DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

air2s dissapeared at 300ft during sunset

Just to throw a random thought into this discussion .... you live on a farm, it was night time, could it not have been an Owl attacking it and knocking the battery out? Just a thought :)
It is very possible. There are other very large birds in the area flying at night as well.

Reactions: KBF
what is there to analyze? if the log says calibration failure or sensor failure.....then would it not be calibration failure or sensor failure?
You've made it clear that you have no idea how drones work or what the recorded flight data can reveal.
No DJI log has ever shown "calibration failure" or "sensor failure" and it takes a lot more than a couple of glib words to explain a flight incident.
There would be a proper explanation for the short video you posted, but your guesses aren't even close.
are you kidding? What is this? The star ship Enterprise? it would say a Owl attacked it in the log?
An owl cannot knock out a drone or deftly remove the battery from a drone in flight without it showing in the pitch, roll and yaw data.

I have mowed with the same mower for years.... if he hit that battery its a 95% chance he would of known it.

I'd put the odds of finding a drone that landed 30 feet away on open ground after an hour of two of searching at about 95%, too.

Don't get your hackles up over the comments offered in response to your request. People have provided facts based on the log files. You've made some pretty "out there" suppositions and conclusions that aren't supported.

Keep us posted on how the repairs to the drone go.

Reactions: PAW and Meta4
I'd put the odds of finding a drone that landed 30 feet away on open ground after an hour of two of searching at about 95%, too.

Don't get your hackles up over the comments offered in response to your request. People have provided facts based on the log files. You've made some pretty "out there" suppositions and conclusions that aren't supported.

Keep us posted on how the repairs to the drone go.
I have been thinking about it....another far out theory of mine..... I have had this brown fox puppy hanging around for a few weeks.... I see him almost every night... I am beginning to wonder if he didnt smell me on that drone and was carrying it around for awhile that night..... that would explain how it wasn't there and then the next day it was.

I have been thinking about it....another far out theory of mine..... I have had this brown fox puppy hanging around for a few weeks.... I see him almost every night... I am beginning to wonder if he didnt smell me on that drone and was carrying it around for awhile that night..... that would explain how it wasn't there and then the next day it was.

Early in the 14th century, a Bavarian fellow named William of Ockham (or Occam) made the wise observation that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. That principle is taught today as Occam's Razor and subscribed to by folks from mechanics to engineers to pilots to philosophers. A phantom fox theft and return is far from the simplest explanation.

As for foxes, my neighbors have had frequent problems with foxes taking newspapers, shoes left on the porch, kid's toys, and such. The foxes take things and drop them, often in the same location away from the house. They're not noticed anything being carried around for long or being returned.

Early in the 14th century, a Bavarian fellow named William of Ockham (or Occam) made the wise observation that the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. That principle is taught today as Occam's Razor and subscribed to by folks from mechanics to engineers to pilots to philosophers. A phantom fox theft and return is far from the simplest explanation.

As for foxes, my neighbors have had frequent problems with foxes taking newspapers, shoes left on the porch, kid's toys, and such. The foxes take things and drop them, often in the same location away from the house. They're not noticed anything being carried around for long or being returned.
thats alright i am confident what happen to it. I have lost connection to the controller hundreds of times with absolutely no power loss. I live exactly 3 miles from the tallest tower in this part of the state of Ohio. There are dozens of transmitters on that tower including verizon, multiple cable tv companies, a radio station etc. My controller for whatever reason lost connection. Usually it reconnects half way thru returning home. This time it did not. In this case there was no logging of anything. from that point whatever the drone did or did not do it ostensibly plowed into the ground at an angle or upside down and chopped for a few seconds before it shut down upon which time the battery had been knocked loose by violent vibrations most likely. The rest of the story is a mystery. where it landed i am not sure. how it ended up where it was found i am not sure. All i know is i would of heard and seen it if it landed beside me.

You've made it clear that you have no idea how drones work or what the recorded flight data can reveal.
No DJI log has ever shown "calibration failure" or "sensor failure" and it takes a lot more than a couple of glib words to explain a flight incident.
There would be a proper explanation for the short video you posted, but your guesses aren't even close.

An owl cannot knock out a drone or deftly remove the battery from a drone in flight without it showing in the pitch, roll and yaw data.
i have in fact seen calibration failure many times. When i turned my drone on in the dark it will not function until i go thru this process of calibrating it. Also while flying, it gives me a warning about how it is to dark for the censors to function correctly. I do not remember the exact wording. so if when i start flying the drone it is light out during sunset and then as the sun falls it becomes dark at which time i get a warning about it being to dark for the sensors to function correctly " once again dont remember the exact wording"... i then zoom in to an object as it has become dark and i am getting this warning about darkness..... i dont understand how you do not see the connection between all of this. calibration failure at start up due to darkness ( in this case mid flight due to sunset) + oncoming darkness while in flight due to sunset + warnings about sensors not working correctly due to low light + zooming in to a celestial object in the dark = ?????

1712773880282.png
I am no expert but i have done several jobs with the likes of cnc type devices and have also done some light computer programming over the years.... i have seen what happens when you cause a conflict in the programming .... things go haywire.... i have also seen it happen in this drone multiple times while getting all these different warnings at the same time. it causes " glitches" or in the case of a drone....insane uncontrollable maneuvers.

Last edited:

hehehe. i got to thinking about it and i took the drone and sat it in front of my dog and said give that a whiff.... my dog sniffed it and started growling at it a little before i burst out giggling.....

she is gna keep an eye out from now on.... she will be damned if that goes on out here :)

1712774953902.png

Reactions: KBF
thats alright i am confident what happen to it.
You are wrong with the fantasy you've concocted and wrong to be so confident in your limited understanding of how your drone works.
I have lost connection to the controller hundreds of times with absolutely no power loss.
And you've never before lost connection because the drone lost power.
But that doesn't mean it could never happen.
I live exactly 3 miles from the tallest tower in this part of the state of Ohio. There are dozens of transmitters on that tower including verizon, multiple cable tv companies, a radio station etc. My controller for whatever reason lost connection. Usually it reconnects half way thru returning home. This time it did not. In this case there was no logging of anything.
How do you explain the LEDs going out at the same time?
If you only lost connection, the drone would have returned to home as that was the Loss of Signal action you had selected.
How can you explain it's failure to do that?
from that point whatever the drone did or did not do it ostensibly plowed into the ground at an angle or upside down and chopped for a few seconds before it shut down upon which time the battery had been knocked loose by violent vibrations most likely.
And why didn't you hear the drone zooming around and crashing when you've said everything was calm and quiet?
The rest of the story is a mystery. where it landed i am not sure. how it ended up where it was found i am not sure. All i know is i would of heard and seen it if it landed beside me.
The ridiculous, complicated story you choose to believe rather than facts, requires a number of impossible things to have happened simultaneously.
What actually happened just requires the power to have been cut and gravity did the rest.
i have in fact seen calibration failure many times. When i turned my drone on in the dark it will not function until i go thru this process of calibrating it.
You've ignored the detailed explanation I gave in post #24
You haven't shown anything to explain "calibration failure" , but what you have said indicates that you know almost nothing about calibrating anything on the drone, what it does, and how it works.
Also while flying, it gives me a warning about how it is to dark for the censors to function correctly. I do not remember the exact wording. so if when i start flying the drone it is light out during sunset and then as the sun falls it becomes dark at which time i get a warning about it being to dark for the sensors to function correctly " once again dont remember the exact wording"... i then zoom in to an object as it has become dark and i am getting this warning about darkness.
The warning you are referring to is simply advising that the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work without sufficient light.
It doesn't mean the drone will fly off unpredictably.
.... i dont understand how you do not see the connection between all of this.
There's so much you don't understand, starting with how limited your drone knowledge is.
But somehow you are confident that the people you asked to help, know less that you !!
calibration failure at start up due to darkness ( in this case mid flight due to sunset) + oncoming darkness while in flight due to sunset + warnings about sensors not working correctly due to low light + zooming in to a celestial object in the dark = ?????
All nonsense, that you completely misunderstand.
I am no expert
You've demonstrated that perfectly.
but i have done several jobs with the likes of cnc type devices and have also done some light computer programming over the years.... i have seen what happens when you cause a conflict in the programming ...
The conflict in this case was between what happened and your addled interpretation of things you don't understand.
things go haywire.... i have also seen it happen in this drone multiple times while getting all these different warnings at the same time. it causes " glitches" or in the case of a drone....insane uncontrollable maneuvers.
You haven't seen anything "go haywire".
You've seen things you were not capable of understanding.
The understanding of those incidents could have been achieved by a proper analysis of the flight data and you could have learned what actually happened, why it happened and how to prevent it happening in future.

Instead you dismiss detailed and experienced help and make up a complete fantasy.

At this point your responses have become uninformed trolling.
Trying to explain anything to you is wasted effort, but I've posted this in the hope it may be useful information for someone else.

You are wrong with the fantasy you've concocted and wrong to be so confident in your limited understanding of how your drone works.

And you've never before lost connection because the drone lost power.
But that doesn't mean it could never happen.

How do you explain the LEDs going out at the same time?
If you only lost connection, the drone would have returned to home as that was the Loss of Signal action you had selected.
How can you explain it's failure to do that?

And why didn't you hear the drone zooming around and crashing when you've said everything was calm and quiet?

The ridiculous, complicated story you choose to believe rather than facts, requires a number of impossible things to have happened simultaneously.
What actually happened just requires the power to have been cut and gravity did the rest.

You've ignored the detailed explanation I gave in post #24
You haven't shown anything to explain "calibration failure" , but what you have said indicates that you know almost nothing about calibrating anything on the drone, what it does, and how it works.

The warning you are referring to is simply advising that the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work without sufficient light.
It doesn't mean the drone will fly off unpredictably.

There's so much you don't understand, starting with how limited your drone knowledge is.
But somehow you are confident that the people you asked to help, know less that you !!

All nonsense, that you completely misunderstand.

You've demonstrated that perfectly.

The conflict in this case was between what happened and your addled interpretation of things you don't understand.

You haven't seen anything "go haywire".
You've seen things you were not capable of understanding.
The understanding of those incidents could have been achieved by a proper analysis of the flight data and you could have learned what actually happened, why it happened and how to prevent it happening in future.

Instead you dismiss detailed and experienced help and make up a complete fantasy.

At this point your responses have become uninformed trolling.
Trying to explain anything to you is wasted effort, but I've posted this in the hope it may be useful information for someone else.
this is whats wrong with the world today.... especially in America.... you could say something ten times and not once does another person hear it. not once. You could type it out as i have.....still it does not register in their brain. Everything Meta4 claims is based on evidence that does not exist. Even the claim that i am ignorant and making things up is based on evidence that does not exist. The claim that the leds where out....no evidence to suggest that.... the drone would of returned home if only a connection was lost. No evidence. the claim that the drone does not fly off when the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work....i have video of it happening. my limited knowledge ... no evidence.

the fact is it did not crash nor land within my eyesight. therefore everything Meta4 claims is impossible.

If you prick me do i not bleed? then dont tell me i was not pricked and just bled because of every other possible scenerio

gun control is in fact ignorant. criminals do not follow the law.

• Haha
Reactions: Beet
In my eyes, the most obvious solution here has already been mentioned, at least twice.

The battery failed. Without power, the drone dropped to the ground. Occam's Razor does apply here. Whether you heard it hit the ground or not is quite irrelevant. It also explains why it didn't RTH without all the complications you're throwing in. This is the most likely answer.

It may not have come straight down, it may have drifted a little bit. I've seen videos where people deliberately stop the props and the drone never seems to drop directly down. This would explain why you didn't see it. It probably landed a little way away and then got a glancing hit by the mowing man.

But this is just going round in circles now. Unlike the props on your drone when the battery failed.

• Haha
Reactions: scott492010
this is whats wrong with the world today.... especially in America.... you could say something ten times and not once does another person hear it. not once. You could type it out as i have.....still it does not register in their brain. Everything Meta4 claims is based on evidence that does not exist.
That's completely correct ... except that you put my name in instead of yours.your

No evidence. the claim that the drone does not fly off when the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work....i have video of it happening. my limited knowledge ... no evidence.
On top of all the other nonsense you've posted, this is probably the most preposterous.
It's indicative of the woeful state of your understanding of how drones work.
You are Dunning-Kruger personified.

You don't have a video of a drone flying off when the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work.
You have a video of a drone wandering and never bothered to look into the explanation that the recorded flight data would have given.

Your ignorant trolling is beyond tedious.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
That's completely correct ... except that you put my name in instead of yours.your

On top of all the other nonsense you've posted, this is probably the most preposterous.
It's indicative of the woeful state of your understanding of how drones work.
You are Dunning-Kruger personified.

You don't have a video of a drone flying off when the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work.
You have a video of a drone wandering and never bothered to look into the explanation that the recorded flight data would have given.

Your ignorant trolling is beyond tedious.
i did in fact bother to look into the explanation that the recorded flight data would have given. I just do not have it to show you because it is no longer available on airdata.com.

I am gna use that "Dunning -Kruger effect " in future conversations. :)

Obviously, you all think i am that deaf, dumb, and blind kid who plays the silver ball. But I am very aware of my surroundings and i know i would of seen the drone hit the ground. I know i would of heard it. that big light on the building is not just there for show.

1712916068977.png

i still think it landed on the other side of the building.....or crashed...... and that **** fox was dragging it around.... i had my truck out that night so i went back and low and behold what did i find on the dash cam approx. 20 minutes after it all happened..... the dog chasing the fox around the building.... I am telling you i am cursed by this blessed fox who wont leave me alone :)

the claim that the drone does not fly off when the obstacle avoidance sensors cannot work....i have video of it happening. my limited knowledge ... no evidence.

I'll offer some evidence on that topic. That sensors not available message appears on all my DJI drones every time I fly at night and late dusk or early dawn, when the light level is low. It never causes the drone to "fly off."

Reactions: mobilehomer
i did in fact bother to look into the explanation that the recorded flight data would have given. I just do not have it to show you because it is no longer available on airdata.com.
The flight data is on your control device. You have been told how to retrieve it.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
@scott492010 , the analyze in post #7 is the most probable based on both the log data, previous incidents regarding power losses & general experience in how DJI drones work.

The purpose with this section in the forum is to give a OP, free assistance to understand the most probable cause, this to use in discussions with DJI or/and as a lessons learned. A second important purpose is to share this lessons learned with all others here on the forum. In this, it's always best to keep it to hard facts (from the log) & reasonings according to usual DJI drone behavior (from experience out of investigating numerous of incidents here in the forum)...

In the end, when all is said & done... you're always free to believe whatever you like.

i did in .................
I'm not going to plough through the thread again but I thnk you said the drone was working. If so and if you want to get some, based on fact, idea of what happened, download the DAT from the drone and send it to DJI for analysis.
They may charge for this.

The DAT on the drone is recorded internally within the drone and not subject to controller disconnections.
If the crash whatever was not a simple battery disconnection then the drone's DAT should cover the period from drone switch on, through disconnection and landing, to drone switch-off/battery_exhaustion.

That said the crud on the battery reminds me of the residue I find when cleaning mulched grass from the lawn mower, I think the mower hit the battery at least.

As for damage to the right rear prop, to me that looks like damage to the blade's trailing edge.
If correct my guess of the cause is that the tip of that blade was stopped dead by something and that the other blade on that motor came round and smacked into the damaged blade's trailing edge.

I've seen similar damage on an m2p blade where the blade caught a piece of solid wood and would have stopped dead or been 'dragged' backwards relative to the motor.
The impact with the wood would have been to the leading edge but the damage to the blade was to the trailing edge. I think the above was the mechanism of that damage.

I would guess that if you turn the damaged blade to its limit of REVERSE travel and then turn the other blade fully forward, the leading edge other blade will meet the damaged blade at the point of damage.

You don't show enough of the front left prop to judge anything, if 'judgement' is even possible.

If you think the drone 'took off' and yet say you were/are, at night, able to see the drone at great distance thanks to the existing LEDs, how then do you explain it becoming invisible in what I assume were the few seconds that you were looking at the screen and not the drone?
Surley it couldn't have flown out of the range of your eyesight in those few seconds ?

My first thought would be it became invisible because the LEDs switched off due to some sort of power failure. Of course it is possible that zooming did something that screwed up the control system but we will never know a fact based reason unless DJI decrypt the DAT from the drone and tell you.

If you send the DAT in I suggest you ask them if they can send you csv's etc of the decrypted DAT.
Whether or not they will do that is anybody's guess.
Aside from anything else I am sure some people here would love to get a look at such csv's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feek
I'll offer some evidence on that topic. That sensors not available message appears on all my DJI drones every time I fly at night and late dusk or early dawn, when the light level is low. It never causes the drone to "fly off."
when that warning comes up at the same time as "compass needs calibrated" it does. please do not quote me on exact wording of the warning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972