DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternative for Flightaware/Flightradar24?

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
Before I say anything your eyes and ears are the best way to find airplanes in the sky. My usual flying sport is near a class g airport and I am aware of where the traffic pattern is and where planes would be approaching on both runways. I usually use flightaware to see live traffic that is too far out for me to see but just to know that they are coming. The problem with flightaware is that it is to glitchy for my device, flightradar24 seems to be a little better but just wondering what you would recommend.

I use FlightRadar24 every single day but it's important to understand the limitations of any ADS-B App right now. If you're not operating in/near controlled airspace odds are you're only seeing small percentage of the aircraft in your area.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
I use FlightRadar24 every single day but it's important to understand the limitations of any ADS-B App right now. If you're not operating in/near controlled airspace odds are you're only seeing small percentage of the aircraft in your area.
Same but some aircraft dont pop up. So you would still have to look around for them

Edit: just realized thats literally what you just said

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Away from controlled airspace, ears are very useful, ultralights and many recreational A/C don’t have transponders. You will usually hear these noisy beasts 30 secs to a minute before you see them over the tree tops.

Reactions: BigAl07
I got FR24 to help me avoid the always low flying LAPD copters. Came to find out they don’t always have the transponder on. I use it mostly now for plane spotting commercial airliners.

Eyes and ears for the other.

I got FR24 to help me avoid the always low flying LAPD copters. Came to find out they don’t always have the transponder on. I use it mostly now for plane spotting commercial airliners.

Eyes and ears for the other.

Outside of controlled airspace I would be most "Radar App Users" would be shocked how MANY aircraft aren't showing on the App for one reason or another. :)

I have found with the app, it hardly shows planes in my area. There is no better ground station able to pick up the plane than your drone. I am up a lot especially if we have the medical chopper coming in. They hardly ever show on flightradar 24 but he is always there on my drone with location,, altitude and distance from me. Also flying at class G they are not required to have ADS-B. Have found some running it and some not.

Outside of controlled airspace I would be most "Radar App Users" would be shocked how MANY aircraft aren't showing on the App for one reason or another. :)
I'm located within the LAX Mode C veil. Shouldn't all aircraft within that need ADS-B out?

FR24 is useful when flying in areas with Medical Heliports as it will show the Medivac flights giving you a heads up prior to hearing them.

I'm located within the LAX Mode C veil. Shouldn't all aircraft within that need ADS-B out?

Yes most of them "Should".... Keep in mind that sometimes Law Enforcement and Military "can" not broadcast for obvious reasons.

FR24 is useful when flying in areas with Medical Heliports as it will show the Medivac flights giving you a heads up prior to hearing them.

I live directly under a Fly-Way between our 2 outer lying hospitals and our larger primary hospital. We have (2) MediVacs stationed in the area and I'd estimate they show up on FR24 about 70% of the time but for whatever reason it's not even near 100%. Keep in mind I live in a very rural area and in Golf Airspace with our nearest Controlled Airspace about 35 miles away as the crow flies.

I keep FR24 open on my iPad and enjoy "tracking" any aircraft I hear/see overheard. I should try and keep score to note the difference from tracked to not tracked...

So several are using drones that are not ADS-B I take it and using flight radar 24?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas