DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

altitude ceiling removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

VARGA PÉTER

Reactions
Hi, I've been trying to remove the altitude ceiling from my mavic air following the instructions on this link (
), but I'm unable to open the console and the inspector from the DJI Assistant app. I've got the current latest (1.2.5) with the latest firmware (not sure about the version, but it got updated today 07/07/2019).
I'm guessing that the newer versions of the program do not allow to access the console to change the parameters as shown on that video, so I've been trying to search/download an older version with no success. All of the links I've found (from this forum too) return an "access denied" error and I couldn't find anything else.
I've also read on the forum to "ignore" that limit since the aircraft will fly over it anyway.
So, my questions would be:
* should I don't worry about this formal limitation since it will fly over it anyway?
if a hack is actually needed:
* where can I download an older version of the DJI Assistans?
* changing the settings from the hacked Assistant would be enough, or I would need to f.i. downgrade the firmware?

Thanks for the help!

Which altitude limit are you talking about exactly? Is ti the 500 meter absolute limit? Why would you need to fly higher than that?

Reactions: dawgpilot
You must have the exact assistant version he uses and enable debug mode in it, he's got another video for that.

Hi, I've been trying to remove the altitude ceiling from my mavic air following the instructions on this link (
), but I'm unable to open the console and the inspector from the DJI Assistant app. I've got the current latest (1.2.5) with the latest firmware (not sure about the version, but it got updated today 07/07/2019).
I'm guessing that the newer versions of the program do not allow to access the console to change the parameters as shown on that video, so I've been trying to search/download an older version with no success. All of the links I've found (from this forum too) return an "access denied" error and I couldn't find anything else.
I've also read on the forum to "ignore" that limit since the aircraft will fly over it anyway.
* should I don't worry about this formal limitation since it will fly over it anyway?
* changing the settings from the hacked Assistant would be enough, or I would need to f.i. downgrade the firmware?

Thanks for the help!
First, I think the reason you are getting the "access denied" from this forum is because you have to enable viewing for the "Mavic Modifications" group in your account settings as it has recently been made "private" for members only.

I do not know which height limit you are referring to but setting up the DJI Assistant to adjust parameters can be found in this thread.
Mavic 2 Atti mode
Download links, parameters, ect, can be found here.
Assign ATTI to RC mode switch on DJI Mavic 2

I changed my mpp limit for one purpose: I'm in the mountains, in a valley and I'm not able too see the right path to follow (no signs). But this is a very limited benefit: if I climb to 1000 meters, I have very few time until I received the rth message and I do want any risk from my part. So, no so useful as I thought.

Reactions: Emanáku and Chiuki

Thanks for the help!
Why would you? Not sure you’re going to get much help (or sympathy) on this subject!

If I knew how to help him I would. He's already explained why, and you don't know what country he's in or what the laws are there.
Not wishing to be pedantic but I don’t see where he says he has a valid reason for wanting to do this, and why should I assume that he’s flying in one of the few countries in the world that don’t have legal altitude constraints when he doesn’t offer this information?

Reactions: PhantomFandom
If I knew how to help him I would. He's already explained why, and you don't know what country he's in or what the laws are there.

That’s a valid point, as there was a member here once asking a similar question because he was going to be in international waters documenting “ghost nets” (drifting lost or abandoned nets that cause havoc for marine life) and needed to be able to get wider shots of the open ocean. Even so, it is ok for anyone here to comment, including if someone wants to respectfully comment about the responsibilities of drone flying as well.

Reactions: Lbesing
Not wishing to be pedantic but I don’t see where he says he has a valid reason for wanting to do this, and why should I assume that he’s flying in one of the few countries in the world that don’t have legal altitude constraints when he doesn’t offer this information?
You're right, I apologize, I had read the reasoning in another post, not the OP. But why should you assume it's any of your business to question someone else's motives for seeking help on the forum? It seems like every thread like this is descended on by wannabe drone cops. This is an international forum and the rules aren't the same everywhere.

You're right, I apologize, I had read the reasoning in another post, not the OP. But why should you assume it's any of your business to question someone else's motives for seeking help on the forum? It seems like every thread like this is descended on by wannabe drone cops. This is an international forum and the rules aren't the same everywhere.
And why should this forum be so helpful to anyone that asks how to hack the operational limits of a drone that is designed to be used safely around the world?

You going to help the next person that asks “how do I hack my drone so that I can get a closer look at the pretty aeroplanes at Gatwick airport?”

We should all be responsible for how we influence how the use of drones is perceived by the rest of society - it has a pretty poor reputation globally as it is!

You going to help the next person that asks “how do I hack my drone so that I can get a closer look at the pretty aeroplanes at Gatwick airport?”
The laws with respect to deliberately flying drones in and around aircraft are well known. You still don't how or where the OP wants to fly. See how simple that is?

The laws with respect to deliberately flying drones in and around aircraft are well known. You still don't how or where the OP wants to fly. See how simple that is?
In this day & age of bad press against drone pilots, I’d rather take the position of assumption of guilt against someone who asks how to hack a drone to potentially fly illegally, and be proven wrong, than offer up “here’s how you do it” & provide them with the means of giving drone pilots even more bad rep!

PS

I noticed that we haven’t heard anything from the OP to explain why he was asking, nor telling us where in the world he wishes to fly above the design limits of his drone

Thanks for the help!
Or we could just ask? ... @VARGA PETER ... There's a lot of places around the world where it sounds like (from your brief description), what you are wanting to do is outside of UAS rules and reg's as stipulated by local & national Aviation Governing Authorities. Can you please let us know what part of the world you are flying in, and why you are trying to achieve this modification - and that way Forum members can either see that you are attempting to do something that is within the rules and choose to assist - or - is outside the rules and either ignore your post, or provide advice regarding the wisdom of such mod's. Thanks ...

I do not know if he has a legal flight in mind or not which he may or may not let us know. However, there are legal situations even here in the US that someone would need to exceed the height limitation. For example someone may be flying to film a skyscraper, or inspect a tower, each of which may be higher than the 500m limit. A 107 pilot is authorized to fly 400' above a structure when within a 400' radius of that structure. So a pilot inspecting a 2000' tower could legally fly up to 2400' which is not possible without bypassing the 500m limitation set by DJI. And I know there are exceptions to this depending on the UAV make/model they are flying.

I do not know if he has a legal flight in mind or not which he may or may not let us know. However, there are legal situations even here in the US that someone would need to exceed the height limitation. For example someone may be flying to film a skyscraper, or inspect a tower, each of which may be higher than the 500m limit. A 107 pilot is authorized to fly 400' above a structure when within a 400' radius of that structure. So a pilot inspecting a 2000' tower could legally fly up to 2400' which is not possible without bypassing the 500m limitation set by DJI. And I know there are exceptions to this depending on the UAV make/model they are flying.
So instead of taking the "more likely" scenario that this OP was just trying to fly high illegally, you just take the most extreme and rare case where someone needs to fly around a 2,000 foot tower? You also assume that this pilot is a Part 107 licensed pilot and flying within 400 feet of one of these structures?
In other words, you believe the OP needs to fly legally above 1640 feet AGL? There are probably less than 200 such structures WORLDWIDE that surpass 500 meters in height.
Also there has been no response whatsoever from the OP, so again I make no assumptions about him having a legal reason for exceeding the 500 meter altitude limit.

Reactions: InvisibleName
So instead of taking the "more likely" scenario that this OP was just trying to fly high illegally, you just take the most extreme and rare case where someone needs to fly around a 2,000 foot tower? You also assume that this pilot is a Part 107 licensed pilot and flying within 400 feet of one of these structures?
In other words, you believe the OP needs to fly legally above 1640 feet AGL? There are probably less than 200 such structures WORLDWIDE that surpass 500 meters in height.
Also there has been no response whatsoever from the OP, so again I make no assumptions about him having a legal reason for exceeding the 500 meter altitude limit.
So instead of 'inviting this guy in' to see if he's just ill-informed or ignorant of the rules, you'd rather push him off and force him 'underground'? I'm reminded of a Post in this forum a couple of months ago, where this question was very relevant and asked for good reason ... Picture the scenario, where you are wanting to 'scout' a route up the side of a mountain that you are preparing to trek up. At no time do you want to take your Mavic above 400 ft AGL, but - rather frustratingly - the DJI Software only allows you to take the Mavic 500m up the mountainside ... What CAA and/or FAA rules are broken there ...

• Love
Reactions: drakkor and BigAl07
So instead of 'inviting this guy in' to see if he's just ill-informed or ignorant of the rules, you'd rather push him off and force him 'underground'? I'm reminded of a Post in this forum a couple of months ago, where this question was very relevant and asked for good reason ... Picture the scenario, where you are wanting to 'scout' a route up the side of a mountain that you are preparing to trek up. At no time do you want to take your Mavic above 400 ft AGL, but - rather frustratingly - the DJI Software only allows you to take the Mavic 500m up the mountainside ... What CAA and/or FAA rules are broken there ...

PhantomFandom, I was not making any assumptions as stated in the first sentence (if you care to read it). I was simply stating that there are legal situations where one may need to exceed the height limitation.

Should the OP care to stick around and listen to your condemnation, rather than simply ask him a question and offer help, maybe he would provide his reason and you, as well as the OP could learn something. If I came on here and asked for some help and received the negative comments you so graciously provided, I would leave the post and go elsewhere myself, which is probably why he has not responded.

Gather facts first, then make YOUR assumptions, then maybe some education and help could be provided to more than just he OP.

Well I'm sad to say this...

****Thread Closed*****

We've, ONCE AGAIN, completely derailed a thread and to make matters worse its with a brand new member to our forum. Surely we're better than this people . . . . maybe?

@VARGA PÉTER please let me first apologize for your treatment as a new member. I hope you give us an opportunity to help you better in this problem you're experiencing. If you do come back to the forum and you want this thread opened back up (and cleaned) please don't hesitate to contact me directly and I'll make it happen. Good luck in your endeavors.

Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143