DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another drone threat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never seen it before but good to know.

don't know if this particular issue was already shared here in this forum - I just saw it now and thought I could share it here.

Haven't watched the video yet, but from the title, I think it's unlikely that anyone would have sufficient aim to hit a drone out of the sky with a rock. Might be possible with a lucky shot, but if I see someone throwing rocks, I'm taking it up higher. Besides, if you're within VLOS, it should be fairly easy to address the situation. Anyway, let me watch this video.

Legal considerations of flights over or near uninvolved people aside but with uninvolved pedestrians on the bridge I would have moved the drone away, permanently, as soon as I saw them.
That aside, the footage is so chopped up into segments, I for one, cannot really follow the flight path.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so unfortunate that there are people out there like that. No need for a confrontation like that. More than likely, they were up to no good before you got close including the throwing of rocks.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
While I do not condone tryin to destroy a UAS "just because" I do think that if the operator is flying the UAS close enough for someone to hit it with a hand thrown rock, you're too close and just not being a decent person to begin with. You should respect their desire to enjoy the scenery without the noise, disruption, and aggravation of the UAS. Worse case, wait till they are gone or coordinate with them a time frame.

Reactions: frank candor
My only comment will be. If I see law enforcement and you fly the drone close to them is an invitation for trouble even if you have a permit to fly there.

Reactions: BigAl07
Let's all keep in mind that the OP is NO the creator of this video per their own statement.

I would have asked the "Law Enforcement Officer" for his ID and I would have been recording the event. I seriously doubt they had ANY authority in any capacity. My actions going forward would have depended on how that went down. I would not advise simply leaving the scene like that unless no ID could be given and you felt in danger of your life. At that point I would already be on the phone with 9-1-1.

Sounds like the guy was impersonating an officer, or coming very close to it. I do think rule #1 is don't escalate the situation, but I might have grabbed a cell phone pic of the guy's license plate if possible before pretending to erase the photos.

Reactions: voyt56
Let's all keep in mind that the OP is NO the creator of this video per their own statement.

I would have asked the "Law Enforcement Officer" for his ID and I would have been recording the event. I seriously doubt they had ANY authority in any capacity. My actions going forward would have depended on how that went down. I would not advise simply leaving the scene like that unless no ID could be given and you felt in danger of your life. At that point I would already be on the phone with 9-1-1.
I agree. I'm 99.9% certain the guy wasn't a LEO. I'd be on the phone with 911 as soon as the handcuff remark was uttered (maybe before). If those handcuffs came anywhere near me I would consider that attempted false imprisonment and LEGITIMATELY be in fear for my life or grave bodily harm. I'll leave it to your imagination of what might come next.

don't know if this particular issue was already shared here in this forum - I just saw it now and thought I could share it here.

mmm...not too sure how I would have handle this.

all is well. everyone is safe and home.

Legal considerations of flights over or near uninvolved people aside but with uninvolved pedestrians on the bridge I would have moved the drone away, permanently, as soon as I saw them.
That aside, the footage is so chopped up into segments, I for one, cannot really follow the flight path.
I don't see any legal considerations. He was not OVER the people or in any real proximity. They were also NOT cops. Cops don't act that way. Just morons...and probably up to no good.

My only comment will be. If I see law enforcement and you fly the drone close to them is an invitation for trouble even if you have a permit to fly there.
Absolutely NO proof that the guy who confronted him or any of them were LEO. The guy told him to run....that does not sound like something a cop would say.

Reactions: Greatbonsai
I don't see any legal considerations. He was not OVER the people or in any real proximity. They were also NOT cops. Cops don't act that way. Just morons...and probably up to no good.
other juridictions have "near people" constraints and since this is an international forum not all readers are subject to FAA rules or 'non-rules'.

They do?! Now that sounds like a recipe for trouble.

I am a lifetime concealed carry holder and was a Federal Firearms Dealer for many years. I carry in many places I go, especially if I am alone in an area where there could be bad guys. There is nothing wrong with carrying a firearm for protection, no matter how you enjoy life. There are over 21 million people in the United States who have carry permits. (fixed it for ya, BigAl07)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet