DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude according to Photoshop

Photoman482

Reactions
I was checking the altitude of an image in the file info section in Photoshop CC and it showed 178 m. Thats 583 ft. I know I wasnt that high.
Any thoughts?

I was checking the altitude of an image in the file info section in Photoshop CC and it showed 178 m. Thats 583 ft. I know I wasnt that high.
Any thoughts?
Your drone camera records two different altitude numbers in the metadata but Photoshop only shows one.
One number is the relative altitude ... that's what you see on the screen while flying and the other is absolute altitude which DJI label as GPS altitude (although it doesn't come from GPS).
It's a rough approximation of altitude above sea level but it's calculated from air pressure and uses an incorrect assumption so the number is not accurate at all.

i-35TGrS4.jpg

Reactions: Brian I and Jay241
Your drone camera records two different altitude numbers in the metadata but Photoshop only shows one.
One number is the relative altitude ... that's what you see on the screen while flying and the other is absolute altitude which DJI label as GPS altitude (although it doesn't come from GPS).
It's a rough approximation of altitude above sea level but it's calculated from air pressure and uses an incorrect assumption so the number is not accurate at all.

i-35TGrS4.jpg

While it's true that the absolute altitude field used to be contain the pressure altitude from the barometric sensor, that changed in late 2019, at least on all the Mavic 2 firmware after v01.00.0510. The absolute altitude and GPS altitude fields now both show the actual GPS altitude MSL. The relative altitude is still barometric above takeoff.

I haven't checked to see whether the other Air and Mini firmware is doing the same thing, but I would expect that it is.

Do you really want 'exif' data or metadata attached to your images? Especially if it makes it look like you violated FAA codes? If so, google 'how to remove metadata from photos'.

I have noticed this. Thanks for sharing!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002