DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALTITUDE

Legally, 400 feet AGL :)

Because all DJI's consumer drones have a hard-wired altitude limit of 500 metres above launch point.
Service Ceiling is something else altogether.
I'm a long terrm HW/SW guy. I used to program numerically controlled semi-conductor manufacturing equipment 100 years ago, and a wide range of HW/SW combinations since.

What do you mean by "hardwired" in this context? In my world, "hardwired" means a physical hard wire of some kind!

Thx,

TCS

What do you mean by "hardwired" in this context? In my world, "hardwired" means a physical hard wire of some kind!
I mean the 500 metre limit is baked-in to the firmware, with no easy way for it to be modified.
Unlike the Max Altitude Limit (by default set to 400 ft), which is user-configurable to any height up to 500 metres.

Reactions: AZDave
OK, not the original OP's question, but if we are going to talk about ASL, These guys flew up on Everest at over 28,000 feet:

Legally, 400 feet AGL :)
If you have no license, that's correct. If you have a Part 107 certificate, you can fly up to 400 feet above the highest point of a structure that's within 400 feet of your drone.

Wikipedia lists well over a hundred radio towers in the USA where you could legally exceed the DJI-imposed 500m firmware limit if you were flying nearby.

If you have no license, that's correct. If you have a Part 107 certificate, you can fly up to 400 feet above the highest point of a structure that's within 400 feet of your drone.

Wikipedia lists well over a hundred radio towers in the USA where you could legally exceed the DJI-imposed 500m firmware limit if you were flying nearby.
True!

Mini question:
With full battery charge, no wind recorded, how high can the mini fly straight up from takeoff point?
Has anyone tried maxed out altitude?

Just asking.
I did observe a guy fly his at 1643 FT AGL. It was a Mini 2. He was unaware of the rules. It was a new toy to him. He became educated very quickly by several of us who fly in the same massive field.
It was illegal. He did not know it. I'll admit he had some incredible pictures.
But please don't try it. If that drones disrupts a flight, or worse, it is just not worth it.

Mini question:
With full battery charge, no wind recorded, how high can the mini fly straight up from takeoff point?
Has anyone tried maxed out altitude?

Just asking.
my son flew his mini2 up to 14000 feet, starting at 12000 feet. Not the same as starting at sea level, I know, but impressive altitude performance.

my son flew his mini2 up to 14000 feet, starting at 12000 feet. Not the same as starting at sea level, I know, but impressive altitude performance.
And as a responsible pilot, did you educate him on the safety and legalities of doing so. Sound like you supported it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78