DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another incident for the FAA.

Greg Smithski

Reactions
Fortunately it wasn't a drone. I guess the police can use helicopters for crowd control. With all the negative press hobbyists get it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot for once. Maybe the next time the local police tried to issue you a ticket under some local illegal law you could show them this video.

Pennsylvania State Police helicopter.

Fortunately it wasn't a drone. I guess the police can use helicopters for crowd control. With all the negative press hobbyists get it's nice to see the shoe on the other foot for once. Maybe the next time the local police tried to issue you a ticket under some local illegal law you could show them this video.

Pennsylvania State Police helicopter.

Well someone is about to have his license revoked, there is no way that can not be considered safe flight

Well someone is about to have his license revoked, there is no way that can not be considered safe flight

How long would a pilot loses his license for this? A year, forever? Thank God they didn't do this with a 3 pound drone. That would have been really dangerous.

Reactions: Mavic-Markie93
I was amazed how irresponsible that police copter pilot was coming that low over a crowd of people, he should lose his licence to fly it does bear thinking about if the debris he kicked up damaged the tail rotor, causing it the crash into the crowd.

I was not able to use the link provided to view it said due to my location it was not allowed, but youtube came to the rescue I must assume I found the right video link, please correct me if I'm wrong.

A few things - I saw the news clip, the helicopter was low and then pulled up when debris started kicking up. The chances of the tail rotor being damaged in this situation is minimal (I worked on UH-1s, A-Stars and jet Rangers)

Police helicopters are operated as "Pubic Use" aircraft and in many cases are not subject to FAA oversight. This is what the FAA says about public use operations:

Statutory Criteria. PAO are limited by the statute to certain government operations within U.S. airspace. Although these operations must continue to comply with certain general operating rules, including those applicable to all aircraft in the National Airspace System (NAS), other civil certification and safety oversight regulations do not apply to these operations. Accordingly, most aspects of PAO are not subject to FAA oversight.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_00-1_1A.pdf

Good luck on trying to get the FAA to violate this pilot, especially if he was operating as part of law enforcement and please don't even try to compare or justify this to some of the stunts pulled off by idiots flying drones recklessly

Last edited:
Cops are NOT exempt from this
91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a)Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
WRONG - READ the advisory circular I posted!!!

Here, I'll post it again...

Statutory Criteria. PAO are limited by the statute to certain government operations within U.S. airspace. Although these operations must continue to comply with certain general operating rules, including those applicable to all aircraft in the National Airspace System (NAS), other civil certification and safety oversight regulations do not apply to these operations. Accordingly, most aspects of PAO are not subject to FAA oversight.

Last edited:
Reactions: TR Ganey
There is NO excuse for what that pilot did, ZERO, he was below the tree line, he was over people, he put himself, the aircraft, and the public in danger.... for WHAT? A rowdy tailgate party is not exactly a felony offense.

As a Pilot myself, I have very little tolerance for people who operate recklessly.

As far as I am concerned they should pull his ticket.

operations must continue to comply with the regulations applicable to all aircraft
operating in the NAS

What Oversight of PAO Does the FAA Have?

The FAA has limited oversight of PAO, though such operations
must continue to comply with the regulations applicable to all aircraft
operating in the NAS. The government entity conducting the PAO is responsible for oversight of
the operation, including aircraft airworthiness and any operational requirements imposed by the
government entity.
The government agency contracting for the service assumes the responsibility
for oversight of a PAO.

Does the FAA Prescribe Regulations for PAO?
No, the FAA has no regulatory authority over PAO other than those requirements that apply to all aircraft operating in the NAS

operations must continue to comply with the regulations applicable to all aircraft
operating in the NAS

What Oversight of PAO Does the FAA Have?

The FAA has limited oversight of PAO, though such operations
must continue to comply with the regulations applicable to all aircraft
operating in the NAS. The government entity conducting the PAO is responsible for oversight of
the operation, including aircraft airworthiness and any operational requirements imposed by the
government entity.
The government agency contracting for the service assumes the responsibility
for oversight of a PAO.

Does the FAA Prescribe Regulations for PAO?
No, the FAA has no regulatory authority over PAO other than those requirements that apply to all aircraft operating in the NAS

And you answered it right there

"The government entity conducting the PAO is responsible for oversight of
government entity."

The "pilot" flying that helicopter is a cop. If he was operating within policy of his PAO there's little or nothing the FAA could do to him/ her.

I worked for a PAO and for the most part they "almost" do what ever they want, right wrong or indifferent!!!!

Last edited:
And you answered it right there

"The government entity conducting the PAO is responsible for oversight of
government entity."

The "pilot" flying that helicopter is a cop. If he was operating within policy of his PAO there's little or nothing the FAA could do to him/ her.

I worked for a PAO and for the most part "almost" do what ever they want, right wrong or indifferent!!!!

operating in the NAS

Reactions: dawgpilot
There is NO excuse for what that pilot did, ZERO, he was below the tree line, he was over people, he put himself, the aircraft, and the public in danger.... for WHAT? A rowdy tailgate party is not exactly a felony offense.

As a Pilot myself, I have very little tolerance for people who operate recklessly.

As far as I am concerned they should pull his ticket.

I'm a pilot too and I don't condone what when on there, BUT unless you get the attention of that guy's boss (probably a Sheriff or Police Chief), there's little that could be done if they are operating within the guidelines of their PAO.

operating in the NAS

Not if its within the scope of the PAO. It would be like trying to give a cop a speeding ticket for chasing down a speeder on the freeway

Reactions: TR Ganey
If it was a drone they’d be suing us, drone pilots.
Tbh I hate how the news and public in general see us as the bad, careless and reckless person when there are pilots like this. Ugh

If it was a drone they’d be suing us, drone pilots.
Tbh I hate how the news and public in general see us as the bad, careless and reckless person when there are pilots like this. Ugh

This is one incident - 95% of certificated pilots are law abiding. I hate to say it but the same cannot be said about drone operators, especially hobbyists!

...The "pilot" flying that helicopter is a cop. If he was operating within policy of his PAO there's little or nothing the FAA could do to him/ her...I worked for a PAO and for the most part they "almost" do what ever they want, right wrong or indifferent!!!!

What about state reckless endangerment law? Does a PAO trump state criminal law?

What about state reckless endangerment law? Does a PAO trump state criminal law?

That will be up to a judge if someone from the state thinks that pilot/ police officer operated illegally and wants to press charges. My guess the LE agency who operates that helicopter will say they were responding to a dangerous or emergency situation.

I think if you peel back the onion more on this it will be found that the CFRs will trump most state laws

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots