DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always forgetting to remove the **** gimbal lock

Easily. That's why airline pilots use checklists--every mode of flight, every time. A few years ago, surgeons, taking a lesson from pilots, started using pre-surgery checklists. Surgical errors were reduced significantly.
Absolutely.....and form a routine. Every time, The first thing I do is turn it upside down when removing from the foam of the case. My wrist now just does it from routine. The gimbal is staring me in the face. Checklist is on inside lid of case.

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMoira
I've been reading a few threads about people forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp and I'm just trying to figure out how. Isn't it just part of your regular set up routine? Would you forget to unfold the legs or forget to out the battery in?

Am i missing something here or are people really just not that careful?

People are people.

Reactions: TxArch DroneGuy
Drilled a small hole in the gimbal lock for the rope and some velcro to keep it on top :)
Sent from my SM-G930V using MavicPilots mobile app
I did the exact same thing using the exact same ribbon. Matter of fact it looks like my drone in the pictures. ;)

But...I bought an aluminium carry case on Amazon that hold everything and I don't put the gimbal guard on unless I'm going out of town but I do keep on one of those aftermarket black gimbal protectors with the lens cutout. The gimbal gets more shaking in flight than it ever does moving it inside the case. I just don't throw the case around.

here is my "remove before flight" setup. it cost me less than $.50 and has came in handy several times such as during a firmware update or whenever I need to power on the Mavic Pro but don't intend to fly it.....

Attachments

• Remove befiore flight tab.jpg
    Remove befiore flight tab.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Remove Before Flight 2.jpg
    Remove Before Flight 2.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Remove Before Flight 3.jpg
    Remove Before Flight 3.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: DonLandis
I superglued a length of red ribbon to the gimbal lock after forgetting to take it off too many times. Works like a dream.

I 3d printed out a bright red gimbal lock from thingyverse. I think half the problem is the lock is clear plastic and easily missed. Seems to have helped me not overlook removing the lock.

Interesting! The possibilities of 3D printing are endless. If I may ask, what did your 3D printing setup cost you?

here is my "remove before flight" setup. it cost me less than $.50 and has came in handy several times such as during a firmware update or whenever I need to power on the Mavic Pro but don't intend to fly it.....

I apologize, I might have missed where you obtained the " remove before flight" ribbon from. Any info would be appreciated
Thanks

So here is the thing. I have never forgot to remove the Gimbal lock before and actual flight... But, My Drone sits directly next to my PC on my desk. Because of this is spend constant time just screwing with it..In fact cant keep my hands of the **** thing! LOL...I will from time to time turn on the AC and RC and boot the APP to compare or even edit the settings according to what another has mentioned is the "ULTIMATE CAMERA SETTINGS" or something similar. This is when i will forget the **** Gimbal lock. May be best for me to keep it off. LOL o_O

21722d7eaee754743837228931c33b0d.jpg
484c7dfc03420584fae3ad2f35b6fe5a.jpg

My solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've now seen a couple of photos of people that still have that yellow sticker on above the gimbal. I took mine off when I first got the Mavic, but wondering now if I should have left it on.

I've now seen a couple of photos of people that still have that yellow sticker on above the gimbal. I took mine off when I first got the Mavic, but wondering now if I should have left it on.
it doesn't affect performance either way. It was there during assembly to protect the surface. Some folks think it will act as a buffer to keep the top of it from getting scratched up when doing a gimbal initialization since some units appear to lightly scrape in the process.

Just as and FYI-- those "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" ribbons can also easily be obtained from any hobby shop.. I believe they were very much used in the NITRO phase of RCing..View attachment 10423
That's were I obtained mine anyhow-

My Mavic is still in the post, so consider me an absolute noob. If you don't like those ribbons then maybe just connect the gimble lock to the lens bubble with a piece of elastic. From my reading of these forums, most people remove the lens bubble when flying and if the lock is still attached, it would just dangle beneath the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying