DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude meter accurancy

photo2be

Reactions
Hi,

Do I have a calibration issue when my Mini2 altitude meter are way wrong all the time? Even if I read the EXIF data nmbr in Photoshop. For example it says (minus) -50m when I for sure are more than 40-50m up in the air. Or 2-3m when the Mini is about the altitude of a 10-12 store bildning? What do have to calibrate? I have tried the IMU many times w/o success.

Best from Sweden

Do I have a calibration issue when my Mini2 altitude meter are way wrong all the time?
No ... your drone is normal.

Even if I read the EXIF data nmbr in Photoshop. For example it says (minus) -50m when I for sure are more than 40-50m up in the air. Or 2-3m when the Mini is about the altitude of a 10-12 store bildning? What do have to calibrate? I have tried the IMU many times w/o success.
Your image metadata has two different heights.
If you use a simple metadata viewer, it will only show one ... and it's the wrong one.
Here's an example showing what's really in your metadata if you use a good viewer that can show the XMP section.
i-86h32VK-XL.jpg
Relative Altitude is the height you see on your screen.
It's the height relative to the launch point.

Absolute Altitude is a (very) rough approximation of height above sea level.
But DJI used a flawed formula to calculate height from air pressure.
It doesn't allow for the normal variation in air pressure due to weather and can be out by +/-100 metres or more.

If you use a simple metadata viewer, it will only show one ... and it's the wrong one.
Here's an example showing what's really in your metadata if you use a good viewer that can show the XMP section.
i-86h32VK-XL.jpg

It doesn't allow for the normal variation in air pressure due to weather and can be out by +/-100 metres or more.
Thanx! Is the Metadata "Fileinfo" in Photoshop CS the simple way?

i-86h32VK-XL.jpg

Right? When I look in RAW data I see "exif:GPSAltitude>13543/1000</exif:GPSAltitude>" Is that the correct altitude 135,4m?

Thanx! Is the Metadata "Fileinfo" in Photoshop CS the simple way?
It's a basic metadata viewer and only shows the Absolute Altitude.
Right? When I look in RAW data I see "exif:GPSAltitude>13543/1000</exif:GPSAltitude>" Is that the correct altitude 135,4m?
GPS Altitude is the same as Absolute Altitude (and it doesn't come from GPS).

It's a basic metadata viewer and only shows the Absolute Altitude.

GPS Altitude is the same as Absolute Altitude (and it doesn't come from GPS).
Thanx once more... and what does Absolute Altitude means? And pls what does this info from the Mini2 tells me: exif:GPSAltitude>13543/1000</exif:GPSAltitude>

Thanx once more... and what does Absolute Altitude means? And pls what does this info from the Mini2 tells me: exif:GPSAltitude>13543/1000</exif:GPSAltitude>
Absolute Altitude is the same as GPS Altitude.
I explained what it is in my first post.
It will always be wrong, sometimes by a lot.
Ignore it because it's a nonsense number.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13