DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazon Fire 8 hd & DJI Fly

AlgebraMan

Reactions
I will be getting a Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet for the holiday. The only real use I would have is if I could use it to fly my MM. Having a hard time determining if it should be compatible. Posts are all over the place on what works. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried.

I was able to connect my Fire 8 HD to my Mavic Air. You have to download the install packages for Google Play, install Google Play, then get the DJI app from Google Play Store. Follow the instructions carefully as the multiple install packages MUST be installed in order, otherwise uninstall all and start all over. It would have been simple if we could just download the DJI install files and install locally. You can search for install instructions. I used these instructions:

You will also need to get some kind of holder for the tablet as it does not fit my controller. Amazon has dozens to choose from. Avoid a mount that blocks the antenna. Get a holder that positions the tablet above the controller, or in front and above/below the antennas. Note: Most come with a strap that mounts to the bottom of the controller (near your belly, not underneath) which helps hold everything up, but you have to keep it level yourself. Of course, you need to memorize all the controller controls if the table is above as they tablet will hide them.

Be sure to turn off all apps, including Alexa so they will not pop up during flights.

What is everybody else using for a mount to use a larger tablet format?

Reactions: AlgebraMan
I was able to connect my Fire 8 HD to my Mavic Air. You have to download the install packages for Google Play, install Google Play, then get the DJI app from Google Play Store. Follow the instructions carefully as the multiple install packages MUST be installed in order, otherwise uninstall all and start all over. It would have been simple if we could just download the DJI install files and install locally. You can search for install instructions. I used these instructions:

You will also need to get some kind of holder for the tablet as it does not fit my controller. Amazon has dozens to choose from. Avoid a mount that blocks the antenna. Get a holder that positions the tablet above the controller, or in front and above/below the antennas. Note: Most come with a strap that mounts to the bottom of the controller (near your belly, not underneath) which helps hold everything up, but you have to keep it level yourself. Of course, you need to memorize all the controller controls if the table is above as they tablet will hide them.

Be sure to turn off all apps, including Alexa so they will not pop up during flights.

Thanks so much. This is a big step. I just hope the DJI Fly will cooperate.

Hi boback,
I use a tablet holder for the tablet.
I'd like to ask what version or generation of the fire HD 8 tablet that you have successfully install and run dji go 4?

In my Fire hd8 7th Generation/ 2017, I couldnt make the 4.3.25 load for the first time, where it usually proceeds to download the additional files. I could only install an older version 4.3.24

I will be getting a Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet for the holiday. The only real use I would have is if I could use it to fly my MM. Having a hard time determining if it should be compatible. Posts are all over the place on what works. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has tried.
I was able to load the Google Play store with a lot of scary downloads but that worked. However, the DJI Fly app is not there. The Go 4 app is, so it works on my Mavic Air 1 and I could also get the Autel app for my Evo II Pro but nothing else. Bummed.

As far as I know the Fire tablets use a 32 bit version of Android so cannot use the Fly app with the MM. Can't get it to work on my 10" HD Fire Tablet.

Yes, my Fire 8 does not have a new enough OS for this app. It is the most up to date that it will allow. I think they stop making devices more advanced so you will have to upgrade way before the device dies.

I think they stop making devices more advanced so you will have to upgrade way before the device dies.

Not sure if that’s they case. Fire tablets are great budget tablets but they’re not designed to officially load apps from anywhere other than the Amazon App Store (even if it may be possible to hack the device do so in some circumstances). The Fly app is not available from the Amazon store.

Not sure if that’s they case. Fire tablets are great budget tablets but they’re not designed to officially load apps from anywhere other than the Amazon App Store (even if it may be possible to hack the device do so in some circumstances). The Fly app is not available from the Amazon store.
Right, that is why I side loaded the Google Play Store on it. Fire works great for Go 4 app.
I just need something with a capacity for a newer OS.

Reactions: rapberry
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada