
That’s not how it sounded

Reactions: Drgnfli
I ran into a funny situation the other day. I never update the 'fly safe database' but in one location it said the drone cannot take off because I was within 5 miles of an airport, however, I know there is no airport nearby, but there was one about 10 years ago. I updated the 'fly safe database' (or whatever its called) and boom, I was free to fly.

When I got my MA last year I didn't have a problem flying it from my back yard. Then along came GEO fencing and I couldn't fly without getting a code or other bothersome rules.
Now, for the past few months, things have changed and I can fly with only a check mark and hitting yes. Also, I have noticed in other nearby places that I could fly with only a height limit warning of 198' or so. Maybe things are coming around after all.
The airport is within a 5-mile radius.
What area do you live in

Given that the main concern most owners have about flying their drones is the possibility of a flyaway due to a software glitch, and that the developers can only fix said glitches through firmware updates, its pretty stunning that most owners don't update their firmware.

Reactions: BigAl07

You did something wrong there. LAANC was for Part 107 operstions only (and still is until it's revamped in a couple of weeks).

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife