DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Antenna Mod

Haha..i just said motormouth you#@**. You made up the rest!
Man, you re turning out to be the modding wonderchild. Amazing work.
So what ya gonna do with 4 (4!!!!!?!) connectors??

Sorry, I thought I explained. One pair will be hard wired to the factory antennas from the front legs. The other pair will be hard wired to the RC radio board. Then I can either amp up the factory antennas or use externals depending on my mood :)

Reactions: Odinbear
Sorry, I thought I explained. One pair will be hard wired to the factory antennas from the front legs. The other pair will be hard wired to the RC radio board. Then I can either amp up the factory antennas or use externals depending on my mood :)

FrankenMavic!

Also, would like to see it all pieced together! Also a flight video!

You guys all need to get on Ham radio so we could all talk together. That's another not so cheap hobby of mine.

So I've suggested this a few times with no luck. But many Ham radio guys are on an App called ZELLO in the App Store for both iOS and android.

You set a channel up and everyone can speak freely on the internet.

I used to use a killer app called iPTT, for Jailbreaking chat. But it's now out of business.

So I've suggested this a few times with no luck. But many Ham radio guys are on an App called ZELLO in the App Store for both iOS and android.

You set a channel up and everyone can speak freely on the internet.

I used to use a killer app called iPTT, for Jailbreaking chat. But it's now out of business.
Each to their own but I'm just not a fan of Ham Radio over the internet for some reason. I like the gear too much I guess.

Go big or go home!!
Oh yeah...forgot..USA!! Big for the sake of big. Not complaining though. I always have a weakness for contraptions, abominations and freaks;)

Just watch the skies when you fly this one..might get visit from the Vulcans.

I was able to make a safe assumption that the Mavic aircraft does use dynamic RF transmit. And it appears to be directly related to the proximity of the remote controller to the aircraft (as expected).

I direct connected my spectrum analyzer to the radio board on the Mavic and measured a constant 8.5dB (7mW) with the remote controller sitting right next to the aircraft:

drone-range-test-70.png

I moved the remote controller inside my microwave oven across the room and the power increased to a constant 12.5dB (18mW):

drone-range-test-71.png

I then powered off the remote controller and the aircraft appears to go into a constant full power 20dB (100mW) beacon mode on a narrow channel not broadcasting the video stream anymore (makes sense):

drone-range-test-72.png

I have started testing the same concept on the remote controller, but the remote TX uses frequency hopping that that is a little more difficult but I will see what I can come up with.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes