DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

air2s dissapeared at 300ft during sunset

scott492010

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
I was attempting to capture the comet with my air2s. I had it at 300ft in normal mode. 4k 30fps. I decided to zoom in on Jupiter because it was visible while nothing else was yet. As soon as i zoomed in to Jupiter the controller disconnected and i looked up where it was seconds before and it was gone. I first searched the sky in every direction but i was in the farm yard and could not see past the building surrounding me. I then drove around the buildings hoping to see it flashing on the ground. No luck what so ever.

Does anybody have any ideas how to locate it. its still not connecting to my controller.

Reactions: RodPad
Does anybody have any ideas how to locate it
The data in your flight log might help track it down. You can upload and view your flight log online here.

After you upload your flight log, feel free to share the link here if you'd like others to review it.

I am taking a break at the moment. i will have to run out to my truck here in a minute to get the controller and tablet to upload the flight log. Neverthless, wouldnt it stop logging the flight the moment it disconnected from the drone?

I attempted to capture the comet using my samsung S23Ultra with the expert raw app in astrophotography mode. Maybe where the arrow is pointing might maybe possibly be the comet. i am not sure. while i was doing this a **** fox came up and my dog chased it all over the farm yard. it was chaos. I might have got the fox and dog on my dash cam. I will be checking it here in a few minutes as well.

20230611_022045B.jpg435895326_10160108801827717_2417432456119233475_n.jpg

wouldnt it stop logging the flight the moment it disconnected from the drone?
Yes. But, having some data to work with is better than none at all.

And then if you have a good understanding of how DJI drones work, you can usually make an educated guess as to what happened after the aircraft disconnected.

Everything looks normal at the end of the flight log. It appears the remote controller disconnected due to a bad signal (perhaps you were standing directly below the aircraft).

It should have landed close to here.

I was attempting to capture the comet with my air2s. I had it at 300ft in normal mode. 4k 30fps. I decided to zoom in on Jupiter because it was visible while nothing else was yet. As soon as i zoomed in to Jupiter the controller disconnected and i looked up where it was seconds before and it was gone. I first searched the sky in every direction but i was in the farm yard and could not see past the building surrounding me. I then drove around the buildings hoping to see it flashing on the ground. No luck what so ever.

Does anybody have any ideas how to locate it. its still not connecting to my controller.
Your drone was 317 feet directly above you and hovered there for 7 minutes where you could see it..
After 7 minutes you lost the connection and lost sight of the drone.
If you had simply lost signal, the drone would have returned to home as that was the failsafe action in your settings.
But it didn't.
You lost signal and sight of the drone because the drone lost power.
There's only one outcome when the drone loses power.
Since it was directly above you, hovering in calm conditions it would have come down very close to where you launched from and about 7 seconds after signal was lost.
If it's not on the ground, perhaps it hit the roof.
But you should have been able to hear that if it did.

Your drone was 317 feet directly above you and hovered there for 7 minutes where you could see it..
After 7 minutes you lost the connection and lost sight of the drone.
If you had simply lost signal, the drone would have returned to home as that was the failsafe action in your settings.
But it didn't.
You lost signal and sight of the drone because the drone lost power.
There's only one outcome when the drone loses power.
Since it was directly above you, hovering in calm conditions it would have come down very close to where you launched from and about 7 seconds after signal was lost.
If it's not on the ground, perhaps it hit the roof.
But you should have been able to hear that if it did.
i launched the drone from the tonneu cover of my truck which remained parked there for an hour after this incident. I never heard anything.... and I searched a dozen times .... that drone is nowhere to be found. maybe i will have more luck in the morning....but yes...i was directly below it setting up my phone to take astrophotography shots.....

I know you do not want to hear this, but since you were trying video tape the Comet and Jupiter was visible, you were flying after dark and you know very well that a strobe light is required...

And if you had a strobe on and operating, you would not have lost sight of your drone...

Just saying... Perhaps others will learn from your experience...

I know you do not want to hear this, but since you were trying video tape the Comet and Jupiter was visible, you were flying after dark and you know very well that a strobe light is required...

And if you had a strobe on and operating, you would not have lost sight of your drone...

i am sorry but i doubt that strobe would of made a difference..... it stands out like a sore thumb with the red and green lights..... unless it launched up into space...... but i would of seen it up to 2 miles in any direction..... the sick thing is the strobe was on it but it just wasnt turned on hehehehe.

remember that movie with chevy chase....him and his wife get that new dog...they get home open the car door and the dog takes off running? every couple days he is outside and sees that dog run by..... well thats gna be me with that drone hehehehehe

actually.....you know what....i bet one of those **** deer are laying in the woods somewhere chewing on it right now

i think i am gna get a airtag for my other drone.

When recording with the A2S the front lights will automatically turn off. What I like about the A2S is the landing light on the belly which is very handy for such a procedure. It can be set on the rc function button for off/on and is VERY bright at 400’. In fact, I’ve always wondered why DJI never incorporated this light on all their drones. Besides being great for nighttime landings it is great for confirming your spot in the sky…especially when overhead. How many of you out there do the same. It’s one of my favourite features on the A2S. Good luck with your search and rescue. I do have one question. What rc controller were you flying the A2S with?

👍🇨🇦

Reactions: RodPad and MS Coast

Aliens.

The gentlemen who mows found the drone at 1pm ish. I must of walked by this drone a dozen times. Almost drove over it last night apparently. "B" on the map shows where the battery was found. Looks like it was caught by the mower and flung over where it was found. So far it appears that the drone lost power at some point and crashed to earth landing in the gravel approx. 30ft - 50ft from its take off point. It landed hard enough to eject the battery to god only know where. The pieces broken off the drone are no where to be found so i surmise it may have rolled or tumbled a bit maybe. Considering it did not land according to its gps i am currently assuming it had shot straight up to extreme altitude until the battery went dead upon which time it fell. The battery seems to be a complete loss and is disfunctional. I inserted a fresh battery in the drone and fired it up. The drone seems to be fully functional. I have not had a chance to fly it but i believe the drone is completely recoverable.

bf2598cc-fa9e-453a-891b-a7c94b8dc9ff.jpg

3da55a76-d275-47ec-9acf-f0db71178205.jpg

Drone.Found.map.jpg

20240407_144005.jpg

20240407_144031.jpg

When recording with the A2S the front lights will automatically turn off. What I like about the A2S is the landing light on the belly which is very handy for such a procedure. It can be set on the rc function button for off/on and is VERY bright at 400’. In fact, I’ve always wondered why DJI never incorporated this light on all their drones. Besides being great for nighttime landings it is great for confirming your spot in the sky…especially when overhead. How many of you out there do the same. It’s one of my favourite features on the A2S. Good luck with your search and rescue. I do have one question. What rc controller were you flying the A2S with?

👍🇨🇦
RC-N2

Considering it did not land according to its gps i am currently assuming it had shot straight up to extreme altitude until the battery went dead upon which time it fell.
I’d have thought it’s more likely that the battery just failed and it dropped. Maybe it had swollen slightly and that killed the connection.

At least you’ve been able to recover the drone now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J