DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude indoors, GPS off

iExp

Reactions
I was asked to film some construction inside a 30 foot high barn. But the Mini would just go to 9ft and stop saying high altitude reached. There were some offices built in about 7 feet high, I would fly over it and Mini elevated another 7 feet above. So, how do I go 24-26 feet up? I don’t remember indoor altitude settings...

I was asked to film some construction inside a 30 foot high barn. But the Mini would just go to 9ft and stop saying high altitude reached. There were some offices built in about 7 feet high, I would fly over it and Mini elevated another 7 feet above. So, how do I go 24-26 feet up? I don’t remember indoor altitude settings...
Can you turn off VPS on the mini? This may allow you more height indoors but this is speculation I don’t have a mini

Last edited:
I'd try altitude mode and possibly try taping over the bottom sensors and see if that works.

Reactions: iExp
Thanks to all suggestions. OMG, flying with sensors taped is difficult. The barn I attempted to fly have bunch of fans to circulate so there is massive air movements.

So, I crashed into a wall and it landed on cross beam safely. Surprisingly no damage not even a scratch on props as the walls are insulated with soft things.

It was about 20 feet up I had to get scissor lift to retrieve it. Well, 10 min later I was flying again. I even recorded the crash, unfortunately I cannot share as it’s a secret facility...

I think everyone should learn to fly a drone without GPS or optical stabilisation to get an appreciation of just how much work the electronics are doing. :) It certainly makes you a lot more cautious about flying in certain conditions (eg gusty wind) or places (close to buildings/trees/water) as you learn the effects of turbulence and what happens when even a light breeze is caused to change direction by an obstruction.

Glad you managed to retrieve your Mini :) Luckily I've only flown my tiny (and cheap) Cheerson CX10-WD indoors, which is small and light enough that it can take a few tumbles. It doesn't have any stabilisation at all other than accelerometers and barometer, so it never sits still ;) My Hubsan H501S and Mavic Mini are strictly outdoor calm weather drones.

Thanks. I know. I couldn’t find my prop guards last night. Must’ve thrown away with box, or stashed it so I don’t loose them. Ordered new guards as I need to fly in very tight room next week

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midlifecrisis77