DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another hello from SEPA.

What are crop marks? Thanks!
A picture speaks a thousand words, so.... The semi-hexagonal feature is the cropmark of a medieval moat. The second picture is what was underneath part of it. The third picture shows the cropmark of a Roman castellum, or marching fort that was under the turf on the same piece of land. I've had to dumb-down the resolution to get these to upload. The cropmark of the moat can be clearly seen in all three pictures. Old Man Mavic gave a good, concise definition. Cropmarks are very difficult to spot from ground level - you might see slight dips and rises but that is all. The best time to shoot a landscape if you're looking for traces of previous occupation are at the Golden Hours - that's when you've got lots of harsh, oblique light that really throws these features into stark relief.cropmark.jpg03.07.22 - north arrow #1.jpgRoman archaeology.jpg

Last edited:
@Daycrawler if you are flying over say a meadow ,then crop marks are unusual patterns in the density and therefore the colour, of the ground beneath where you are flying
these can either be darker ,because of there being a previously excavated ditch or wall foundation ,or if the areas are lighter than the surroundings, that can show that there is something just below the surface ,which is impeding root growth affecting crop density
Good reply. Concise.

Daycrawler here from Southeast PA. living the 19512. I have my TRUST license and fly an Air2 S. My constant reading and youtubing led me to pick the Air2 S. So far it has done everything I have asked of it. I mainly just want to take pictures and videos for fun. Since I like metal detecting the drone just might help me scout the woods for foundations, roofs, walls and flowers. Other than that, I am just having fun flying over the farm fields and woods behind my house for now.

I do have some questions, but I'll search the forum for answers first and see what I can find.
Welcome to the forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR