DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying Wind Warnings

That’s why we have options to suit what different people want. There are options to turn off the obstacle avoidance so why not the wind warnings? I’m referring to the red warnings by the way. The yellow more stronger warnings are much less frequent and do require extra care to be taken. Even so, when I get these I am already aware there is a stiff wind blowing.

If I crash or lose my drone because of high wind I would not blame the machine or anyone but myself. Wind warnings or not.
It’s not hard to disable the warnings, just do it

g_config_air_est_big_wind_level1 = 10
g_config_air_est_big_wind_level2 = 15
Done

Reactions: genesimmons
No I don't because some things you cannot detect yourself. Why are you asking that when we are discussing something like wind warnings which have so many obvious clues to it's presence, especially when flying a drone?
Use your senses bud. You can hear wind blowing, feel it, see things blowing in the distance, see trees swaying, over water you can see the water being affected by it. White caps form when there is a strong wind. Clouds move faster. And one important thing is a drone gets moved around by it. It's speed is different in different directions. You can clearly see all these things when flying.

Use your common sense rather than be oblivious to your surroundings and rely on a computer to tell you something you should already notice for yourself.

If your wind warning alerts failed for some reason and you lost your drone in high wind, you would be one of the people that would blame the drone.

That's if you fly treetop height. You obviously don't realise that winds up high are much stronger than what you can feel, hear or see.

Reactions: Classic flyer
That's if you fly treetop height. You obviously don't realise that winds up high are much stronger than what you can feel, hear or see.

You obviously haven’t read the whole thread. It’s common knowledge that wind is generally stronger, higher from ground level. As drone flyers we should know that.

Don’t you think those same tree tops would be blowing around and giving off sound if it was windy above them? Do you really think they would be still, but it’s blowing high wind up higher? (up to 120m) come on mate.
Then again, maybe someone went and put an invisible wall in the sky just to block for you.
I think there would be a very good indication of high wind up higher.

So there is a MASSIVE gale blowing above some tall trees or buildings. You reckon you would have no clue until you just fly up above there and wait until you get a “wind warning” from the Mavic?
Good luck. Warnings or not, as soon as you go up there your drone is gone.
You would be another candidate for blaming the drone if you lost it due to high wind.

Come one guys. It’s been like 3 days and no one has convinced Mr Grizzo to change his opinion. I don’t think anyone will. Obviously he has some uncanny ability to tell the wind speed at different altitudes. Perhaps his ego does stretch out that high into the atmosphere that it gets buffeted by the wind.
Us mere mortals will just have to use apps or check weather forecast and fly with caution when the high wind warning pops up on DJI Go 4.
I think I am just going to unfollow this thread, cos it’s not getting anywhere. Stay safe, both on the ground and in the air.

Come one guys. It’s been like 3 days and no one has convinced Mr Grizzo to change his opinion. I don’t think anyone will. Obviously he has some uncanny ability to tell the wind speed at different altitudes. Perhaps his ego does stretch out that high into the atmosphere that it gets buffeted by the wind.
Us mere mortals will just have to use apps or check weather forecast and fly with caution when the high wind warning pops up on DJI Go 4.
I think I am just going to unfollow this thread, cos it’s not getting anywhere. Stay safe, both on the ground and in the air.
I agree...be safe fly safe bro

Hold on mate. I said I use apps, forecasts and my own observations. You are the one saying you rely on the Mavic to tell you of dangerous wind, which means you are already in it.

Answer this then- There is a MASSIVE gale blowing above some tall trees, buildings or just high altitude. Strong enough to cause you to lose your drone in it.
You reckon you would have no clue until you just fly up above there and wait until you get a “wind warning” from the Mavic?

Hold on mate. I said I use apps, forecasts and my own observations. You are the one saying you rely on the Mavic to tell you of dangerous wind, which means you are already in it.

Answer this then- There is a MASSIVE gale blowing above some tall trees, buildings or just high altitude. Strong enough to cause you to lose your drone in it.
You reckon you would have no clue until you just fly up above there and wait until you get a “wind warning” from the Mavic?
Woah. Now you are accusing of losing my drone due to high wind? No, I've never lost my drone, and definitely not with high wind. My warning limit is 36kph gust @ 30m on UAVForcast, so I fly when it's beyond that. I've flown with estimated wind gust 36kph, and when I upload flight data to airdata, the inflight calculated wind gust was 43kph. There are people who fly in open space, so no tall trees to guess wind gust. And if it's in midday, you can get thermals is certain spots, which changes the localised wind. So wind warning is a good thing. Like I said, it's not about you. DJI shouldn't need to change the app just for you.

Woah. Now you are accusing of losing my drone due to high wind?

No I wasn't. Calm down bud. I was explaining that you rely on the Mavic to tell you when there is high wind, which means by the time it tells you, you would be already in the dangerous situation.

I am in the process of trying to change the wind warnings in assistant. What we are discussing here is I chose not to rely on the Mavic to tell me of cautious wind because it is annoying, and instead rather use common sense, be aware of my surroundings and use live apps and forecasts if I think I need them in the area I'm flying in. Your argument is that this is not good enough and in my opinion it is.

I just finished reading this entire thread and have to admit that I found it to be a total waste of time. It wasn't even a question, but merely a statement from the OP about being annoyed by the system working as designed.

I suggest that he turn off the offending feature, and just fly however he likes. I'll look forward to his eventual post about losing his craft out to sea, or far off in the forest, etc. As if he would come back and admit failure. LOL

Moderator: This thread serves little purpose and might as well be closed.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
My initial reaction has been to move out of the windy area by going forward and down that way you have the power of gravity and inertia to push through gusts.

My initial reaction has been to start move out of that area by flying forward and down so you have gravity and inertia to help push through gusts.

No I don't because some things you cannot detect yourself. Why are you asking that when we are discussing something like wind warnings which have so many obvious clues to it's presence, especially when flying a drone?
Use your senses bud. You can hear wind blowing, feel it, see things blowing in the distance, see trees swaying, over water you can see the water being affected by it. White caps form when there is a strong wind. Clouds move faster. And one important thing is a drone gets moved around by it. It's speed is different in different directions. You can clearly see all these things when flying.

Use your common sense rather than be oblivious to your surroundings and rely on a computer to tell you something you should already notice for yourself.

If your wind warning alerts failed for some reason and you lost your drone in high wind, you would be one of the people that would blame the drone.

Grizzo, I understand what you are saying from your first word to last. I tend to think im the only one.. See, I'm different... when i read your original post, i though it would be nice to have that option. But, i would keep it on. But that as a option...good idea...

Reactions: Grizzo
Guess I'm one of the lucky owners that don't see excessive warnings calm conditions and am not bothered seeing them in light wind. The warning banner is so small on my CS-UB monitor it's no big deal. Perhaps on a little phone screen??? The alarms seem to be quite accurate. Not gonna argue about turning the alarm off or on if it can be done. I fly with 2 to 3 other Mavic pilots at the same spot and we all get similar warnings at different times but ignore the banner if it's light wind. In other words we expect it. In one case my Mavic detected excessive winds and it was correct. Brought it back in sports mode and made a difficult landing as the wind shear caught up with me. Went from light breeze to 30MPH+ winds in less than a couple minutes.

Why on earth don't you just edit the wind warning parameters and you will have them never again.

Why on earth don't you just edit the wind warning parameters and you will have them never again.

do what this guy says and be done with it, u can turn the warnings to as sensative or not sensative as u want, theres a new dronebreak app that will do everytghing for u with the click of a mouse for 20 bucks u can change the wind sensitivity to what ever u choose, will be the best 20 u ever spent

Thanks masa
As more avid user how to do that ? I am amazed at all the opinions. Isn’t the question simple . It’s not asking reasons for why it’s there or caring about losing a drone , it’s a technical question about how to set off wind notifications and if this can be done. Reasons are irrelevant , consequences are irrelevant , just a question can notifications be turned of or can sensitivity and less notifications pop up .

So now as a basic n user I appreciate Masas answer and hope to understand more how to do that and where to find possible documentation as to what it does

Thanks masa
As more avid user how to do that ? I am amazed at all the opinions. Isn’t the question simple . It’s not asking reasons for why it’s there or caring about losing a drone , it’s a technical question about how to set off wind notifications and if this can be done. Reasons are irrelevant , consequences are irrelevant , just a question can notifications be turned of or can sensitivity and less notifications pop up .

So now as a basic n user I appreciate Masas answer and hope to understand more how to do that and where to find possible documentation as to what it does
it involves rolling your firmware back and then modifying the parameters via dji assistant, some birds need more to it like installing a sd card inside it,and some platinum models dont seem to take the rollbacks very well, the app i mentioined makes the process less painful but if u insist on doing it your self grab a coffe or 2 and theres a ton of good info on the net and utube

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13