DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altering Return to Home

Shadow2020

Reactions
I often use RTH. I know many purists out there don't like it.. but I do. I fly my mission manually and then relax and let my bird fly itself home. BUT, sometimes, I like to alter its course, usually just to get the camera to see something... I'll turn it or whatever. I notice sometimes, it just ends up continuing and lands on the designated spot. But other times, say if I move it 10 feet off its course, it lands 10 feet off. Does anyone know what it specifically does.. what the rules are... Is it that it will RTH if the modifications in course occur more than x feet away... or if alterations just are related to the angle of the camera or the way it the drone is pointing etc. I almost landed on top of my house the other day when I did a minor modification of its flight home...and it did not go to the return point. Just trying to figure out exactly what it does and "thinks" . I almost think it should notify you with a warning if something you do is going to cause it not to return to home.

As others will probably state, RTH was never meant to be the primary means of flying your drone back, but a fail safe. That said you, can choose to use it however you want.
On the other hand, when changing its course in mid travel, all bets are off, in my mind.

Right.. all makes sense. But I am asking what the mavic internal rules actually are if anyone knows.

Thanks

It should be going back to its recorded homepoint. But Gps can be off.

if you have set precision landing, moving the sticks during RTH will cancel the precision landing.

Right.. all makes sense. But I am asking what the mavic internal rules actually are if anyone knows.

Thanks
I don't know how stick inputs affects RTH but you can always cancel and restart RTH if still out a ways.

Reactions: MicLine
It should at least allow yaw, in case you want to catch that sunset you otherwise just missed.
But then if you flew backwards or sideways, OA wouldn't work. RTH OA is designed and expecting only to need the front ones.

10ft is just within normal positioning error. It doesn't care about what you do during RTH.

Reactions: Simmo
10ft is just within normal positioning error. It doesn't care about what you do during RTH.
Didn't think that was the case if using precision setting.... I thought it pixel matches the ground to land on the exact spot....

Didn't think that was the case if using precision setting.... I thought it pixel matches the ground to land on the exact spot....
And were you using Precision Landing? (the flight data would show if you did)
Was the launch point suitable for precision landing (well lit with a recognisable texture or pattern)?
Did you allow it to photograph the launch spot properly?
If you don't use Precision Landing properly, the Mavic can only use GPS to return.
It is aiming for the lat/Long position it stores when it first gets GPS so it doesn't matter what you on the way, it's still aiming for that point.
As Kilrah says, 10 ft is withing the possible range using GPS.

DJI 's Mavic Pro manual doesn't specifically cover the - "What happens if I move off course during RTH?" - question, but it might give some clues with how the Forward Vision System [FVS] interacts with RTH. RTH uses the FVS to avoid obstacles it might find in front of the drone when it's tracking back to the operator at the preset height. The manual describes how the Mavic will stop, then rise 5 metres above the obstacle and then continue on track back to the home point to do its descent. The manual says;
"To ensure the aircraft returns home forwards, it cannot rotate during RTH while the Forward Vision System is enabled."
Now - I'm interpreting that to mean that if you yaw the drone off the RTH track, it can no longer fulfil a criteria of RTH i.e. looking out for obstacles between it and the home point ... That might be what's 'breaking' the RTH and causing your landing discrepancies.
I would suggest however, that when flying your drone (or flying anything!) don't go off and do something else in the middle of a manoeuvre ... You wouldn't set up an aircraft on the landing flight-path into an airport, then decide to head off to see a local landmark at the outer marker. If you are going to do something different - then cancel your RTH - do your detour / filming, then either manually recover or RTH.
If you do that, you'll minimise the chance that your next post here will be about how your Mavic did a fly-away!

Now - I'm interpreting that to mean that if you yaw the drone off the RTH track, it can no longer fulfil a criteria of RTH i.e. looking out for obstacles between it and the home point ... That might be what's 'breaking' the RTH and causing your landing discrepancies.
RTH is heading toward the stored home point.
That's all it knows how to do and it can get there from anywhere.
If you vary the course but don't cancel RTH, it will continue to go to the stored home point - not some other point.
If RTH is "broken", it's not in RTH any more and will just hover unless you give it some joystick input.

RTH is heading toward the stored home point.
That's all it knows how to do and it can get there from anywhere.
If you vary the course but don't cancel RTH, it will continue to go to the stored home point - not some other point.
If RTH is "broken", it's not in RTH any more and will just hover unless you give it some joystick input.
You'd think that was the case - yes - So why is @Shadow2020 seeing this change of home point??? There is something missing here ...

I think its because he has cancelled precision landing during RTH, (by moving the sticks) and is simply on a normal, RTH to Home waypoint... which could no worries be off by 10 feet?

I think its because he has cancelled precision landing during RTH, (by moving the sticks) and is simply on a normal, RTH to Home waypoint... which could no worries be off by 10 feet?
You might cancel Precision Landing while it's happening ....
But moving the sticks doesn't cancel RTH
RTH is not Precision Landing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spludge