DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I "Drone Policing"?

Airspace waivers are for 107 pilots operating in airspace that is not LAANC participating or if the airspace authorization is to be combined with another waiver which LAANC cannot be used for, generally speaking.

That’s incorrect. You can request authorization through LAANC for heights above what is on the facilities map and they will manually be approved if you are a 107 pilot. The heights on the facilities map is just what is automatically approved. Recreational pilots cannot request approval to fly above the automatically approved heights on the facilities map under any circumstances
LAANC can only approve the current flight level on the sectional charts not above

How and when can drone pilots use LAANC?
Drone pilots planning to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA before they fly.

The LAANC capability is available to pilots operating under the Small UAS Rule Part 107, OR under the exception for Recreational Flyers.

Access to the capability is provided through one of the FAA approved UAS Service Suppliers listed below. There are two ways to use LAANC:

• To receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports. (available to Part 107 Pilots and Recreational Flyers)
  • To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)
To qualify under Part 107, you must register your drone and hold a Remote Pilot Certificate.

Lolololol......yes, compliance and knowledge are two totally separate things. If you have to choose one always stick with knowledge.
If you have knowledge then you would understand compliance SMH

LAANC can only approve the current flight level on the sectional charts not above

How and when can drone pilots use LAANC?
Drone pilots planning to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA before they fly.

The LAANC capability is available to pilots operating under the Small UAS Rule Part 107, OR under the exception for Recreational Flyers.

Access to the capability is provided through one of the FAA approved UAS Service Suppliers listed below. There are two ways to use LAANC:

• To receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports. (available to Part 107 Pilots and Recreational Flyers)
  • To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)
To qualify under Part 107, you must register your drone and hold a Remote Pilot Certificate.
Right you you can’t use LAANC to combine an authorization with a waiver and you’d need a waiver to fly above 400 ft.

I just submitted a LAANC authorization to fly in this are to prove a point

3BDA1198-5499-4709-9944-CFC3F170909F.png

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
If you have knowledge then you would understand compliance SMH

Understanding compliance once again has nothing to do with obeying compliance. Sometimes you have to live on the edge....This guy was far from the edge, but you get the idea.

Good night

To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)
Yes “further coordination requests” through LAANC are only for 107 pilots and if you try to submit an authorization to FAA DroneZone as a recreational pilot you’ll first get this message 7C5DB479-2EB7-4E7B-B872-423070394869.jpeg

Reactions: Recoveryone
And your point being that I was correct!

And your point being that I was correct!
Well maybe maybe not. You said you couldn’t use LAANC to get authorization to fly there, you needed a waiver directly from the FAA.

If you are a 107 pilot you CAN use LAANC to get authorization to fly there. If you are a recreational pilot you CANNOT get a waiver directly from the FAA to fly there.

As a perfect example of the complete lack of education I mentioned earlier.... looking on Facebook a while ago, the local police department re-posted some drone footage taken by a citizen of recent protest march. Nothing untoward there, until you watch the footage and see the pilot flying over a crowd of people and vehicles. Most likely neither the PD or pilot aware of that being not allowed.
Police fly under different rules and are allowed to fly over people in such a situation.

Well maybe maybe not. You said you couldn’t use LAANC to get authorization to fly there, you needed a waiver directly from the FAA.

If you are a 107 pilot you CAN use LAANC to get authorization to fly there. If you are a recreational pilot you CANNOT get a waiver directly from the FAA to fly there.
Partner you are missing a critical point, the flight ceiling is "0" LAANC cannot approve flights above the stated flight limits. You would need a wavier to fly above the flight limits of the area.
"if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)"

Even in your own app it says "The operations exceed the threshold of the pre-approve authorization of the LAS Airport."

Partner you are missing a critical point, the flight ceiling is "0" LAANC cannot approve flights above the stated flight limits. You would need a wavier to fly above the flight limits of the area.
"if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)"
You would still do that through LAANC though. The facilities map only indicates the automatic approval through LAANC . If you try to submit a waiver application for LAS you’ll get this message 5C33794D-1980-4E61-8229-898A7B4B6D69.png

LAANC authorizations even if they are not the automatic variety are not waivers and are much easier process and shorter timeline to get which is the point right?

Reactions: dawgpilot
Please dont turn into drone police there are enough as it is :D
There lies the problem and it is the same problem in many areas of life, If you don't police your own then someone else will. Would you rather be educated by someone within the same community as yourself who in most cases will just advise you, or be legislated, fined or worst have your right to fly completely taken away by others that have no clue or care about your passion/livelihood.

There lies the problem and it is the same problem in many areas of life, If you don't police your own then someone else will. Would you rather be educated by someone within the same community as yourself who in most cases will just advise you, or be legislated, fined or worst have your right to fly completely taken away by others that have no clue or care about your passion/livelihood.

Education is great.

The problem is, that there are always a few, who don't want to educate, but just think that they are the boss of everyone.

Reactions: 1bad
The poster himself claimed he was flying legally because his DJI drone "let him take off without a warning" and called me and others "turds" while telling us to take a hike.
I'm surprised how many people who buy their first autonomous type drone don't have a clue about the rules. This includes many people I know who made their first purchase. If I explain the rules they either accept the information or not. It's their choice. But there are a lot of people that come to this forum and find out there actually are rules, and some of them appreciate the info. I know I did when I first bought a multirotor...and I do still do today.

Hello DJI Mavic Pilots. I'm a member of a local Drone FaceBook group. Recently one of the members posted pictures and videos taken from his drone flying near the new Raider's stadium while visiting Las Vegas, NV (Allegiant Stadium). Knowing Vegas landscape well, I quickly realized that he was flying well inside the very strict no fly airspace of McCarran International Airport. Being a drone enthusiast, I replied to his post with nothing more but friendly/educated intention of letting him know that he should be aware of FAA airspace rules, especially around big airports, and that flying where he was at was not permitted. I recommended checking flight restrictions within apps such as AirMap, DroneBuddy before flying to make sure all was good and legal. I also stated that my only intention was to make him aware that incidents such as this/his, is what gives the drone enthusiasts a black eye, hence why flying drones (legally) is becoming harder and harder to do given FAA is tightening the laws and regulations. That's ALL, really. My post resulted in about 40% of replies claiming I was "policing" (with references to what's going on these days), being called a "troll", however 60% of replies agreed/supported my post. The poster himself claimed he was flying legally because his DJI drone "let him take off without a warning" and called me and others "turds" while telling us to take a hike. The post was eventually taken down by either the poster or administrator. Interested to hear everyone's feedback? (below are the artifacts that I compiled, specifically using one of the pictures posted by the drone operator.)

View attachment 103827
You are doing the right thing, don’t let no one tell you otherwise. I’ve had similar encounters with the same outcome, the post ends up being deleted. We have to “police” each other cause at the end of the day it affects all of us. Sad to see that some people(that 40%) doesn’t see the big picture.

At age 15 I was ready to correct everyone if I knew they were wrong, and often did so. By age 30, I often realized it was best to say little or nothing at all, unless someone was asking for feedback. Now at 43, more often than not I just think to myself "idiot" but let it slide on by...much more peaceful life this way. Occasionally I lack impulse control, and correct someone, or "police" them, call it whatever you wish to, even just "pointing" out their error. You shouldn't worry about it, you pointed it out, now let the people do what they will. Sometimes, leading by being a good example yourself, is better than shouting it from a thousand rooftops. My 2 cents on it, only given, because you asked for input.

Hahaha I like this. I was just like this. Gave my opinion often and freely. Unlike you it took me a lot longer to learn to keep my mouth shut. Sometimes things still slip out and I am 51!!!!

Back on topic I have an Air Force base in my backyard. Get all kinds of interference and lost signals.

Hello DJI Mavic Pilots. I'm a member of a local Drone FaceBook group. Recently one of the members posted pictures and videos taken from his drone flying near the new Raider's stadium while visiting Las Vegas, NV (Allegiant Stadium). Knowing Vegas landscape well, I quickly realized that he was flying well inside the very strict no fly airspace of McCarran International Airport. Being a drone enthusiast, I replied to his post with nothing more but friendly/educated intention of letting him know that he should be aware of FAA airspace rules, especially around big airports, and that flying where he was at was not permitted. I recommended checking flight restrictions within apps such as AirMap, DroneBuddy before flying to make sure all was good and legal. I also stated that my only intention was to make him aware that incidents such as this/his, is what gives the drone enthusiasts a black eye, hence why flying drones (legally) is becoming harder and harder to do given FAA is tightening the laws and regulations. That's ALL, really. My post resulted in about 40% of replies claiming I was "policing" (with references to what's going on these days), being called a "troll", however 60% of replies agreed/supported my post. The poster himself claimed he was flying legally because his DJI drone "let him take off without a warning" and called me and others "turds" while telling us to take a hike. The post was eventually taken down by either the poster or administrator. Interested to hear everyone's feedback? (below are the artifacts that I compiled, specifically using one of the pictures posted by the drone operator.)

View attachment 103827
Sad but i think that is about the right numbers, 6 out of 10 are OK with your intentions. The other 4 are haters and will find imagined faults. Haters got to hate.................

View attachment 103827
I too know that area and airspace pretty well. Retired air traffic controller/FAA here. That location is very much in the Class B airspace which is highly regulated and controlled. Plus that location where the drone is being flown is a highly trafficked helicopter corridor down I-15 which they then break-off and proceed to the airport, which in turn means the helicopters are descending. He easily could've been a threat to the aircraft. Personally I think you did the right thing by calling him out/educating him. You'll never know, but next time he flies maybe he'll think twice about going to certain areas. If it happens again, and I could be part of the "drone policing" debate, but you have his name from his post, as well as where and when he flew. It wouldn't be very hard to report a possible violation to the FAA. Educating the ones out there that don't really have a clue makes it better for the rest of us. If turning in, for lack of a better word, a "rogue" pilot, makes the sport/industry more safe, then so be it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60