DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALTITUDE

360 Guy

Reactions
Mini question:
With full battery charge, no wind recorded, how high can the mini fly straight up from takeoff point?
Has anyone tried maxed out altitude?

Just asking.

Mini 2: Roughly 1,600 feet above the take off point hits a limit that I think is not easily altered. In my opinion flying that high from most conditions would be illegal and unwise. One possible condition would be flying a long a very steeply sloped mountainside from the base towards the peak (to maintain <400’ above ground level). Even then VLOS could be difficult to maintain.

Howard

To see how high you could fly your Mini would be a difficult feat. Absent a canyone, you would need to be within 400 feet of a building like the Sears Tower to legally fly high enough to see. As noted from someone else VLOS would be difficult. It is also important to note that even with strobes on your drone, during the day with decent sun about the max distance a person with 20/20 vision can spot the drone is about 1600 feet.

a legal way to find out would be go to a high altitude location and fly the drone. I regularly fly mine at a density altitude of 5000 ft. and it appears to fly exactly as well as it does at sea level. I've seen video's on this forum of flights near the top of Mt Shasta. 14,000 plus.

a legal way to find out would be go to a high altitude location and fly the drone. I regularly fly mine at a density altitude of 5000 ft. and it appears to fly exactly as well as it does at sea level. I've seen video's on this forum of flights near the top of Mt Shasta. 14,000 plus.
I believe he is talking about AGL, not ASL :)

well maybe I'm confused but if it will fly easily at 5000 ft above sea level why won't it climb to that altitude?
actually I think DJI used to list service ceiling's at about 14000 feet.
I believe he is talking about AGL, not ASL

My house is at about 5000 ft MSL, and my little Mini-2s have PLENTY of climb power.

IIRC, the service ceiling, ignoring regulatory and SW limitations, is about 13,000 ft MSL.

I just got my 107 license a few weeks ago, and there's some inconsistant data floating around the web. I may formulate some questions, and ask my FAA guy. You can apply for waivers for things, but I haven't tried that yet.

TCS

well maybe I'm confused but if it will fly easily at 5000 ft above sea level why won't it climb to that altitude?
Because all DJI's consumer drones have a hard-wired altitude limit of 500 metres above launch point.
Service Ceiling is something else altogether.

Mini question:
With full battery charge, no wind recorded, how high can the mini fly straight up from takeoff point?
Has anyone tried maxed out altitude?

Just asking.
Yep. I have. 399’ in a faster time than it takes to ask: “What did you say the maximum altitude is?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Yep. I have. 399’ in a faster time than it takes to ask: “What did you say the maximum altitude is?
The 400 ft limit can be adjusted by the user and can be set up to the hard-wired max altitude of 500 metres.

Reactions: Howard70
Seems to be a lot of confusion in altitude measuring. In the USA we can not climb above 400 AGL; (Above Ground Level).
MSL: (Mean Sea Level) is totally different than AGL. One can legally fly in the USA at 5000 feet MSL. Denver is above 5000 feet MSL, so you can fly there at 200 feet and be above 5000 feet MSL.
A Phantom 4 Pro flew at over 23,000 feet and was legal...on top of Mt Everest.

Reactions: Galeforce1
They way I read the OP's question, he asked how high above his take off point, meaning the ground where he is at or AGL (above ground level) not what the max possible ASL (above sea level or ceiling) would be. Yes, there are many cases of DJI drones flying over 15,000 feet (ASL!).

Out west, there are many areas where Class G airspace goes to 14,500 AGL. Probably easy to get a waiver there since you can legally depart in instrument conditions without filing an IFR flight plan.

Remember when we take off, for instance, I am already over two thousand feet in elevation. SO......out west think some have flown at 16 thousand feet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke