DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airmap no longer on FAA Approved LAANC UAS Service Suppliers list

Jagerbomb52

Reactions

Screen-Shot-2021-09-14-at-18.23.31.jpg

View attachment 134917
Thanks for the heads up! Guess it is good to have two or three sources on hand to obtain authorization.

With all due respect, I'm baffled how anyone who is passionate about UAS operations in the USA is still using AirMap (aka AirCrap). They have actively and openly solicited to monetize the NAS literally against UAS operators. Why in the world would you use/support an entity that is out to cost you more $$ to line their pockets?

When I read they were omitted from the list I literally had to LOL :)

Bye Felicia :)

I got this email from airmap yesterday
It's not the FAA that is working on the issue. AirMap has been removed from the LAANC supplier list. I don't know if it's permanent of not. If they want reinstatement, they need to do something. No one will tell me why they were removed. But no one in this industry should shed a tear if they don't come back.

When I reached out to one of my D.C. FAA contacts via their personal cell phone, I got this response: "if you were to ask officially you would be redirected to the website, and receive confirmation that they are not FAA Approved to offer authorizations right now."

It's not the FAA that is working on the issue. AirMap has been removed from the LAANC supplier list. I don't know if it's permanent of not. If they want reinstatement, they need to do something. No one will tell me why they were removed. But no one in this industry should shed a tear if they don't come back.

When I reached out to one of my D.C. FAA contacts via their personal cell phone, I got this response: "if you were to ask officially you would be redirected to the website, and receive confirmation that they are not FAA Approved to offer authorizations right now."
Thank you sir for your knowledgeable response

Reactions: Droniac
thanks for sharing

With all due respect, I'm baffled how anyone who is passionate about UAS operations in the USA is still using AirMap (aka AirCrap). They have actively and openly solicited to monetize the NAS literally against UAS operators. Why in the world would you use/support an entity that is out to cost you more $$ to line their pockets?

@BigAl07 What would be preferred? I've only used AirMap, free and easy to use.

@BigAl07 What would be preferred? I've only used AirMap, free and easy to use.
Airmap has (had) a great product. They their owners DO NOT like the UAS industry. They saw it as a cash cow. And it didn't pay off. This community is too small to pull underhanded dirty tricks like lobbying congress to have the 1st 200' of the NAS handed over to states and locales.

If that happened, they would be able to charge access fees. And guess who had a system developed to track drones and collect those fees for the municipalities? Taking a cut for themselves of course.

That was Airmap's plan from the get-go. There will be no tears shed by the industry if they're truly gone. I do hope someone buys their platform though.

Thanks for the information, @BigAl07 @sar104 @Vic Moss

I like the grid displayed in AirMap, which I don't see in Aloft. Maybe I just need to dig into the app to find it.

Thanks for the information, @BigAl07 @sar104 @Vic Moss

I like the grid displayed in AirMap, which I don't see in Aloft. Maybe I just need to dig into the app to find it.
It doesn't use a grid - you get to draw an arbitrary area and then request a maximum altitude.

Reactions: Hawkwind
It doesn't use a grid - you get to draw an arbitrary area and then request a maximum altitude.
I was able to reset the map view so that Aloft does show the airspace bounds with altitude maximum rectangles so I can see the max alt where I intend to fly.

Exactly. I used to use them but have switched to Kittyhawk/Aloft for a while now. They’re all free services so let’s support the ones not actively trying to screw us over.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato