DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alphabet's Wing brings its drone safety app to the US

Thanks for the heads up. It's always nice to have more LAANC options, but I'm a little hesitant about giving Google/Alphabet more of my personal information.

Thanks for the heads up. It's always nice to have more LAANC options, but I'm a little hesitant about giving Google/Alphabet more of my personal information.
So you don't think the government is using, and even selling, your info when you use the B4UFly app?

Everyone must be aware that almost anyone you interact with is using and selling your information in some way. Your info almost has as much value (or even more) then the cost of the item itself. DJI has your info, AirData has your info, FAA has your data, Google or Apple already has your data. How hard is it for all of them to tie everything you do together?

So you don't think the government is using, and even selling, your info when you use the B4UFly app?

Everyone must be aware that almost anyone you interact with is using and selling your information in some way. Your info almost has as much value (or even more) then the cost of the item itself. DJI has your info, AirData has your info, FAA has your data, Google or Apple already has your data. How hard is it for all of them to tie everything you do together?

Personally I use Kittyhawk (Aloft, now). But like I said, it's about giving Google (not the government) more of my personal information. You're free to use their new app if you'd like.

Personally I use Kittyhawk (Aloft, now). But like I said, it's about giving Google (not the government) more of my personal information. You're free to use their new app if you'd like.
Have you read Kitthawk's privacy policy? They are giving your info to Google (3rd party advertisers) plus can use your info pretty much for anything they want. To quote:

• Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, details about your browser, operating system or device, location information, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before, during and after using the Services, information about the links you click, and other information about how you use the Services. Information we collect may be associated with accounts and other devices. In addition, we may automatically collect data regarding your use of our Services, such as the types of content you interact with and the frequency and duration of your activities. We may combine your information with information that other people provide when they use our Services.
  • Cookies, Pixel Tags/Web Beacons, Analytics Information, and Interest-Based Advertising technologies. We, as well as third parties that provide content or other functionality on the Services, may use cookies, pixel tags, local storage, and other technologies (“Technologies”) to automatically collect information through the Services. Technologies are essentially small data files placed on your computer, tablet, mobile phone, or other devices that allow us and our partners to record certain pieces of information whenever you visit or interact with our Services.
    • Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
    • Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in the Services that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.

Have you read Kitthawk's privacy policy? They are giving your info to Google (3rd party advertisers) plus can use your info pretty much for anything they want. To quote:

• Automatic Data Collection. We may collect certain information automatically when you use the Services. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, user settings, MAC address, cookie identifiers, mobile carrier, mobile advertising and other unique identifiers, details about your browser, operating system or device, location information, Internet service provider, pages that you visit before, during and after using the Services, information about the links you click, and other information about how you use the Services. Information we collect may be associated with accounts and other devices. In addition, we may automatically collect data regarding your use of our Services, such as the types of content you interact with and the frequency and duration of your activities. We may combine your information with information that other people provide when they use our Services.
  • Cookies, Pixel Tags/Web Beacons, Analytics Information, and Interest-Based Advertising technologies. We, as well as third parties that provide content or other functionality on the Services, may use cookies, pixel tags, local storage, and other technologies (“Technologies”) to automatically collect information through the Services. Technologies are essentially small data files placed on your computer, tablet, mobile phone, or other devices that allow us and our partners to record certain pieces of information whenever you visit or interact with our Services.
    • Cookies. Cookies are small text files placed in visitors’ computer browsers to store their preferences. Most browsers allow you to block and delete cookies. However, if you do that, the Services may not work properly.
    • Pixel Tags/Web Beacons. A pixel tag (also known as a web beacon) is a piece of code embedded in the Services that collects information about users’ engagement on that web page. The use of a pixel allows us to record, for example, that a user has visited a particular web page or clicked on a particular advertisement.
This is all standard analytics stuff included in almost any mobile app. Alphabet's LAANC app is additionally sharing your actual flight details with Google, according to the linked article.

I also block most analytics via a firewall on my decide and network, which helps somewhat there.

Is there a reason you are trying to argue so much over not wanting to use additional Google products? I simply don't like the direction Google has gone in recent years and prefer to use alternatives when I can.

Reactions: KaiservonPoopChute
thanks for sharing!

On the PiXL Drone show with Greg yesterday, the CEO of (Kittyhawk) Aloft was on and addressed this very topic about data sharing. I would trust them before Google. He explained that your data through Aloft is not sold to 3rd parties and he prefers to keep it that way.

On the PiXL Drone show with Greg yesterday, the CEO of (Kittyhawk) Aloft was on and addressed this very topic about data sharing. I would trust them before Google. He explained that your data through Aloft is not sold to 3rd parties and he prefers to keep it that way.
If they have no plans to sell or share your data then why do they ask you give them permission to do so? If they have no plans then just say in the TOS that "we will not sell or share your data"!

If they have no plans to sell or share your data then why do they ask you give them permission to do so? If they have no plans then just say in the TOS that "we will not sell or share your data"!
Perhaps it's a disclaimer because it is out there on the public network. Many companies have to CYA to keep the lawyers happy. I would still trust them before Google.

I downloaded it - I'll use it to see how it compares to Aloft. If it doesn't, it's gone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinhayesroberts