DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude limitations

Are you asking about 333 exemption, 107, and Fly-4-fun?
Think I understand it now. Check my post above to you which I was writing as you posted... appreciate your time and effort. Clarified something for me in the app.

Last edited:
Think I understand it now. Check my post above to you which I was writing as you posted... appreciate your time and effort. Clarified something for me in the app.

NP I think they could have made it easier if 333 was a sub option once somebody has already chosen 107 bc you have to already be 107 to qualify for 333

Reactions: Thomas B
First timer here, so if I’m jumping in wrong, I’m sorry. Where can I find a work around in the altitude limitations. I am in Utah and live on the back side of the mountains on a ranch with no neighbors, but I can’t even go looking for my horses as I had hoped When you have different draws and canyons like we do, I was wanting to send the drone up to find the herd. Is there a software patch ? Something? Very limiting otherwise

Got out of beginner mode yesterday, took off and went straight up. Got to 387 feet before I got a warning on my iPad display. I couldn't see my aircraft all. I made sure I was paying attention to the display on the iPad. I could tell from the surroundings what my orientation was. I flew out a thousand feet or so at the altitude and rotated the aircraft around to try and locate the white STROBON Cree robe light and couldn't see it either. In a panic, I hit RTH and waited. The low battery arm started shortly after that. Finally I heard the sound up above my head, but still couldn't see it. I watched the altitude on the display and just under 200 feet above I could see it. It landed safely four feet away from the landing pad. Even though I have insurance on it, I freaked out when I couldn't see it, glad I decided RTH when I did.

Reactions: Lbesing
First timer here, so if I’m jumping in wrong, I’m sorry. Where can I find a work around in the altitude limitations. I am in Utah and live on the back side of the mountains on a ranch with no neighbors, but I can’t even go looking for my horses as I had hoped When you have different draws and canyons like we do, I was wanting to send the drone up to find the herd. Is there a software patch ? Something? Very limiting otherwise
I believe that is absolute altitude above ground beneath the drone, .... not altitude above takeoff point. May be wrong, fly it at the base of a mountain to test.

I believe that is absolute altitude above ground beneath the drone, .... not altitude above takeoff point. May be wrong, fly it at the base of a mountain to test.

The 500 m (1640 ft) restriction in the DJI firmware is height above the takeoff point. The aircraft is unaware of its height above ground (AGL).

Reactions: Thomas B
What problem are you running into?

The 500 m (1640 ft) restriction in the DJI firmware is height above the takeoff point. The aircraft is unaware of its height above ground (AGL).
AGL and above take off point is the same thing. I'm confused a little by what you have stated and want to be sure new owners here are not confused. If you take off at your feet and you are standing at sea level, or if you climbed to the top of a 10,000 ft mountain and put the drone at your feet, the 500m restriction is the same, it is above the point of take off, which is the same thing as AGL Above ground level. The aircraft would be well aware of it's height above the ground because it starts that height analysis the second you lift off. Therefore, for the aircraft to know it's height above the take off point, it also knows its height above ground, because this is one and the same.

AGL and above take off point is the same thing. I'm confused a little by what you have stated and want to be sure new owners here are not confused. If you take off at your feet and you are standing at sea level, or if you climbed to the top of a 10,000 ft mountain and put the drone at your feet, the 500m restriction is the same, it is above the point of take off, which is the same thing as AGL Above ground level. The aircraft would be well aware of it's height above the ground because it starts that height analysis the second you lift off. Therefore, for the aircraft to know it's height above the take off point, it also knows its height above ground, because this is one and the same.
Sorry but the height displayed on the screen is from the take off point ,and is not AGL at some other point ,if you took off from a high point and flew out over the valley you would be higher than the screen reading stated ,you would have to descend to keep your height above ground correct ,and at some point the reading on the screen would show a negative figure

No - that's incorrect. Altitude above takeoff point is the height above the takeoff location, whereas altitude above ground level (AGL) is the height above the ground directly below the aircraft.

Therefore, for the aircraft to know it's height above the take off point, it also knows its height above ground, because this is one and the same.
There are many places where you can launch and fly over rising or falling terrain. Not all of the earth's surface is pancake-flat.
AGL is the height above the ground (which is directly below the aircraft.
If the drone is above a point that is not at the same elevation as the launch point .... AGL is not height above launch point .. and that is a very common situation.

Ahhh, yes I see what you are saying here, I was thinking that you meant there were two different altitudes for the drone (AGL and above take off point) from the take off point, assuming it was still on a level area of ground. Of course if you take off from a cliff and climb to 20 ft then go out over the water, your altitude below the drone would be much different than had you stayed above your take off point at the cliff edge.

With that said, are you saying that the drone will display your actual altitude above take off point and then as you fly out to water from the cliff face, the drone will then tell you what you altitude is above the ground AGL, which will of course be different from the take off point altitude noted at the start of the flight?

I did not think the drone did that.

With that said, are you saying that the drone will display your actual altitude above take off point and then as you fly out to water from the cliff face, the drone will then tell you what you altitude is above the ground, which will of course be different from the take off point altitude noted at the start of the flight?
The VPS sensors can do that .. but only up to 10 metres.
After that they show nothing and the only height shown is height above launch point regardless of the AGL height.

@Cymruflyer, at the bottom of DJI GO, you'll see "H" (height above the takeoff point) and "VPS" (height above closest obstacle below the drone). As @Meta4 mentioned above, the VPS height will only be available if the downward sensors can detect an obstacle below the drone.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman