DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aliens shooting at our drones or something else

Those encounters are similar to two that I've had in the last couple years, shown below. Whatever these objects are, they're moving very fast. When flying both of these missions the wind was less than 5mph at altitude. The first one I was floating with the wind in ATTI. The second one there was a slight onshore wind in Hawaii, perpendicular to the direction of the object travel.
What's my estimate of the speed?
Not much .. just a few metres/sec.
It's just a small object very close to the lens.

What's my estimate of the speed?
Not much .. just a few metres/sec.
It's just a small object very close to the lens.

Right. I do not understand why everyone reporting these events makes the same mistake - assuming that whatever location in the background behind the object when it first appears is where it came from.

Was that even the OP's actual experience (his own video) or a shared YouTube video from 3 years ago? :rolleyes:

Aliens.... come on... **everyone knows we are the only life to exist in the universe!!!**

**sarcasm**

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Ok I saw this today same thing and it was the feathers from a flock of birds. Even got caught in my rotors and there was marks from the white feathers on my props when I landed.

I think it’s possible that they get sucked into the vortex created by the prop. That’s why it appears they are moving so fast (cause they are.) I think in calm air the props could attract them from a pretty good distance away.

Those encounters are similar to two that I've had in the last couple years, shown below. Whatever these objects are, they're moving very fast. When flying both of these missions the wind was less than 5mph at altitude. The first one I was floating with the wind in ATTI. The second one there was a slight onshore wind in Hawaii, perpendicular to the direction of the object travel.

Lol, I literally just flew my mavic around and saw these same exact things...They're insects dude! ?

Hey Guys,

This reminds me a little of the "Rods" phenomena from years back. I see these appear in my baby monitor in my kids room (while looking at the monitor) sometimes. I've also seen them, oddly appear in a series by Carl Sagan called "Cosmos" - as in the series wasn't about rods but was about earth's origin and space etc but I just happened to see one fly across the screen during one episode.The look really strange but I think they maybe are just flies/inspects that are flying and moving to fast for us to see with the normal eye. Won't jump on the Alien bandwagon but who knows.

Thanks Ronan

Reactions: tribar
This sequence is from a movie and the event lasted less than a second. It came out of the horizon and zoomed past me lower left. I was at 250 feet and stationary. It could be one of the many red tailed hawks that lives in my region.

Or .. it could be one of those classified , high performance blonde wigs the Air Force says don't exist. Rumored to be part of the on going Dolly Parton project.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 5.40.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 5.40.38 PM.jpg
    760.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Haha
Reactions: Redleg
This sequence is from a movie and the event lasted less than a second. It came out of the horizon and zoomed past me lower left. I was at 250 feet and stationary. It could be one of the many red tailed hawks that lives in my region.
The Red-tailed hawk can be quickly discounted.
Even when close to the camera and out of focus, they tend to look bird-shaped and brownish.
They fly at a pedestrian between 20-40 mph rather than rocket speeds.
The flap their wings but your mystery object maintains its shape between the 2nd and 3rd frames.

The assumed high speed doesn't stand up to investigation.
If your object was really coming out of the horizon, to be visible with the drone's camera, it would have to be quite large.
Look at the apparent sizes of distant houses that really are halfway to the horizon.
A house passing close to the camera, is going to take up the whole frame before it passes the camera, and a house-sized object flying at missile-speed would attract a lot of attention.

The mystery object can't have come out of the horizon - it must have been much closer.
And being closer, it must be smaller, much smaller.

It's a very small bit of fluff, too small for the camera to resolve at all until it's quite close to the lens.
Imagine something small and light coloured and lightweight, about 1/4 inch across, drifting on a gentle 6 mph breeze.
It's not visible at all until it's maybe three or four feet away, and it's gone past the lens in less than a second.
The illusion that it came from near the horizon is just the coincidence of its location in the frame being up near the level that the horizon is vertically in the frame.

Reactions: Chip and Redleg
An ancient video, really? (Rolls eyes) I want whatever he is drinking.

From WikipediA:
In cryptozoology and ufology, "rods" (aka "skyfish", "air rods", or "solar entities") are elongated visual artifacts appearing in photographic images and video recordings that are claimed by some proponents to be alien life forms, "extradimensional" creatures, or very small UFOs. However, these artifacts appear naturally in video and outdoor photography as the result of an optical illusion due to motion blur, especially in interlaced video recording, and are typically afterimage traces of flying insects and their wingbeats.

"
"
"
"
"
"UFO Flyby at Tehachapi Loop, CA

Oh, it happened to me several times to have those kinds of ufos in my clips. Look yourself starting at about 4:25 min. where they came in different angels and different speeds, sometimes even to disappear suddenly:
In former times we called it rain drops because it had been a cloudy day but I assure You I have seen those ufos on cold days, too, what we called snow then...
I really was afraid they would hit my mavic. After I landed the bird there was a tiny film over it which I could not analyse at this time and which disappeared after a short time back in the car. I was very lucky the aliens didn't destroy the Mavic with their little projectiles...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Redleg
I'm going with insects. I see them all the time in videos from where I fly. Big dragon flies are the best. They do look eerie but it's not aliens I assure you... :)

Sar104,

I really respect your knowledge and methodical approach, but as an active photographer and filmmaker since the 60s, it sure looks like lens flare to me. Shooting close to directly into a bright light, such as the sun here, will nearly always create a flare whose shape is determined by the specific lens being used, it’s f-stop, and the type of anti flare coating being used, and any dirt or grease on the lens. The entire reason for applying expensive anti glare coatings to lenses is to get rid of these artifacts. The lens on my P4 adv is really well made, but it still flares sometimes.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
My thought is the person isn't too intelligent if they don't know the difference between approaching storm clouds and whatever is are 'uproaching' storm clouds.
I’m sorry where you speaking of me?

I’m sorry where you speaking of me?
It’s obvious he speaks of whoever made that video and you
did ask for
Just wanted to see your thoughts
and that was his. I wouldn’t take it personally.
These threads have been posted on these things since we have had drones and I even made one 3 years ago poking fun.
Bug in this case is what I figure trying to get out of the smoke from that controlled burn. :)

Bug in this case is what I figure trying to get out of the smoke from that controlled burn. :)

They’ve (edit: the farmers) got almost everything in except for some of the cotton here and we haven’t had any rain in about six weeks. The dust from all the combines has everything covered. The smoke from all the burning fields here in Eastern Arkansas (I’m in the Memphis metro area) looks like something out of “Apocalypse Now.”

I haven’t flown in weeks. I feel like I’m missing out on some prime UFO video opportunities.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman