DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I "Drone Policing"?

So I will go contrary to this as a free thinking man! Rules are there because people are dumb, lets start there. So the references here in these posts are examples of stupid people which have included the guy fined 20,000 for shutting down Las Vegas airport when his drone landed there. The London example as well is a great example of stupid people.

For this example and what we know from the picture, Is he adding any danger to anybody around him by flying across the top of that stadium, probably not. No plane is flying in that direction as he is perpendicular to runways , or that close to any stadium in the country.

Now to your original post about are you policing....It is no different than on this site when we talk about any subject and it always turns into a VLOS debate, even though we all know everyone on here has ran their drone out of VLOS. My personal opinion is they make that scroll bar on the right so we can keep scrolling if we are not adding value to the conversation that the OP posted about.

Lastly, I seriously doubt that we would be educating someone who spent 1000 dollars on a drone and accessories of where it is legal and illegal to fly. He went there with purpose to get probably some cool videos for his buddies.

Hopefully he does like I do and evaluate true risk, not perceived risk when flying.

Reactions: zlek131
Now days it seems you have to take the indirect approach and let the violator admit to their transgressions. If you would have asked him "how did you get approval to fly so close to the airport". That would have put the onus on him to state his approval. McCarron is a very busy Airport (in normal times) flights come in about every 5 minutes and the stadium is just across the 15 freeway to the north. the landing flight path comes in from the Southwest ending Northeast. Any loss of signal or even just not being aware of your surroundings could but you in that flight path in a heart beat. Those planes come in so low you can see the passengers from the street.

Now days it seems you have to take the indirect approach and let the violator admit to their transgressions. If you would have asked him "how did you get approval to fly so close to the airport". That would have put the onus on him to state his approval. McCarron is a very busy Airport (in normal times) flights come in about every 5 minutes and the stadium is just across the 15 freeway to the north. the landing flight path comes in from the Southwest ending Northeast. Any loss of signal or even just not being aware of your surroundings could but you in that flight path in a heart beat. Those planes come in so low you can see the passengers from the street.

Stadium in no mans land

Attachments

• Mcarran.PNG
    Mcarran.PNG
    254.4 KB · Views: 17
I not here to go tit for tat, here is the Flight map for the area, the Stadium is in a 0 height flight zone, so whoever flys there would need a Wavier (LAANC Would not work) from the FAA directly.

Reactions: zlek131
When people are doing something wrong, but which they are convinced they should be allowed to do, pointing out their error is almost certain get a hostile response.
The reverse also applies: if someone believes the law prohibits something, which in fact it does not, they are just as unlikely to be be persuaded.
Most people would say it is good to try to set others right, but older ones might add it's generally futile.

When people are doing something wrong, but which they are convinced they should be allowed to do, pointing out their error is almost certain get a hostile response.
The reverse also applies: if someone believes the law prohibits something, which in fact it does not, they are just as unlikely to be be persuaded.
Most people would say it is good to try to set others right, but older ones might add it's generally futile.

A.K.A. pick your battles.

I've many times known that I was correct, but just walked away from a topic, and left the other person to be incorrect, on their own, peacefully.

As a perfect example of the complete lack of education I mentioned earlier.... looking on Facebook a while ago, the local police department re-posted some drone footage taken by a citizen of recent protest march. Nothing untoward there, until you watch the footage and see the pilot flying over a crowd of people and vehicles. Most likely neither the PD or pilot aware of that being not allowed.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
As a perfect example of the complete lack of education I mentioned earlier.... looking on Facebook a while ago, the local police department re-posted some drone footage taken by a citizen of recent protest march. Nothing untoward there, until you watch the footage and see the pilot flying over a crowd of people and vehicles. Most likely neither the PD or pilot aware of that being not allowed.
Lol.... or do they probably care. Probably more concerned about taking a bottle to the face....

Oh I'm sure during the protest they have more important things to worry about. My point was that they reposted something that per the FAA is not ok and that the pilot themself is also either not aware of or didn't care.

Lol.... or do they probably care. Probably more concerned about taking a bottle to the face....
Did you still think the Stadium is in a fly zone?????

I'm in agreement you did the right thing. A group I'm in, when someone is caught "policing" they are usually attacked by some. I don't see an issue with pointing it out politely the way you did. It especially sounds like ignorance of the law on his part if his excuse is that his drone allowed him to take off. I'm sure there are new users who have no idea what any of these airspace circles mean and rely on the drone. "If it takes off, it must be OK". Once that point is made and they don't agree, I leave it alone at that point.

Hello DJI Mavic Pilots. I'm a member of a local Drone FaceBook group. Recently one of the members posted pictures and videos taken from his drone flying near the new Raider's stadium while visiting Las Vegas, NV (Allegiant Stadium). Knowing Vegas landscape well, I quickly realized that he was flying well inside the very strict no fly airspace of McCarran International Airport. Being a drone enthusiast, I replied to his post with nothing more but friendly/educated intention of letting him know that he should be aware of FAA airspace rules, especially around big airports, and that flying where he was at was not permitted. I recommended checking flight restrictions within apps such as AirMap, DroneBuddy before flying to make sure all was good and legal. I also stated that my only intention was to make him aware that incidents such as this/his, is what gives the drone enthusiasts a black eye, hence why flying drones (legally) is becoming harder and harder to do given FAA is tightening the laws and regulations. That's ALL, really. My post resulted in about 40% of replies claiming I was "policing" (with references to what's going on these days), being called a "troll", however 60% of replies agreed/supported my post. The poster himself claimed he was flying legally because his DJI drone "let him take off without a warning" and called me and others "turds" while telling us to take a hike. The post was eventually taken down by either the poster or administrator. Interested to hear everyone's feedback? (below are the artifacts that I compiled, specifically using one of the pictures posted by the drone operator.)

View attachment 103827
Edmund Burke — ‘All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.’
Not saying this guy is evil, but the sentiment is true.

Edmund Burke — ‘All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing.’
Not saying this guy is evil, but the sentiment is true.
But remember that you will likely make a few enemies along the way. If you are cool with that, then awesome!

I told my sister that her husband was cheating on her, we haven't said 30 words to each other since. I don't even consider her family anymore, she blamed me for his affairs, because she liked living in ignorance, and didn't want to know. That is just one example, I have more if needed.

But remember that you will likely make a few enemies along the way. If you are cool with that, then awesome!

I told my sister that her husband was cheating on her, we haven't said 30 words to each other since. I don't even consider her family anymore, she blamed me for his affairs, because she liked living in ignorance, and didn't want to know. That is just one example, I have more if needed.

That's very sad.

That's very sad.

It truly is, but I learned a good lesson, it is sometimes best to STFU. It has been 16 or 17 years, so very unlikely that we will ever be family again. Saw her at a family reunion in 2014, I said hello, she wouldn't even acknowledge me with a simple hello back.

Reactions: sar104
Did you still think the Stadium is in a fly zone?????
Are you asking me if I would fly there? If after I walked the area and I have perceived no REAL risks, including direct air traffic. Drone would be off the ground so fast it would make your head spin. However, with that being said I was not there or no what the sky looks like exactly where he was flying. By arm chair quarter backing with everyone else, I would imagine hes pretty safe unless hes 100s of feet above that Stadium.

Are you asking me if I would fly there? If after I walked the area and I have perceived no REAL risks, including direct air traffic. Drone would be off the ground so fast it would make your head spin.
No, I am asking if you understand that the Stadium is in a no fly zone unless you get a wavier from the FAA

No, I am asking if you understand that the Stadium is in a no fly zone unless you get a wavier from the FAA
Lolololol......yes, compliance and knowledge are two totally separate things. If you have to choose one always stick with knowledge.

I not here to go tit for tat, here is the Flight map for the area, the Stadium is in a 0 height flight zone, so whoever flys there would need a Wavier (LAANC Would not work) from the FAA directly.

That’s incorrect. You can request authorization through LAANC for heights above what is on the facilities map and they will manually be approved if you are a 107 pilot. The heights on the facilities map is just what is automatically approved. Recreational pilots cannot request approval to fly above the automatically approved heights on the facilities map under any circumstances

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS