DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2s undercarriage feels “hot” after flying - Normal??

zlek131

Reactions
Yesterday was my 10th or so Air2s flight. Sunset flight in Denver with 86 degree outside temp. All my flights are photography related so I am not pushing the drone whatsoever. Yesterday’s flight was about 1500 feet out at 300 feet altitude, at slow speeds (never in a hurry...). I do tend to hover a lot while shooting with minimal adjustments one way or another. When all done (15 mins) I cruised back to home point and landed. When I picked up the drone to fold it and put it away I noticed that the undercarriage/belly felt hot. I wold say definitely hotter than what I recall my M2Pro feels like after similar flight. Not like burn your hand hot, but certainly beyond what I would consider warm. The battery felt fine/normal which I did decide take out as there is no reason for it to potentially absorb some of that heat as the drone is cooling down.

Was wondering if this is normal to be expected behavior?

Thanks Matt.

@zlek131 the underside of the drone is one big heatsink and is designed to dissipate the heat from the internals of the drone, it does this when the drone is flying by the cooler air flowing over it ,if you are just hovering taking pics ,then the lack of airflow through the drone and over the heatsink will cause it to run hotter

@zlek131 the underside of the drone is one big heatsink and is designed to dissipate the heat from the internals of the drone, it does this when the drone is flying by the cooler air flowing over it ,if you are just hovering taking pics ,then the lack of airflow through the drone and over the heatsink will cause it to run hotter
That certainly makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for your feedback.

I noticed that as well although I’m flying in hot are and in summer! I had MA2 before and it wasn’t as hot as the Air 2s, I also noticed that the fan sound goes on immidetly once you started the drone unlike the MA2 .. I guess it’s normal

I noticed that as well although I’m flying in hot are and in summer! I had MA2 before and it wasn’t as hot as the Air 2s, I also noticed that the fan sound goes on immidetly once you started the drone unlike the MA2 .. I guess it’s normal
That tells me there's more "going on" inside of the A2S, but I'm impressed with how the MA2 dissipates heat as I don't hear the fan that much.

whenever a larger camera and extra sensors are added to an airframe ,as in the difference between the original A2 and the A2s then a by product of that, is an increase in the heat that the operation of those additions produce during flight, its ok reducing the size of a drone to make it easier to transport and improve flight time by weight reduction, but that reduction then has the effect of having to reduce the size of all the components inside the drone and this includes the cooling fan and in the case of the Mavic mini 1 and 2 leaving out the fan altogether

Yesterday was my 10th or so Air2s flight. Sunset flight in Denver with 86 degree outside temp. All my flights are photography related so I am not pushing the drone whatsoever. Yesterday’s flight was about 1500 feet out at 300 feet altitude, at slow speeds (never in a hurry...). I do tend to hover a lot while shooting with minimal adjustments one way or another. When all done (15 mins) I cruised back to home point and landed. When I picked up the drone to fold it and put it away I noticed that the undercarriage/belly felt hot. I wold say definitely hotter than what I recall my M2Pro feels like after similar flight. Not like burn your hand hot, but certainly beyond what I would consider warm. The battery felt fine/normal which I did decide take out as there is no reason for it to potentially absorb some of that heat as the drone is cooling down.

Thanks Matt.

I flew in Sport Mode , and the under carriage was 117 F and the motors 98 F .

Never noticed the Heat because of the Neoprene Wet Suit protecting it. but its normal . 115 is nothing for the Aluminum Motors or the Under Carriage.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your AIR 2S in the Rain

Air2S : No worries even when my batterries reach 160F. Sometimes 170F. Its only that internal batt temp for about 10 minutes max while returning to home in sport mode or doing an entire flight in sport mode. The last 10 minutes that's when the battery gets that hot. Owned my A2S for 2mnths and had MavAir2 for a year running at those temps and high speeds. Never had an issue with battery swelling, motors, or performance. Battery life will probably be shorter than most people, but I don't mind getting a couple new ones every year or so.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

Thanks Matt.
Yes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s