DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android or Apple?

Geeforce

Reactions
At the moment I am using my Samsung S10e with the mini 2. Works fine. But I think I prefer a larger screen, I think, as I am not able to test it. Maybe other users can say something about it?

So I am think between these 2: Apple iPad mini 5 or a Samsung S6 lite. Besides the price, what are cons and pros?
I read somewhere, the Fly app, or even DJI would be a bit better on Apple......

Thanks....

At the moment I am using my Samsung S10e with the mini 2. Works fine. But I think I prefer a larger screen, I think, as I am not able to test it. Maybe other users can say something about it?

So I am think between these 2: Apple iPad mini 5 or a Samsung S6 lite. Besides the price, what are cons and pros?

Thanks....
The daily/weekly post answered again :p Apple if you have the money and want no issues, this coming from a die hard Android/Windows user for everything else ...except DJI products ;)

Last edited:

Hey, I'm using an S10e myself...

One specific difference is that, on the Android devices, the controller always charges the android, whether it needs it or not. With Apple devices, this can be user-controlled, in my understanding.

The battery life of the controller is shortened somewhat if it's always forced to charge the phone, so this is a point in favor of choosing the Apple. It's probably less of a point with your MM2 than it is on my original MM, since the MM's controller has less battery capacity to begin with.

Reactions: Geeforce
That's a common myth.

The app works equally well on either operating system.
What matters is that the device has a fast, modern processor and enough RAM.
And for DJI Fly, it has to be a 64 bit device.
Use whichever you are comfortable with.

I just read about the iPad mini 6 ,which will be released March. I know we can not test and look into the future, but would it be wise to wait and buy the new model, instead of the 5? Screen will be a bit bigger, newer CPU, looks good to me. But I hope it will work with Fly app.... I guess all we can do is wait.

I have a Samsung 6S lite.
I understand that all Ipads are compatible but not all Android tablets are. Some do not run the 64 bit version of Android and so won't work. Many do not have an inbuilt compass so even though they will run FLY they are not 100% compatible. My Samsung S6 lite does NOT have an inbuilt compass.

Then there are differences in the app for some models of Mavic. On the MA2, the iOS version has hyperlapse cruise control and the Android version of the app doesn't have that yet. There was one other difference that escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will be along to fill in the blank. Mini 2-wise, I think either OS works the same.

Then there are differences in the app for some models of Mavic. On the MA2, the iOS version has hyperlapse cruise control and the Android version of the app doesn't have that yet. There was one other difference that escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone will be along to fill in the blank. Mini 2-wise, I think either OS works the same.
Hyperlaspse cruise control is already available for android in Fly App 1.2.4

I just read about the iPad mini 6 ,which will be released March. I know we can not test and look into the future, but would it be wise to wait and buy the new model, instead of the 5? Screen will be a bit bigger, newer CPU, looks good to me. But I hope it will work with Fly app.... I guess all we can do is wait.
That is a given, anything Apple updates works, as Apple is a proprietary system iOS. So that is a great reason why Apple is a more preferred platform by many. I am a Android fan and user (Apple for DJI only), but let's face it there is probably more than 1000 different Android OS variations floating around out there, yet Apple has basically one that is updated and not modified by different models of phones and tablets across different carriers (At least in US). Apple may update the iOS and stall functionality by doing so, but then DJI or Apple only have to focus on what is causing that issue once...not so with Android and the varying skins applied to modify Android for their products by carriers who might have 10-15 releases of Android among them for phones they distribute.

This video is old and before the Fly App, but it explains in laymen terms the whole situation with Android phones/tablets and the Fly App only makes this worse.

BTW Saying you know anything about Apple and it's product releases is like saying you know anything about DJI releases.... Everything is speculation until it is released.....or subjective guesses :) The march release date is based solely on when the mini 5 came out last year. Not very smart considering there is no trend as the Mini 4 was released September 9, 2015. Those websites are fishing for hits for revenue. ;)

Last edited:
TBH which ever one you are used to. Only thing that Apple has over Android as far as flying your drone is that you can't completly turn off the controller charging the the device. But thats never been an issue even once in my 2, 000 plus flight hours. Just need to turn off "Fast charging" in settings and you'll get atleast 5 drone batteries out of the Remote. Not many fly 2 1/2 hours straight. With that being said I prefere Android. Almost everything about Android is customizable and almost nothing with Apple is customizable. Only reason people have issues and with androids coming over from Apple is that there's too many choices and too many things they try to customize all at once and they get too overwhelmed very easy and give up on it cuz Apple likes to be in control so they don't allow but so many customizable settings. Thats what I don't like about Apple. Every phone set up is just like the last one and everyone that uses Apple products is exactly the same as everyone else's. Boring and too simplified if you ask me. Broaden your device experience. Just don't try to do too many changes at once and you'll be ok, plus you'll have a device thats more personalized to you as an individual. Thats my take on the whole Apple vs Android argument.
#SendIt# ✌ #PeaceOut ✌

This thread is not Apple vs Android.
The problem is as stated above by @Repaid1 who notes the modifications allowed to be done by any device builders to the Android OS platform. This creates multiple inconveniences to drone operators.

This thread is not Apple vs Android.
The problem is as stated above by @Repaid1 who notes the modifications allowed to be done by any device builders to the Android OS platform. This creates multiple inconveniences to drone operators.
I didnt have any delusions of this post being about Apple vs Android. I started a chill statement and it grew... it happens lol

Reactions: Thomas B

Thanks....
How many speakers does the IPad have and which screen is brighter in the bright afternoon sunlight is the 2 things that are a must for me. My Tab S5e has four speakers and is twice as bright as cheaper tablets in pretty sure I couldnt like another Tablet any better

Have been using an ipad mini 4 with my mavic pro and go4 app for ages. Real good match. I recently purchased a mini 2 and downloaded the go fly app on the mini 4.... absolute trouble, cache warnings, will not download video. Gimble skips, lag. Jeez what a nightmare.
So not sure whether to upgrade my old samsung s9 which works bril with both apps and get a note 10 plus just for the size or an ipad mini 5. I do prefer Samsung to Apple. Will be checking ebay etc closely this week

Oh..... here we go again.

Apples or Oranges..... I mean Android.

I did not know that "Samsung S6 lite does NOT have an inbuilt compass." Thanks for point that out jarnie.

That's a common myth.

The app works equally well on either operating system.
What matters is that the device has a fast, modern processor and enough RAM.
And for DJI Fly, it has to be a 64 bit device.
Use whichever you are comfortable with.
Ive had no issues with my Note 10+

Have been using an ipad mini 4 with my mavic pro and go4 app for ages. Real good match. I recently purchased a mini 2 and downloaded the go fly app on the mini 4.... absolute trouble, cache warnings, will not download video. Gimble skips, lag. Jeez what a nightmare.
So not sure whether to upgrade my old samsung s9 which works bril with both apps and get a note 10 plus just for the size or an ipad mini 5. I do prefer Samsung to Apple. Will be checking ebay etc closely this week
I used Note 10+ for 2 years, now using Androoids Samsung tab S5e and ive never had any of those problems. Maybe there's a problem with the one phone

Thanks....
I use and like the Ipad Mini 5 with 4G, good size but not too big and most apps, GPS maps, etc are compatible. I also use the Litchi App which supports Ipad

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan