DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airliner's near miss with drone injures two crew members

Dukatu

Reactions
Toronto-bound Porter flight nearly hits flying object, possibly a drone
"As they approached the object, they realized it was very close to their flight path and decided to take appropriate evasive action," reads Porter's statement. "There was no contact between the aircraft and object."

"After debriefing, there is potential that the object was a drone," the statement says.

Porter says two flight attendants sustained minor injuries. They were taken to hospital and released. There were no reported injuries to the 54 passengers on board.

The airline says it's working with the Transportation Safety Board's investigation.

This happened in Toronto Canada.

Two crew members were injured Monday after a Porter flight from Ottawa had to evade a suspected drone as it landed at Toronto’s Billy Bishop Airport.
Porter said near-miss with possible drone occurred over Lake Ontario near Pickering. Porter cooperating with TSB investigation #ottnews— Andrew Seymour (@andrew_seymour) November 14, 2016
Transportation Safety Board of Canada spokeswoman Julie Leroux said Porter flight 204 was about 30 nautical miles from the airport when it encountered what is believed to be an unmanned aerial vehicle at about 9,000 feet on its approach to landing at 7:30 a.m.
“The flight crew performed an evasive manoeuvre and two cabin crew received injuries as a result,” said Leroux.
Porter said there was NO contact between aircraft and object. Two cabin crew taken to hospital with minor injuries. 54 on board. #ottnews— Andrew Seymour (@andrew_seymour) November 14, 2016
The TSB is sending a team of investigators to look into what they described as a “risk of collision.”
The plane is still in Toronto, Leroux said. TSB investigators are expected to interview the crew Monday.

WHAT DUMMY WOULD BE FLYING AT 9,000 FEET.

The media's attempt to discredit drones.
The story also said the plane was at 9000 feet and half way across lake Ontario.
No way for a drone to be there at that height.
It could have been a weather balloon or perhaps even another plane. They say it happened very quickly and the pilots only speculated that it was a drone.
Unbelievable!

Reactions: paalkr77
Apparently it was a balloon not a drone.

We had a similar issue in England a few months back. Reported all over the media as a drone. Later investigated and found to be a plastic bag :p

The problem is everyone reads the drone headline and no one reads the retraction days later. The damage is already done.

"Drone hit plane" is a winner of a story, "Plastic bag hits plane" is not so newsworthy :D

I'm glad to see everyone is beginning to recognize the unbelievable bias against drones in the media. It wasn't that long ago, proposing such a theory would have garnered some "go put your tin foil hat back on" comments. I think people are starting to realize there are competing interests with telling the truth.

I listened to the radio chatter and there were several reports of a group of balloons in the area... where or how a group of balloons at 5000' turned into to a drone is beyond me.

EDIT: I apologize as I was mistaken on the source of this audio. It was not from the flight near Toronto. It was another flight that had a similar experience. It was within the article I read about the Toronto incident. Here is the link to the incident the audio came from - Lufthansa reports near miss with drone over Los Angeles

They are talking about balloons in the cockpit.
Listen to the audio here, it will download the file - http://www.liveatc.net/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13092.0;attach=8763 …

Last edited:
Reactions: maveric
I'm glad to see everyone is beginning to recognize the unbelievable bias against drones in the media. It wasn't that long ago, proposing such a theory would have garnered some "go put your tin foil hat back on" comments. I think people are starting to realize there are competing interests with telling the truth.

The media hasn't presented "unbiased, factual" accounts since I was a kid. It's all about sensationalism and spinning to present the reporter's/media outlook's opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo