DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alientech Duo II

Let us know how it goes and the steps you take to set it up. Be very interesting to see the output...

Reactions: Old Dog- New Tricks
Modding Experience:

Placing antenna bracket mod in the MA2 remote is the hardest part.

I have eletronic background, have fullset of tools of mine so it's not problem. But for those don't have skill, I think you need to find someone to install your bracket.

Result:
Flying distance is very good and it's worth the price (and the difficulties I exp on install ?)

I am in CE countries (Batam, Indonesia) with so many interference here.. I got only 200m-400m with stock remote. And with this antena I reach 2,2 Km!

E6D56845-80C5-4ECC-BE7D-86C1EF551FF1.jpeg2D1B5EA6-21DA-4CD3-98E6-0F48D64C4472.jpeg6F1C27BD-C7CB-48B2-BF38-28F072DFA15A.jpeg0B1C76C8-6CF9-46BF-899C-7CA80C7ED53A.jpeg74993599-3322-448D-AFEE-C39783F5F15A.jpeg63ED4AB0-ACBC-4AE7-A73A-3F456D9961EB.jpegF556E623-3066-4FBB-82B1-91BECEC65681.jpegDA375E50-CA07-49CD-95AC-457E879DCE1C.jpeg

TIPS:
Use your own precision screw driver set! Alientech supply it but it is bad one and it can damaging the screwhead.

Thank you

Attachments

• 23521839-2424-4A5F-8409-801887DC921E.jpeg
    23521839-2424-4A5F-8409-801887DC921E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 91
  • 89A89DCA-2E69-4A9C-B911-B7996C8886D1.jpeg
    89A89DCA-2E69-4A9C-B911-B7996C8886D1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • 1CE2C0D9-35B7-4FCD-BC76-E53FFF7D808F.png
    1CE2C0D9-35B7-4FCD-BC76-E53FFF7D808F.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
Reactions: Oldi001
Fabulous. I will be looking to get the dual band. Can you recommend a good video guide to set this up? Any help appreciated ?

Excellent topic - I was on phantom pilots for a while but my long range phantom 4 was stolen. I just got a Mini 2 and modified the remote with external antenna connectors. I was going to use rp-sma, but the connectors I had were low quality so I went with the qma connectors that came with the alientech adapter kit. It’s a little pricey for the cheap plastic it is with no instructions, but it works.

Anyway, I was stunned to see my remote with no antennas connected allowed me to fly 3300 in a congested/noisy RF area.

I don’t know what the purpose is of the left antenna, but on my Mini 2 remote it doesn’t appear to do anything. In a long range test with my amplified omni antennas, I hovered a few thousand feet out and unplugged the right antenna and lost signal immediately. In the same spot, I unplugged the left antenna and nothing changed - no warnings, no signal strength indicator change, nothing. So I then proceeded to fly nearly 10,000 feet on only the right antenna. When I started getting signal loss warnings I plugged in the left antenna and there was no difference.

Maybe, just maybe, this model doesn’t need the left antenna at all? I’d love to learn more about it if anyone has some additional insight as to what it’s purpose is. Right now, as far as my setup and tests go, that left antenna is cosmetic to me.

Reactions: DroneToJoy
Very useful detail and comments. I have ordered the duo II with amplifier with an adapted RC for my mini 2 (compatible with Air 2). From what I have seen this solution will greatly improve signal, which is key for doing flights in some areas with confidence.

Out of interest have you checked signal impact with obstacles in direct line of sight, such as when you circling an object at distance?

@DroneToJoy I’m curious to see if, when you get the Mini 2, if you’re impressed by the ridiculously strong built in antennas. They very well may meet or exceed your requirements. I know I was stunned, myself. They’ve come a long way since the Phantom 3 Standard...but even just over the Mini 1, it’s a massive improvement. I don’t have an Alientech amp/antenna combo but I’ve heard nothing but good things about them. If it’s anything close to the 4Hawks SR with sunhans amplifiers, you’ll be able to fly behind stuff without any signal issues.

Thanks so much for the input. I'm due to receive them in a few days so will definitely let you know. They also set it up for me with a new second remote, so let's see.

What I've found is that the Mini 2 remote has the 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz bands separated out per-antenna. I have to re-open my remote to trace which is which, but today I ran some flight tests and confirmed (to the best of my ability) that one antenna is dedicated to 2.4 and the other is 5.8 and it's not both frequencies on both antennas. This is important for two reasons: those looking to buy amplifiers will be wasting half their money on an one of two amps that won't do anything. Also, since the antennas are separated, it will matter which one is connected to the alientech DUOii since that antenna has a 2.4 connector and a separate 5.8 connector. It'll be a 50/50 shot at connecting it correctly without knowing for sure. The install guide (which was greatly lacking in crucial detail) also doesn't mention anything about the cables and which to hook up where. Hopefully I'll be able to crack the remote open again tomorrow to trace back the 2.4 antenna to either the W or B connector on the remote's circuit board.

Reactions: armyndharis
What I've found is that the Mini 2 remote has the 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz bands separated out per-antenna. I have to re-open my remote to trace which is which, but today I ran some flight tests and confirmed (to the best of my ability) that one antenna is dedicated to 2.4 and the other is 5.8 and it's not both frequencies on both antennas. This is important for two reasons: those looking to buy amplifiers will be wasting half their money on an one of two amps that won't do anything. Also, since the antennas are separated, it will matter which one is connected to the alientech DUOii since that antenna has a 2.4 connector and a separate 5.8 connector. It'll be a 50/50 shot at connecting it correctly without knowing for sure. The install guide (which was greatly lacking in crucial detail) also doesn't mention anything about the cables and which to hook up where. Hopefully I'll be able to crack the remote open again tomorrow to trace back the 2.4 antenna to either the W or B connector on the remote's circuit board.

Thank you for your finding and share.. I will do the same and trace the cable.

Why dont you ask Alien Tech directly perhaps? They are very prompt on any questions I asked and maybe can give you a more specific guideline on this. It's too their benefit to assist where they can. I think they are actually quite a small company as the chap who responded to me at support was always the same (Simon Kan). I may be wrong though.

Why dont you ask Alien Tech directly perhaps? They are very prompt on any questions I asked and maybe can give you a more specific guideline on this. It's too their benefit to assist where they can. I think they are actually quite a small company as the chap who responded to me at support was always the same (Simon Kan). I may be wrong though.
Pretty great idea, actually. Thank you. I reached out to DJI, mentioned to MaxxUAV, and posted a few places here about it and haven't heard back from anyone. DJI just kept sending me pictures from the manual showing me where the antennas are located on the Mini 2. ?

Pretty great idea, actually. Thank you. I reached out to DJI, mentioned to MaxxUAV, and posted a few places here about it and haven't heard back from anyone. DJI just kept sending me pictures from the manual showing me where the antennas are located on the Mini 2. ?
Just got my alientech duo today and did an unboxing. Also just finally set it up and did a short test. The transmission skyrocketed so look forward to testing it! ?

I’m actually kind of upset right now. I just reverted my remote back to stock because I forgot to do a distance test to compare against...and stock absolutely destroyed my maximum range with the amplifiers. I got out to 13,000 ft before I had to turn around due to battery (because I ran two other test runs on amps prior and used the same battery). I was fully expecting to lose signal around 3k feet but this sucker just kept going. I’m at a loss. I wonder if I got a defective QMA cable from Alientech? Not sure. The rabbit hole keeps going deeper.

Interesting. So to understand the stock outperformed the alientech? Or have I got that the wrong way around?

Will test my side in the next few days vs rc with duo and let you know my side.

Initial look at transmission levels shows a significant jump in amplification already before take off. Am making a video.

No, stock outperformed my RF LINX 2.4 ghz amp connected to a 8.5db omnidirectional antenna. This is the same amp and antenna I used with my phantom 4. I just have to remember to switch the mini 2 to 2.4ghz only mode. I don’t have the alientech duo, just their qma mounting assembly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52