DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport Flying restrictions!

Reginald E Johnson

Reactions
I was trying to fly my Mavic Mini about 3 Miles from the Birmingham, Alabama Airport Saturday and I got a restriction message from DJI that I was in a restricted Zone and my Mini was landing in 90 Seconds! And it landed in 90 Seconds! I always thought that the Mini was exempt but I was apparently proven wrong especially when I was 3 -4 Miles from the Airport! PS; I was able to get the Shots and Video that I wanted to anyway!

DJI's restrictions are... interesting. They vary from aircraft to aircraft. Here are the areas I can't fly my Phantom 3 Advanced (note that if it is blue, I can't even take off, the orange zones are "advanced warning zones". Note that all of the controlled areas are round:
1623601464734.png

Now, here is the same map for a Mavic Pro:
1623601553629.png

Now the blue zones are inline with the airports runways. But that is OK. It actually opens up a larger area this way, Note that the "Enhanced Warning Zones" are SMALLER this way. I usually apply for an authorization online at: Self Unlocking - Fly Safe - DJI. After you get this approved via the website, you have to import the auth into your drone from your internet-connected phone/tablet. The auth is good for three days. Then I can take off/fly in some of the blue zones at a restricted height, using my ALOFT app (formerly known as KittyHawk):
2021-06-13 09.29.08.png
It is where you get your LAANC authorization if your nearby airport supports that. Only one out of the four airports near me support LAANC. Here is a sample authorization:

LAANC KTJBN13Y6ZZ0
Request Approved
Authorized by FAA
KTJBN13Y6ZZ0 / SAC 06/11/21 8:47 pm UTC 06/12/21 12:47 am UTC 400ft. In accordance with Title 14 CFR Part 107.41, your operation is authorized within the designated airspace and timeframe constraints. Altitude limits are absolute values above ground level which shall not be added to the height of any structures. This Authorization is subject to cancellation at any time upon notice by the FAA Administrator or his/her authorized representative. This Authorization does not constitute a waiver of any State law or local ordinance. John Doe is the person designated as responsible for the overall safety of UAS operations under this Authorization. During UAS operations for on-site communication/recall, John Doe shall be continuously available for direct contact at (916) xxx-yyyy by Air Traffic. Remote pilots are responsible to check the airspace they are operating in and comply with all restrictions that may be present in accordance with 14 CFR 107.45 and 107.49 (a)(2), such as restricted and Prohibited Airspace, Temporary Flight Restrictions, etc. Operations are not authorized in Class E airspace when there is a weather ceiling less than 1,000 feet AGL. If the UAS loses communications or loses its GPS signal, it must return to a predetermined location within the operating area and land. The pilot in command must abort the flight in the event of unpredicted obstacles or emergencies.

The latter gives you legal authorization to fly your drone, the DJI AUTH part enables your drone to fly in the blue areas. Without it, the drone won't even take off.

Reactions: PixelMagic
I was trying to fly my Mavic Mini about 3 Miles from the Birmingham, Alabama Airport Saturday and I got a restriction message from DJI that I was in a restricted Zone and my Mini was landing in 90 Seconds! And it landed in 90 Seconds! I always thought that the Mini was exempt but I was apparently proven wrong especially when I was 3 -4 Miles from the Airport! PS; I was able to get the Shots and Video that I wanted to anyway!
A Mini has all the same restrictions as any drone of that generation. It is exempt from need to register it with FAA, but otherwise must follow the same rules as any drone (recreational or 107).

Have a look at the federal restrictions for flights around the Birmingham airport. One convenient way to scope it out is the LAANC maps that show the maximum allowed flight altitude AFTER getting prior approval. It sounds like you were within the airport control area and flying in an area with a zero maximum ceiling.

Here's a map for the entire country. You'll need to zoom in on Birmingham to see the grid of ceiling restrictions.

FAA makes the rules. The DJI systems just try to apply them. They seem to do a good job most of the time, but the ultimate authority is the FAA.

the Old Rules were 5-miles from an airport but today's rules are all about AirSpace and not any arbitrary distance.

As @MS Coast pointed out you need to check the LAANC first (it's going to be the one with Regulatory consequences) and then look at the DJI GeoFence map. One does NOT connect to or approve in the other. It's highly possible you'll need to get TWO approvals for a single flying area.

All UAS have to follow FAA Flight Rules but UAS under 250gr (all up flying weight) that are flying for RECREATIONAL USE are exempt from the $5 registration fee but all other FAA Rules are pertinent to it including AIRSPACE rules. The devil is in the details!!

Score one for the good guys (DJI)! Please familiarize yourself with the rules.

Score one for the good guys (DJI)! Please familiarize yourself with the rules.
I liked DJI's restrictive app protocols at first, because it made me realize there were a lot more rules that i didn't know that needed to learn and follow. But now that I have 2 years of voluntary education and DJI's "forced" education, I have been selling my DJI fleet and purchasing EVO2 series drones. Many of the budget drones have no forced restrictions either. Now, I at least have drones that can't be controlled by some software made half way across the globe. I just don't want to lose a drone, in case the software mistakenly lets you fly into a no fly zone, then suddenly activates and force lands me into a swamp or inaccessible area. I hate it when i fly across a LAANC approved blue zone while there is even the slightest possibility that the app can accidentally or purposely activate the restriction and cause a forced crash landing.

The Fly app would not let me fly in an airport advisory zone although the federal government map clearly showed that I could fly in that zone. I contacted DJI and they quickly deleted that restriction for my controller. Now I can fly according to the drone federal regulations in that zone.

Reactions: MS Coast
Greetings! Birmingham AL neighbor.

I know I have a lot to learn but I thought there was no flying within 5 miles of an airport.
Depends on the drone. In Canada the rules for flying a sub 250g drone and airports read as follows:

• stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time

Why would you think a few grams would make you exempt from common sense. come on...read up. sorry to be so blunt.
No problem about you being Blunt but when you’re 3 Miles from an Airport and can’t even go 10 Feet in the Air, one would think that you’re Paranoid! The last time I flew there, my FAA Ceiling was 160 Feet and I had to get a waiver just to do that! There you go!

I liked DJI's restrictive app protocols at first, because it made me realize there were a lot more rules that i didn't know that needed to learn and follow. But now that I have 2 years of voluntary education and DJI's "forced" education, I have been selling my DJI fleet and purchasing EVO2 series drones. Many of the budget drones have no forced restrictions either. Now, I at least have drones that can't be controlled by some software made half way across the globe. I just don't want to lose a drone, in case the software mistakenly lets you fly into a no fly zone, then suddenly activates and force lands me into a swamp or inaccessible area. I hate it when i fly across a LAANC approved blue zone while there is even the slightest possibility that the app can accidentally or purposely activate the restriction and cause a forced crash landing.
Now it makes me think that I should taken my Skydio 2 instead of my Mavic Mini! I knew about the Airport having flew there before! The restrictions are much tighter now but I was able to photograph the Family gathering on the Porch before my Drone landed which all I wanted to do anyway! Good Luck with your Flying!

Depends on the drone. In Canada the rules for flying a sub 250g drone and airports read as follows:

• stay far away from aerodromes, airport, heliport and waterdrome
  • stay clear of aircrafts, at all time
Well, that's very specific. LOL. Just what is "far away" in terms of distance? :)

You'd have to look at the particular FAA sectional chart but in general the restrictions are 5 miles from a major airport for any drone. The goal is to keep drones away from busy air traffic. You can get cleared to fly if you call the tower for permission and then go to the DJI unlocking website and have your drone unlocked for a day or two.

Now it makes me think that I should taken my Skydio 2 instead of my Mavic Mini! I knew about the Airport having flew there before! The restrictions are much tighter now but I was able to photograph the Family gathering on the Porch before my Drone landed which all I wanted to do anyway! Good Luck with your Flying!
Does it just land where ever it is or does it go home.

You'd have to look at the particular FAA sectional chart but in general the restrictions are 5 miles from a major airport for any drone. The goal is to keep drones away from busy air traffic. You can get cleared to fly if you call the tower for permission and then go to the DJI unlocking website and have your drone unlocked for a day or two.

Don't trust the DJI geo-fencing to keep you out of controlled or restricted airspace. It's sometimes wrong. That five-mile radius is from an outdated regulation. Get the FAA's B4YOUFLY app and get the current and official word on the particular location you'd like to fly. It's free and very easy to use..

Don't call an airport control tower for permission to fly in their airspace. They won't even talk to you about it. The LAANC system was put in place to automate requests for drone flights around airports. It's available around the country and Birmingham is included.

Read more about LAANC here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange/

SUAS Facility Maps are here. Zoom in to find the Birmingham area. The numbers is the blocks are the maximum altitude you're allowed to fly after you get approval from LAANC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos