DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

All this waiting for my Mavic has forced my hand..

Dronebow

Reactions
Broke out the Blade Nano... :rolleyes:

Flying without GPS is kind of fun.. and frustrating... but also fun...

What are you flying while waiting for the Mavic?

I've been flying my Phantom 4 mostly. It's too windy at the beach to head out and fly today though :(

Reactions: Jim Snith
I've been flying my Phantom 4 mostly. It's too windy at the beach to head out and fly today though :(
I've heard this "too windy" thing before and I have to say, I don't know what that means.. What wind speed is too windy for the P4? And do you use an anemometer?

Last edited:
I have a Parrot Rolling Spider that has been fun crashing into walls and trees and stuff. Sturdy little thing.

I've heard this "too windy" think before and I have to say, I don't know that that means.. What wind speed is too windy for the P4?
DJI recommends not flying in winds greater than 22 MPH. The wind gusts are 30 MPH here today :)

And do you use an anemometer?
No.

DJI recommends not flying in winds greater than 22 MPH. The wind gusts are 30 MPH here today :)

No.
Guess I'm a rebel.. I don't know how bad the wind was blown off the coast of Sydney but I'm willing to bet the gusts were above 30 with sustained winds of at least 20 to 25. My P3 performed flawlessly. Scared the crap out of me but I was on the other side of the world, had traveled about an hour to get to this spot and it was just too dang beautiful not to. :D

About 2:40 in is where the video of the cliffs start. Again, I didn't have an anemometer so I'm guessing at the wind speed.

You can just use a weather app to look at the current conditions. As a cyclist that likes to avoid riding into the wind (especially on the way back home), you get fairly good at going out and guessing wind speed. Anemometer is OK but for droning, a weather app is really best to give you a better idea of wind speed higher than ground level where you will most likely be holding your anemometer.

Broke out the Blade Nano... :rolleyes:

Flying without GPS is kind of fun.. and frustrating... but also fun...

What are you flying while waiting for the Mavic?

you should fly without gps as much as you can so when your gps goes out u know what to do...luckily when i get my mavic it's my first ever drone with gps...my piloting skills are pretty solid without it

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

you should fly without gps as much as you can so when your gps goes out u know what to do...luckily when i get my mavic it's my first ever drone with gps...my piloting skills are pretty solid without it

I've actually had GPS errors happen twice on my P3. The bird started to fly away in a direction I didn't want it to go. I calmly set it to ATTI mode and flew it back and landed. GPS came back on in both instances without any interaction from me and I continued to fly after. About the worst thing you can do is panic. Just keep your head straight.

Syma X5C-1. It's my only quad at the moment, and I've just bought new props to go with the new motors, and 5 higher-capacity, higher-discharge batteries, arriving Friday.

The only reason I bought the Mavic instead of a P3S was the size- I just like flying for fun, but also happen to like photography and have nothing better than a cell phone camera.

Guess I'm a rebel.. I don't know how bad the wind was blown off the coast of Sydney but I'm willing to bet the gusts were above 30 with sustained winds of at least 20 to 25. My P3 performed flawlessly. Scared the crap out of me but I was on the other side of the world, had traveled about an hour to get to this spot and it was just too dang beautiful not to. :D

About 2:40 in is where the video of the cliffs start. Again, I didn't have an anemometer so I'm guessing at the wind speed.

Awesome Footage!

I'm curious... Being from Sydney myself and thus knowing the city well, whereabouts specifically were you controlling it from?

Syma X5C-1. It's my only quad at the moment, and I've just bought new props to go with the new motors, and 5 higher-capacity, higher-discharge batteries, arriving Friday.

The only reason I bought the Mavic instead of a P3S was the size- I just like flying for fun, but also happen to like photography and have nothing better than a cell phone camera.

i have a syma also...i just fly it around the house mostly and sometimes outside

I've actually had GPS errors happen twice on my P3. The bird started to fly away in a direction I didn't want it to go. I calmly set it to ATTI mode and flew it back and landed. GPS came back on in both instances without any interaction from me and I continued to fly after. About the worst thing you can do is panic. Just keep your head straight.

ive been hearing this mode isn't on the mavic...which worries me because if it starts flying away when gps fails i want to be able to switch to atti and take full control quickly...but from what i hear it doesn't have this function

I have a Parrot Rolling Spider that has been fun crashing into walls and trees and stuff. Sturdy little thing.

I just picked one of these up - Pretty cool! The thing is, after flying heli's first and then moving to a P1/P3A, the whole iPhone controller SUCKS! It's great that it does not seem to break after bashing into the floor (after a down flip), but I miss the feed back of an RC and control. I keep slipping outside of the touch controller!

I need to play with ATTI mode more on my P3A. I have seen GPS and interference problems 3+ times out of only a small number of flights, but I keep it pretty low and close. I was flying the other day in 30+ MPH wind gusts (~15-20 sustained) and it was quite a challenge even with GPS. I was flying down a residential street with trees, powerlines, etc while taking a movie of my subjects.

Still, the P3A is a lot more competent than the P1 was. I remember putting her up maybe 40-50' and the wind started tearing her away from me and no matter how hard I pushed her forward she kept going the opposite direction. I was not "expecting" to fly in that direction and there was water and dense trees in the area it was going. I kept it calm, knew that there was a small parking lot about 200' feet in that direction so I let it play out, threw it down hard to pass the tree line and then somehow softly landed near a curb!

..In those days, there was no way to see the gopro on the device, so it was really flying blind!

I have been playing with a little Hubsan 520s, its got FPV, GPS, RTH, Follow Me and lots of bells and whistles. I've spent quite a lot of time simply practising flying figure of eights and various orientation exercises as well as normal flying. Its so small and quiet that once its about 20m away you cant actually hear it, at 100m up its like a dot but the FPV still works fine.

I think its probably the best value Mavic on a budget at the moment. And a lot cheaper to crash whilst learning :)

Blade 450x will see the sky today

Nice bird. I always wanted to pick up a Nano CP S, but I never got my Blade CX2 to every feel responsive and I hated how they (Blade) created their blade to break on any little impact.

I've heard this "too windy" thing before and I have to say, I don't know what that means.. What wind speed is too windy for the P4? And do you use an anemometer?

I had my P4 "blown away" from me a couple of months ago by a thunderstorm front that was moving in. P4 was stationary about 350 ft up and photoing the storm, which I thought was still a safe distance. I noticed the image staryting to move in my iPad and looked up and the P4 was gone. After a brief period of panic, I initiated return to home and it miraculously fought its way back in the wind. It had been blown about 300 yards away. I was so mad that I was taking still photos instead of video. That would have been a cool video. Just guessing, but I think that wind gust was at least 40 mph. The P4 did maintain its altitude the whole time despite being blown away laterally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada