DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport calls

FearlessRobb

Reactions
Now you have to tell air ports in a 5 mile radius thats ur flying. Do you have to call each time or just inform them thats you are flying betweens these hrs each day
Cause at this park i seriiusly dont wanna make 7 phone calls daily lmao1508800753560.png

I live within 4 miles of a regional airport and I fly almost daily. When I first got my MP, I sent an email over to the contracted operator over at the airport and advised them that I would be flying, which is all that is required under the rules when you are flying for fun. I told them I would be flying under 400 agl, that I would stay within VLOS and gave them a map with the designated area where I would be. At first, they gave me some pushback, but then I sent them everything from the FAA regarding how airports should handle recreational sUAS flying. After that it started a really good conversation as they did not know all of the rules themselves, and they learned alot through their research of what I had sent them. It actually started a good relationship as well and now we have a really good system worked out. When I want to fly and I am going to stay under tree level, I don't need to notify them at all. Probably 85% of what I do at home falls under this as I am usuallly just doing test flights for updates, or doing some low level practice. When I am planning on flying above tree level then all I have to do is send them an email, give them a time or range of time/days and then usually I get a friendly email back saying have fun! They also email me when there are change at the airport as well or if there is a TFR going into place or a couple of times a year the airspace around the airport goes to Class D when the military brings in a temporary tower for some training. I usually just don't fly that week or make sure I do keep it under the trees.

Maybe if you contact all of them ahead of time and start some repore you can get something simmilar in place that wouldn't take long to do when you want to fly.

"Now"? As in, since 2012? Yes.

The law requires that you inform each airport owner and tower, if they have one each time that you fly. If you've made arrangements with these people to some other effect, you should be fine. Again, that is what the law requires.

Reactions: BigAl07
What was tge FAA guidline you swnt them lol. And that was a field. At my house there 1 airport and its private

"Now"? As in, since 2012? Yes.

The law requires that you inform each airport owner and tower, if they have one each time that you fly. If you've made arrangements with these people to some other effect, you should be fine. Again, that is what the law requires.

I was saying. Now like a statment not as in if anything changed. I was typing like i was talking casual

I live within 4 miles of a regional airport and I fly almost daily. When I first got my MP, I sent an email over to the contracted operator over at the airport and advised them that I would be flying, which is all that is required under the rules when you are flying for fun. I told them I would be flying under 400 agl, that I would stay within VLOS and gave them a map with the designated area where I would be. At first, they gave me some pushback, but then I sent them everything from the FAA regarding how airports should handle recreational sUAS flying. After that it started a really good conversation as they did not know all of the rules themselves, and they learned alot through their research of what I had sent them. It actually started a good relationship as well and now we have a really good system worked out. When I want to fly and I am going to stay under tree level, I don't need to notify them at all. Probably 85% of what I do at home falls under this as I am usuallly just doing test flights for updates, or doing some low level practice. When I am planning on flying above tree level then all I have to do is send them an email, give them a time or range of time/days and then usually I get a friendly email back saying have fun! They also email me when there are change at the airport as well or if there is a TFR going into place or a couple of times a year the airspace around the airport goes to Class D when the military brings in a temporary tower for some training. I usually just don't fly that week or make sure I do keep it under the trees.

Maybe if you contact all of them ahead of time and start some repore you can get something simmilar in place that wouldn't take long to do when you want to fly.
The airport near my house is private no tower and sadley no email. Only phone and im not a fan of talking on phone o well guess i sont have a choise lol

Out of curiosity, What is the airspace (C, D, E) you are in if you are within a regional airport?

Out of curiosity, What is the airspace (C, D, E) you are in if you are within a regional airport?

It is a non towered regional jetport so we are Class E down to 700 agl. The two military bases are Class C but I am just under the outside shelf so it only extends down to 1400 agl then from there down it is Class E to 700 and right over the house where I fly it is G. The only exception is when the military comes in to do training at the regional airport and they setup a temporary tower, then it is Class D to SFC.

It is a non towered regional jetport so we are Class E down to 700 agl. The two military bases are Class C but I am just under the outside shelf so it only extends down to 1400 agl then from there down it is Class E to 700 and right over the house where I fly it is G. The only exception is when the military comes in to do training at the regional airport and they setup a temporary tower, then it is Class D to SFC.

Ahh, was curious. Can you verify something for me? See the attached vector chart image. I live barely within the 5 mile BTV class C airport. I "was" going to do a flight somewhat southwest over a pond in what I originally thought was Class E (floor 2200), but realized it was within the magenta dotted line which is Class E from the surface.
Therefore there is another spot I like to the west also class E (floor 1500) and just outside the magenta dotted line.
My question is the Blue circle. Is this simply used for compass readings or is this class D? From what I've seen most class D have showed a dotted blue line and included AGL.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2158.PNG
    IMG_2158.PNG
    9.8 MB · Views: 63
So heres another question do you have to call airports even if your just cruising around your yard 10ft of so well below tree line?

Reactions: 2nckayakers
Yes the blue circle that you are seeing is just used for compass readings. The two things you have to be aware of is that the airport is a Class C so you must contact ATC before the flight even though most everything below 400 agl near that airport is Class G. The three exceptions to that is the inner magenta ring is Class C to SFC, those two extensions where you see the magenta dotted lines they are Class E to SFC, and you have that one Restricted Area just east of the airport.

Now this doesn't mean you can't fly anywhere within these areas if you are flying for fun, you just have to notify the airport and coordinate with them. ATC does have positive control though within all that Class C and E to SFC and you do need permission from them, not just notification in those areas, but I have flown in Class C and in a restricted area before by just asking for permission so it isn't impossible to do, you just need to do a little leg work and let them know all the details about what you are doing.

My experience has been that if you ask permission, you show you have some safety plans in place and that you understand the airspace around you and you are doing you best to have good situational awareness, then you have a good chance of doing what you want to do in those types of spaces.

I just got permission to fly this past weekend over a lake that is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, (who has some strict no fly rules), it is managed by our State Wildlife Resources Commission (who has some strict no fly rules), and launched and recovered from a State Park ( that has a no drone policy), and had to coordinate with ATC at a Class C airport. It took a little leg work, several emails, follow up phone calls and a notification call, but I had no trouble at all getting permission from all 4 different entities. Most people flying for fun don't want to go through all that hassle, but some of these places that are "off limits" actually are not off limits if you just follow the rules, do your homework, ask the right person, and have a plan for what you are going to do. You would be surprised the places you can fly if you show you are responsible.

Now this doesn't mean you can't fly anywhere within these areas if you are flying for fun, you just have to notify the airport and coordinate with them. ATC does have positive control though within all that Class C and E to SFC and you do need permission from them, not just notification in those areas, but I have flown in Class C and in a restricted area before by just asking for permission so it isn't impossible to do, you just need to do a little leg work and let them know all the details about what you are doing.
If you are flying for hobby you don't need permission if the only limitation is that you are within 5 miles of an airport. You only need to inform the owner and/or tower. Safety issues still apply but you cannot be denied flight by the airport.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes the blue circle that you are seeing is just used for compass readings. The two things you have to be aware of is that the airport is a Class C so you must contact ATC before the flight even though most everything below 400 agl near that airport is Class G. The three exceptions to that is the inner magenta ring is Class C to SFC, those two extensions where you see the magenta dotted lines they are Class E to SFC, and you have that one Restricted Area just east of the airport.

My experience has been that if you ask permission, you show you have some safety plans in place and that you understand the airspace around you and you are doing you best to have good situational awareness, then you have a good chance of doing what you want to do in those types of spaces.

I just got permission to fly this past weekend over a lake that is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers, (who has some strict no fly rules), it is managed by our State Wildlife Resources Commission (who has some strict no fly rules), and launched and recovered from a State Park ( that has a no drone policy), and had to coordinate with ATC at a Class C airport. It took a little leg work, several emails, follow up phone calls and a notification call, but I had no trouble at all getting permission from all 4 different entities. Most people flying for fun don't want to go through all that hassle, but some of these places that are "off limits" actually are not off limits if you just follow the rules, do your homework, ask the right person, and have a plan for what you are going to do. You would be surprised the places you can fly if you show you are responsible.

Thanks. But to verify/clarify. If I'm outside the first magenta class C circle, within the second one, but outside the magenta dotted line this is class e from 1500-4400 (the west quadrant). I'm not still required to contact ATC am I?
Good info/advice on your second half comments. Thanks

So heres another question do you have to call airports even if your just cruising around your yard 10ft of so well below tree line?

Yes legally you do, but most people don't. If you don't then it is on you, and realistically if you never have an incident, or don't piss someone off then you won't ever have a problem or get in trouble. That's not me telling you what to do here it is just what I have heard people doing.

Thanks. But to verify/clarify. If I'm outside the first magenta class C circle, within the second one, but outside the magenta dotted line this is class e from 1500-4400 (the west quadrant). I'm not still required to contact ATC am I?
Good info/advice on your second half comments. Thanks

If you are within 5 miles of that Class C then yes you must notify ATC even if you are below the shelf of that outer ring.

Yes legally you do, but most people don't. If you don't then it is on you, and realistically if you never have an incident, or don't piss someone off then you won't ever have a problem or get in trouble. That's not me telling you what to do here it is just what I have heard people doing.

If you are within 5 miles of that Class C then yes you must notify ATC even if you are below the shelf of that outer ring.
From what I can see the inner ring is 5 miles and as mentioned I would be outside of the inner ring.

If you are flying for hobby you don't need permission if the only limitation is that you are within 5 miles of an airport. You only need to inform the owner and/or tower. Safety issues still apply but you cannot be denied flight by the airport.

You are correct in that they can't deny your flight, but they can strongly object and if they think what you are doing is a danger to their airspace, then they can cause you some serious problems if you do fly after they have objected. So take objections whichever way you want, but think about whether it is worth it or not before you follow through. If your situation is anything like mine and you regularly plan on flying within 5 miles of an airport, you want to have a good relationship with them and not get off to the wrong foot to begin with.

Ok thanks. I plan on doing everything legally regardless because im not gonna be the guy to mess it up for others if something happens.
Another question
What if the air port says NO you can't fly just cause they guy could care less. Or is it more of a common courtesy just informing them your flying and they cant tell you no?

From what I can see the inner ring is 5 miles and as mentioned I would be outside of the inner ring.
If you are outside the 5 miles then you don't have to do anything as long as their airspace doesn't extend to the surface. Those Class E to surface though you have to notify them.

Reactions: vtcats
Ok thanks. I plan on doing everything legally regardless because im not gonna be the guy to mess it up for others if something happens.
Another question
What if the air port says NO you can't fly just cause they guy could care less. Or is it more of a common courtesy just informing them your flying and they cant tell you no?

Like Tscope pointed out, they can't tell you no when you are flying as a hobby for fun, but they can object. Objections can be taken anyway you want, just be aware that they can come with consequences.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cubesinfotech