DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another incident for the FAA.

That will be up to a judge if someone from the state thinks that pilot/ police officer operated illegally and wants to press charges. My guess the LE agency who operates that helicopter will say they were responding to a dangerous or emergency situation.

I think if you peel back the onion more on this it will be found that the CFRs will trump most state laws

If sure seems dangerous to me. Flying low over the crowd and intentionally kicking up dirt and debris. This may be a good litmus test for us to see if FAA applies or enforces rules consistently.

Reactions: Mavic-Markie93
If sure seems dangerous to me. Flying low over the crowd and intentionally kicking up dirt and debris. This may be a good litmus test for us to see if FAA applies or enforces rules consistently.

Agree - in the past they turned many a blind eye to many Public Use operators. I think this one got enough media attention to where they are compelled to act.

I really hope they throw the book at this idiot pilot. The very first thing they teach you in helicopter training school is "DO NOT FLY LOW OVER CROWDS OF PEOPLE" --- how reckless and dumb do you have to be to try something like this ??

If you read the news story, this whole mess started when a PA State Trooper was assaulted at a large party during the tailgating festivities before the big Penn State-Ohio State game. A bunch of drunk frat boys even started punching police horses. So instead of calling in a few dozen PA state troopers to break up the party like any normal police force is supposed to do, some idiot commander called in the helicopter and gave direct orders to "fly low and dust these jerks up real good".

So the idiot pilot was just following orders from an idiot commander. Sure be nice to see both of them do some jail time over this!

Shouldn't each decision/action be based on the associated risk? The "rowdy" crowd was at more danger with this helicopter flying so low and at much higher risk of having objects, projectiles, and possible crash injuries than the "rowdy" crowd had in the first place. Since police was on the ground, the danger to them was also present with projectiles flying to anyone in the area. Imagin some of those aliminum or steel spear shaped ground /tent stakes flying at you!

Agree - in the past they turned many a blind eye to many Public Use operators. I think this one got enough media attention to where they are compelled to act.
It was on ABC World News Tonight last night.

I really hope they throw the book at this idiot pilot. The very first thing they teach you in helicopter training school is "DO NOT FLY LOW OVER CROWDS OF PEOPLE" --- how reckless and dumb do you have to be to try something like this ??

If you read the news story, this whole mess started when a PA State Trooper was assaulted at a large party during the tailgating festivities before the big Penn State-Ohio State game. A bunch of drunk frat boys even started punching police horses. So instead of calling in a few dozen PA state troopers to break up the party like any normal police force is supposed to do, some idiot commander called in the helicopter and gave direct orders to "fly low and dust these jerks up real good".

So the idiot pilot was just following orders from an idiot commander. Sure be nice to see both of them do some jail time over this!

The "Idiot pilot" is also a state trooper

I fly fixed wing, C172's and PA-28-161's mostly.

There is a reason we want space under us, it gives us time , in case of a failure, to either run the check list or find the nearest place to land... be it an airport, golf course, road.... any port in a storm.

If Jane Dornacker was still alive maybe she could explain the dangers of unexpected mechanical failures in rotor aircraft ( she survived one crash only to die in another not soon afterwards)

Anyone remember Vic Morrow... getting diced up by a crashing helicopter is no way to go.

Planes can glide, planes can turn and find places to land, even without power.

Helicopters are not so forgiving, especially at low altitudes and over people or objects.

I don't care if the Pilot is a cop , I would not care if he were Jesus Christ, the rule that applies to all is that you will not fly in a manner that is dangerous, or endangers other aircraft or people.

IMHO, there is no way to justify what that pilot did.

1995, Mass State PD crash a Helicopter into the Harvard University Boathouse..... the accident report ripped into the MSP Air Wing as a danger to everything in the sky and on the ground

Bad Fuel, Pilot Error to Blame For February Helicopter Crash - The Tech

I don't care if the Pilot is a cop , I would not care if he were Jesus Christ, the rule that applies to all is that you will not fly in a manner that is dangerous, or endangers other aircraft or people.
Unfortunately there are some who fly and manage Public Use aircraft who feel otherwise and they don't care if Jesus Christ is in the right seat or on the ground.

I knew the pilot, Darcy Wingo. He was a good pilot who got caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time

I lived in Los Angeles at the time and remember the nine month Twilight Zone trial was big news.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Anyone remember Vic Morrow... getting diced up by a crashing helicopter is no way to go.

Planes can glide, planes can turn and find places to land, even without power.

Helicopters are not so forgiving, especially at low altitudes and over people or objects.

IMHO, there is no way to justify what that pilot did

It's funny how the REAL pilots in here recognize the sheer stupidity and danger this idiot pilot posed to the innocent public with this stunt.

I think so many people hate cops because of stuff like this --- instead of sending in a couple dozen troopers to break up the party --- the commander on sight called in a helicopter to harass and endanger 100's of innocent people all because he didnt want to risk another of his subordinates from possibly straining a wrist while restraining a drunk college kid

And then there is the property damage to consider. The state will need to replace all the damaged tailgating gear.

I knew the pilot, Darcy Wingo. He was a good pilot who got caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time

There is a book about this incident
Outrageous Conduct: Art, Ego, and the Twilight Zone Case

and in it the authors opine that Wingo was not a seasoned movie pilot, was not comfortable doing the type of flying that Landis ( who was known to be an ******* on set) wanted, but since Wingo wanted to break into movie flying, and not get yelled at by Landis, he did the flights.... when more seasoned pilots said they would not.

There are also other books on the same incident

I just ordered the book mentioned above.

As soon as I finish reading other book that is an engineering study of plane crashes, I'll read that one.

I read a lot of books about aviation....

It's a very sad event --- all because of the unchecked ego of an arrogant a-hole like John Landis. Makes me sick to think Landis was acquitted of basically murdering 3 people on a movie set, and then I vomit even more when I see him a few years later laughing and fooling around with Michael Jackson and Macaulay Culkin during the shooting of the "Black & White" video.

That's why I will NEVER complain that 98% of all dangerous movie stunts have been replaced by CGI. I will gladly pay an extra $5 premium in the cost of the ticket knowing that actors on a set are in front of a big screen with lots of cushioned mats around instead of little kids being decapitated by a crashing helicopter.

and in it the authors opine that Wingo was not a seasoned movie pilot, was not comfortable doing the type of flying that Landis ( who was known to be an ******* on set) wanted, but since Wingo wanted to break into movie flying, and not get yelled at by Landis, he did the flights.... when more seasoned pilots said they would not.

There are also other books on the same incident

I just ordered the book mentioned above.

As soon as I finish reading other book that is an engineering study of plane crashes, I'll read that one.

I read a lot of books about aviation....

I would believe that. If I recall Wingo was a Vietnam Vet and during that period flying jobs were hard to come by. I was working at an aircraft salvage yard in Southern California a few years earlier while going to school for my A&P and there were several Vietnam era helicopter pilots working there basically doing grunt work. Through a work acquaintance is how I met him. During that time I had thoughts about trying to go into the army under the WOFT program, took the FAST test and was on my way. At the 11th hour I got a job offer from a little company called Lockheed, the rest is history.

Reactions: Fplvert
I worked for a PAO and for the most part they "almost" do what ever they want, right wrong or indifferent!!!!

And don't think that doesn't go unnoticed by the public-at-large. And that is precisely why the respect level for law enforcement has been plummeting. It's more than just two sets of rules... it's that so many in authority blatantly violate the laws that the rest of us civys must abide by.

That is absolutely appalling and reckless. All it would take is for one tent to hit someone the wrong way and they're dead. We just had someone at my local beach get impaled - completely through their leg - by a beach umbrella that was blown by a gust of wind. A couple years earlier, a woman was impaled through the chest and killed (I think in Maryland) with the same. Flying debris is no joke. Shame on that pilot and anyone who would have directed that.

Well someone is about to have his license revoked, there is no way that can not be considered safe flight

Police Helicopter pilot was either landing or checking something out, and when he realized what was happen he make a corrected right turn and pulled power/pitch and climbed/turned out. No violation, but bad judgement and I am sure a *** chewing is on its way.

Police Helicopter pilot was either landing or checking something out, and when he realized what was happen he make a corrected right turn and pulled power/pitch and climbed/turned out. No violation, but bad judgement and I am sure a *** chewing is on its way.

Are you a Pilot?

He went low over the crowd to use the loudspeaker, it didn't work the first time so he went lower for another pass.

14 CFR 91.13 is a catchall provision that can serve as a basis for an FAA enforcement action, independent of any specific regulation

"No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another. "

That is a very broad statement, which the FAA can, will, and has used to hang a Pilot absent of any other regulation that they can pull out of the book.

It even applies to sUAV ( Drone) operators.

The only exception to any FAA rule is that violating the rule prevented the loss of life, or aircraft. That is why a Drone can LEGALLY exceed 400' if breaking that ceiling is to avoid another aircraft ( a drone climbs faster than it descends) and prevent a loss of aircraft. Same thing for a bird of prey, descend and it will continue the attack, climb and it will think twice.

IMHO that regulation does not have a exception for Police operations.

If any debris had come up and hit a rotor, had there been any sort of failure , pilot error, you name it, there would have been multiple injuries and deaths.

We have beat this subject to death .... let's see if it gets swept under the rug.

Seeing that the NJ State PD has not publicly issued a statement or suspended the Pilot is a pretty good indication the Thin Blue Line is going to do the usual "nothing to see here" thing.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC