DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Disconnected error

5000msl

Reactions
Out stretching my flight "legs" this morning with the M2P. As I'm a new pilot I thought I'd try the QuickShots first in a wide open area. No problems.

I was free flying later just to get practice. Wasn't really aware of it but apparently reached the Max Distance setting (whatever the default was; 480m?) - got a prompt, but it's hard for these old eyes to read the small text (I've got a tablet holder now on order.) It was far away, but within LOS. Didn't notice any breakup of return video. I probably kept my thumb on the stick, but when the screen went dark with a red status bar stating Aircraft Disconnected that got my attention.

A pop-up offered some information, but all I could focus on with my heart racing was a prompt for Return to Home which I accepted. The 2P flew back to me, though the screen stayed black, and never reconnected even when it got close - is that normal? I landed OK. Turned the 2P off then back on and it reconnected. I took a couple short flights after this with no issues.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Comments? TIA

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Retrieve the logs (mobile device txt and DAT) if you want to see what happened.

Thanks, that's a good idea, however I'm not sure I know how to get anything meaningful...

I looked at Flight Records in the Go4 app, but about all I can tell from that is that I was 795' from home point at 49' height, traveling at 29mph, and an estimated 7min left on the battery when the track abruptly ends. No record of flight from that point back to home point.

I tried connecting the M2P via USB cable to my desktop and started DJI Assistant 2, latest version, to see if that would provide additional information. When I clicked the aircraft, then Flight Records, the spinner spun, and it said Cannot retrieve flight records. Retry? No amount of retrying helped. I tried starting the controller with phone attached, but same result. Nada.

I'd "saved" the records from the app, but couldn't find where they were on the iPhone. Did a Google... opened apps via iTunes save FlightRecords, FlightLogs, and ExportFlightRecords. The first is a bunch of unreadable data. FlightLogs lists the prompts from the screen during the flight - the last for the flight in questions states the aircraft has reached Maximum Distance. ExportedFlightRecords is a .csv file containing a long list of number, lat, long, number - not particularly helpful in this instance.

Anything I missed? Is this the extent of the records?

I did take the opportunity to sync my flight records. Anyway to view those from my DJI account? I didn't see any way, myself. I guess syncing is so you can use multiple devices or refresh if you delete and reinstall the app.

Thanks, that's a good idea, however I'm not sure I know how to get anything meaningful...

I looked at Flight Records in the Go4 app, but about all I can tell from that is that I was 795' from home point at 49' height, traveling at 29mph, and an estimated 7min left on the battery when the track abruptly ends. No record of flight from that point back to home point.

I tried connecting the M2P via USB cable to my desktop and started DJI Assistant 2, latest version, to see if that would provide additional information. When I clicked the aircraft, then Flight Records, the spinner spun, and it said Cannot retrieve flight records. Retry? No amount of retrying helped. I tried starting the controller with phone attached, but same result. Nada.

I'd "saved" the records from the app, but couldn't find where they were on the iPhone. Did a Google... opened apps via iTunes save FlightRecords, FlightLogs, and ExportFlightRecords. The first is a bunch of unreadable data. FlightLogs lists the prompts from the screen during the flight - the last for the flight in questions states the aircraft has reached Maximum Distance. ExportedFlightRecords is a .csv file containing a long list of number, lat, long, number - not particularly helpful in this instance.

Anything I missed? Is this the extent of the records?

I did take the opportunity to sync my flight records. Anyway to view those from my DJI account? I didn't see any way, myself. I guess syncing is so you can use multiple devices or refresh if you delete and reinstall the app.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

If DJI Assistant 2 showed "Flight Records" then you are not using the latest version, which you need for the M2. That will say "Log Export" instead. Not that it will help, because the aircraft DAT files are encrypted.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

If DJI Assistant 2 showed "Flight Records" then you are not using the latest version, which you need for the M2. That will say "Log Export" instead. Not that it will help, because the aircraft DAT files are encrypted.

Thanks for the log view link! I tried it out. It mostly provides the same info as in the Go4 app, but nicely formatted and with the addition of battery voltages (which might be useful if one's battery is developing problems.) Didn't see anything suspicious.

I'm using v2.0.0 which is the version listed on the DJI Mavic 2 downloads page. If there is a newer version, where do I find it?

Thanks for the log view link! I tried it out. It mostly provides the same info as in the Go4 app, but nicely formatted and with the addition of battery voltages (which might be useful if one's battery is developing problems.) Didn't see anything suspicious.

I'm using v2.0.0 which is the version listed on the DJI Mavic 2 downloads page. If there is a newer version, where do I find it?

That's strange. "Flight Records" was in previous versions, but now I see this:

export.png

Sounds like a standard DJI Go or USB cable issue.

Did the RC itself disconnect or just the app?

Sounds like a standard DJI Go or USB cable issue.

Did the RC itself disconnect or just the app?

Not sure. The camera view went black, but the app was still running and displayed a red status bar at the top that said AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED. It prompted me if I wanted to return to home and I chose YES which implies some communication. As I'm a new pilot and was flustered, I didn't pay attention to the display on the controller unfortunately. If this happens again I'll try to take a deep breath and check the RC display.

Thanks for your reply.

Anyway - what you need is the DAT file from the mobile device, (see link above) not the aircraft.

I was able to download the DAT files using iTunes, but don't know how to read them as they appear to be pure data files. Is there an app or site that will interpret them? Thanks.

If you have some sort of control like that and just no picture or app it hints the app or usually its the USB cable at fault.

I was able to download the DAT files using iTunes, but don't know how to read them as they appear to be pure data files. Is there an app or site that will interpret them? Thanks.

If you followed the instructions in post #6 to get the file then the instructions on how to convert and view the contents was also there:

DatCon Introduction

At the distance quoted i'd say more likely a shoddy USB cable. Its not as if the DJI ones are any good!

Reactions: Cslucas34
I get the same 'Failed to get log list' on Assistant 2.0.0 and 2.0.2 as well. Using DJi's own cable on my desktop PC. I haven't tried my laptop.
Is anyone successful with it running on a PC and connecting to an M2?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916