DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Antenna Mod

We have positively determined that only one port transmits (TX) on both the mavic and remote controller.

We have positively determined that the other port only receives (RX) on both the mavic and remote controller.

I was able to determine that what we call the TX port is actually a TX/RX combo port (the other port is RX only).

Moving forward we should probably call the TX port the TX/RX port, or just assume if someone refers to the TX port it is actually the TX/RX port. And the other port stays the same as simply the RX only port.

You can disconnect the RX port on both the mavic and controller and fly business as usual. I suspect they employ the dual RX antennas to take advantage of some diversity technologies you commonly see in this space (that is way to complex to discuss in this thread).

Is this clear as mud??
Id say crystal!

J
We have positively determined that only one port transmits (TX) on both the mavic and remote controller.

We have positively determined that the other port only receives (RX) on both the mavic and remote controller.

I was able to determine that what we call the TX port is actually a TX/RX combo port (the other port is RX only).

Moving forward we should probably call the TX port the TX/RX port, or just assume if someone refers to the TX port it is actually the TX/RX port. And the other port stays the same as simply the RX only port.

You can disconnect the RX port on both the mavic and controller and fly business as usual. I suspect they employ the dual RX antennas to take advantage of some diversity technologies you commonly see in this space (that is way to complex to discuss in this thread).

Is this clear as mud??

Or maybe the RX antenna is just built-in redundancy.

It is the bottom plate (not the top cover), this is the easiest part of the bird to take apart.
I thought you had to take the top off to get to the solder points. I will have to take the top off anyway to run my wires out. Now I'm talking about the battery mod.

I thought you had to take the top off to get to the solder points. I will have to take the top off anyway to run my wires out. Now I'm talking about the battery mod.

You lost me buddy, I have no idea what you are talking about :)

Sorry, I was in antenna mod mode. I just realized you switched topics!

Yes, you have to take the top cover off. There are a half dozen youtube videos showing the steps.

cheap is the right word! warning, the sma connectors break off those regularly! I went through half a dozen of those in the p2 days, very attractive price, and may work but not like sunhans or chinese black 4w's.
I used them for p2 birdside and controller mods, 4 of them the sma broke off, a couple others that did last a month burnt up. these days you could use some $30 harris solder to reinforce the fragile sma stem but I wouldn't expect enough life or performance to make their cheap price and 2 1/2 week wait worth it.
Jus sharin my experience [emoji41]

Hey dirtybum, I could not resist tearing apart one of the off brand 2W amp's.

It looks like over the years they have heeded your advice. They have welded the SMA connectors on both sides of a reinforced metal shell. I tried to tear them apart from both SMA connectors pulling as hard as I could, no dice. You could use this thing to tow your boat!!

Now I can't wait to test and compare this to the sunhams 3W amp.

dronemods-068.png

Reactions: MrsTreat
Great progress beanbubba, cutting edge stuff right there.

I'm currently researching the possibility to design a minature antenna tracker with helical directional antennas to mount under the Mavic Pro. The tracking helical antennas with a 2W phantom amp would boost the range significantly.

I think it should be done with a small 1-axis "gimbal" that consists of a micro servo (360 functionality only, no tilt) and a Arduino/Rasberry Pi Zero with a gps module. Before takeoff you reset the GPS home point and the tracking begins.

For more reading on helical antennas:
Circularly Polarized Helical antenna 7.5 -13 dbi - New: Wave Trap match! - RC Groups!

More reading on antenna trackers with different antennas. (Highly recommended)
THE ULTIMATE 5.8GHz VIDEO LINK (AND SIMPLER OPTIONS) EXPLAINED

Last edited:
Reactions: Odinbear
Great progress beanbubba, cutting edge stuff right there.

I'm currently researching the possibility to design a minature antenna tracker with helical directional antennas to mount under the Mavic Pro. The tracking helical antennas with a 2W phantom amp would boost the range significantly.

I think it should be done with a small 1-axis "gimbal" that consists of a micro servo (360 functionality only, no tilt) and a Arduino/Rasberry Pi Zero with a gps module. Before takeoff you reset the GPS home point and the tracking begins.

For more reading on helical antennas:
Circularly Polarized Helical antenna 7.5 -13 dbi - New: Wave Trap match! - RC Groups!

More reading on antenna trackers with different antennas. (Highly recommended)
THE ULTIMATE 5.8GHz VIDEO LINK (AND SIMPLER OPTIONS) EXPLAINED

You have my attention!

So this is the first design. Please come with suggestions for improvements. I am looking for an Arduino programmer to embark with me on this mission, please holla at me.

Design v01 170727.jpg

Reactions: Odinbear
Should not be hard to add a tilt to that set up. Besides that nice work so far

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan