DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airmap rejected before submitted

cavenger

Reactions
I am trying to fly in controlled airspace to video a statue that is probably 150 feet high. The airspace has a 50 foot limit. Airmap will not let me even submit before it rejects it. Is this the correct behavior? Is there a different way I can get laanc approval?

I am trying to fly in controlled airspace to video a statue that is probably 150 feet high. The airspace has a 50 foot limit. Airmap will not let me even submit before it rejects it. Is this the correct behavior? Is there a different way I can get laanc approval?

I think you answered your own question, but lets break it down. Your asking for approval to fly 150 feet in controlled airspace that has a ceiling of 50? If the ceiling is only 50 most likely you are flying very close to an airport or in a fly path of a runway. LAANC can grant you clearance to fly in controlled airspace, but it CAN NOT ALLOW YOU TO EXCEED AIRSPACE STATUES, That is why it did not submit your request. You would need direct FAA authorinzation to exceed FAA statues, LAANC is not for such request.

In addition to what @Recoveryone posted, there could be certain instances where the airspace in question is not "AVAILABLE" at all for sUAS operations. Because of things like maintenance, faulty equipment, VIP activity etc traffic patterns and such can change. The Grid Altitude is the max height you MIGHT get via the LAANC automated system but it's still not guaranteed. It's still a request and CAN be denied without warning.

I'm assuming you are flying under Recreational rules? If you are 107, you can ask for a waiver through FAA Drone Zone. Other than that, the info posted above is spot on. LAANC authorization is only possible up to a max height posted in the grid.