DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Zone - Northern Beaches Sydney

MA2NB

Reactions
Hi All,

I am getting a MA2 as a present - Can't wait!!
I have just downloaded the Fly app and have seen that for an area that I really want to fly - Mona Vale Beach Rock Pool - that it is in an Altitude zone. Does anyone know why that would be, or where I can find more information? I am wondering if it could be because of the Palm Beach seaplanes that land on Pittwater, but I would like to know definitively.

Many thanks,
Mark

Its probably the Mona Vale Hospital helipad.

i haven’t seen a helicopter land there for years.

Keep an eye out over the water. Sightseeing, police, emergency and military aircraft are frequently flying low and close to shore. Its not uncommon to see manned aircraft at 200ft.

Yeah right. So its a flightpath thing then?? Do you know where I can look to find out? I've checked the Fly Safe Geo Zone map and nothing on there...

I haven’t used the Fly App- my phantoms and the Mavic 2 use GO4 and I haven’t seen any altitude restricted messages.

I have had no advisory messages flying there.

From my knowledge of the area only thing close is the Hospital Helipad.

I did see that DJI has dropped a blue circle on Palm Beach around the Sea Plane Base. It doesn’t extend anywhere near Mona Vale though.

Airmap and ok2fly are great resources to know if you can fly and both are approved by CASA.
Ok2fly is web based and gives real time info but you need an internet connection.

DJI generally correlates zones to regulatory zones, and sometimes areas that may not explicitly regulated, are potentially high risk.
If there's an altitude zone, there's probably a regulatory match.

If you click on a zone in the DJI map, it will tell you what the reason is.

DJI generally correlates zones to regulatory zones, and sometimes areas that may not explicitly regulated, are potentially high risk.
If there's an altitude zone, there's probably a regulatory match.

If you click on a zone in the DJI map, it will tell you what the reason is.
Nothing is revealed by clicking on the zone subject of this discussion on the DJI map. The OP tried it as did I with the intent of assisting with an answer.

I just checked the geozone map I Fly (click upper left in startup screen), moved map to Sydney, Australia, and can click on a zone where an explanation appears.

Zones in Sydney are for Sydney Airport, with altitude zones for the edges of runway approaches. There's actually two altitude zones back to back with a notch in their intersection.

Northwest of that airport is Bankstown Sydney Airport.

I just checked the geozone map I Fly (click upper left in startup screen), moved map to Sydney, Australia, and can click on a zone where an explanation appears.

Zones in Sydney are for Sydney Airport, with altitude zones for the edges of runway approaches. There's actually two altitude zones back to back with a notch in their intersection.

Thanks Danman but these 2 airports are nowhere near where I am talking about. If you want to see where it is type this GPS into your browser "-33.678354, 151.316376". I am still baffled...

Airmap and ok2fly are great resources to know if you can fly and both are approved by CASA.
Ok2fly is web based and gives real time info but you need an internet connection.
Thanks Geoff. I have looked at ok2fly and the area i want to fly in is within the green circle of Mona Vale Hospital Heliport. Which BTW is basically never used as all emergencies are taken the the new Northern Beaches Hospital at Frenchs Forest. Maybe the occasional transfer of patient happens by chopper. In any case it mentions on that green circle RPA max 120m, so I guess that is the restriction for the "Altitude zone"...

Yes- we know.....

And north is the palm beach sea plane base. Some moron at DJI in the GEO zone department is treating it like an International Airport.

Back to the point. The area the OP is interested in flying has nothing on DJi’s Map.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Geoff. I have looked at ok2fly and the area i want to fly in is within the green circle of Mona Vale Hospital Heliport. Which BTW is basically never used as all emergencies are taken the the new Northern Beaches Hospital at Frenchs Forest. Maybe the occasional transfer of patient happens by chopper. In any case it mentions on that green circle RPA max 120m, so I guess that is the restriction for the "Altitude zone"...
So max 120m is basically the blanket restriction for unrestricted areas.

Have fun!!

You can’t go wrong on any of the northern beaches.

Bangalley is pretty cool. Very interesting light and nice channels in the rock platform. just after sunrise is the go. Hopefully you aren’t geolocked at Palmy now- no seaplanes come in before 8 and you can always call and ask what the flight schedule is anyway. Just be extra cautious flying offshore, especially around Newport reef and Long Reef- some of the aircraft are ridiculously low..... AGL reported for a few I looked up on airman was reported as 200ft.

You can’t go wrong on any of the northern beaches.

Bangalley is pretty cool. Very interesting light and nice channels in the rock platform. just after sunrise is the go. Hopefully you aren’t geolocked at Palmy now- no seaplanes come in before 8 and you can always call and ask what the flight schedule is anyway. Just be extra cautious flying offshore, especially around Newport reef and Long Reef- some of the aircraft are ridiculously low..... AGL reported for a few I looked up on airman was reported as 200ft.
We frequently see them disappear behind the headland between Mona Vale & Bungan - behind, not above. That is my local area so really looking forward to getting out and about with the drone. Are you in the area too?

So MA2NB, what makes you say there's an altitude zone there? There are altitude zones in Sydney, but Palm Beach is authorization zone because of the seaplane port. DJI often adds zones for areas that have risk. A seaplane port would expect very low flying planes from almost any direction at any time so that's why the zone, even though it's not controlled airspace.

120m is just about standard restriction globally. Thats 400ft for us. App default max altitude setting is 120m but can be set to as high as 500m.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird