DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft orientation indication not accurate Air2 / DJI Fly app

icesailr

Reactions
Looking at the Aircraft Orientation display, it shows my AC as being approx 20 degrees to the right of where it actually is in front of me. I recalibated the controller and the Air Craft with the Assistant 2 App. I then tried flying and now it was about 90 degree's off. I stopped and even though both the compass and IMU said Normal, I recalibrated both. Now I'm back to the same approx. 20 degree's. Any idea's? Does it affect the drone's flight and return to home ability?

Looking at the Aircraft Orientation display, it shows my AC as being approx 20 degrees to the right of where it actually is in front of me. I recalibated the controller and the Air Craft with the Assistant 2 App. I then tried flying and now it was about 90 degree's off. I stopped and even though both the compass and IMU said Normal, I recalibrated both. Now I'm back to the same approx. 20 degree's. Any idea's? Does it affect the drone's flight and return to home ability?

It's not the aircraft orientation that is wrong (you can check that on the map), it's going to be either the controller orientation as determined by the mobile device compass (a well known problem) or the relative location of the controller and aircraft as determined by GPS. Neither indicates any problem with the aircraft, and neither will negatively affect flight.

At the start of the flying session just before take-off, move the hand-controller in a figure of eight shape in front of you several times to calibrate the mobile device compass and this should dramatically improve matters.

At the start of the flying session just before take-off, move the hand-controller in a figure of eight shape in front of you several times to calibrate the mobile device compass and this should dramatically improve matters.

The transmitter (RC)?

I had not thought about the iphone compass being part of this. Interesting. I'll try this tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: Rchawks
Thank you. It worked. BUT it is so random. When I first turned on the controller and AC, it was showing behind
me again, but then corrected itself after several figure eights.

How strange, I have to say that it works out well for me doing this and as the drone gets about 30 feet from me, it shows the direction VERY accurately.

Another strange anomaly that you may come up against is that the direction display turns red and the direction data disappears mid-flight! The solution to this is to tilt the H/C to the right and then the left rapidly (almost like a 'shake') and this will reset it to normal operation - I kid you not, it resolves the issue 100% of the time!!

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones