DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android USB Charging disable?

I don't know if this is due to a firmware update, but my Huawei P10 Plus Android phone (stock-standard with no rooting!), has recently started popping an option screen when I plug in the cable to connect it to the RC Controller (I'm using the USB-A connector in the base). When I open DJI Go4 and plug in my controller - a half-screen pop-up gives me three "Use USB for" options as a separate window overlaying the Go4 app. These options are:
Transfer Photos
Transfer Files
Charge only

'Charge only' is the default - but If I select 'Transfer Files' - then the phone just doesn't charge the controller ... Simple as that!

Not 100% sure why that appears, except that when I look at Settings / System / Developer Options ... I have - 'Always prompt when connecting to USB' - selected to ON, in the 'DEBUGGING' section. I guess this must be it, because when I turn that switch off, I no longer get the pop-up!

My Huawei m5 on 9.0.1 still keeps defaulting to charge phone so still a Android piece of crap stick to IOS Thanks

My Huawei m5 on 9.0.1 still keeps defaulting to charge phone so still a Android piece of crap stick to IOS Thanks
Don't you have the developer options available in settings on the M5??

I'm surprised the Chinese have not come up with an affordable data only cable----USB A on one end and micro usb/usb c/lightning connector on the other.

Some systems want to see power on the cable before they'll use USB data.
I'm sure you're right re: some systems, but I don't think the Mavics are one of them. There's enough folks who have snipped a wire or two in a standard cable and thereby eliminated the charge function.

When you plug your controller in you should get an option in the pull down menu at the top of screen.
Pick MIDI and you're all set to go.
You don't need to change cables.
There are many phones that when plugged into the Mavic controller the phone auto switches back to charging.
Its super annoying. The frustrating part is that I know there is an option within the OS to disable it. I found it and was able to do it on a Note 5 but needed root.
Many phones now a days cannot be rooted (mainly US Samsung phones). Its odd cuz actually the Sprint Samsung phones actually have a service menu that allows it to be disabled but other carriers dont.
Ugggg!

so, pixel 2 and samsung s7 both always keep charging no matter what usb dev options are set for usb. will see if i have any old iphone in the locker.

so, pixel 2 and samsung s7 both always keep charging no matter what usb dev options are set for usb. will see if i have any old iphone in the locker.
Actually that's true for all Androids. Some manufacturers may have included a setting in theirs to disable, since they have access to root during development.

People get confused about "Charge Only" USB setting. DJI uses a special USB mode that's app specific. That mode isn't in the USB mode list so Charge Only is used, as in "none of the below"

Reactions: Lifeisfun
There are many phones that when plugged into the Mavic controller the phone auto switches back to charging.
Its super annoying. The frustrating part is that I know there is an option within the OS to disable it. I found it and was able to do it on a Note 5 but needed root.
Many phones now a days cannot be rooted (mainly US Samsung phones). Its odd cuz actually the Sprint Samsung phones actually have a service menu that allows it to be disabled but other carriers dont.
Ugggg!
Yup, got Note 8 but the Snapdragon variant and it's not rootable :(
The charging issue drives me crazy

When you Google android disable charging, this is the top result, so forgive me for signing up and raising this thread from the dead, as according to Google, it is the most relevant result for this type of query. It makes more sense to update the top google result than it does to start a new thread that hasn't been indexed.

I was able to disable charging on android by rooting my phone using a guide on the xda developers website. It's different for every phone, but I can tell you that Motorola in particular make it VERY easy to root their phones. They have step-by-step instructions and tools on their own website (with the disclaimer that you're voiding your warranty and are responsible for all damages, of course).

Once rooted, there are several programs that prevent battery charging. The one I use is Charge Control. It just has a setting where you can tell it to never charge when the phone is above a certain number, and to stop charging when it hits a maximum value (doesn't have to be 100%).

After rooting, my remote controller went from less than an hour of use to all day functioning.

Android requires a 500mA power connection in order to accept any peripherals plugged into the phone, so cutting the red wire on a data cable will not work. But at least with Charge Control, you send ONLY 500mA, and nothing extra, so your remote controller will last much longer. For a 4000 mAh battery, it can support the 500 mA connection for 8 hours (obviously it will be less because your controller is doing other things as well). According to the Charge Control app, when allowing the controller to charge my phone, even to keep it from dropping to 99%, it was using 5-6 times that amount!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I posted an alternative method to stop charging over USB in DJI thread using only Magisk (root) and a Magisk module:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada