DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another irresponsible UAS Pilot

More worrying for me as we have already shown you can strap a spare battery to a drone so in theory some lunatic could strap explosives to one. Now that would bring a plane down. So something has to be done to ensure drones cannot fly near airports .

Reactions: gkrug
Geofencing works, tested it, but it wan't actually set to stop flight in our local citys airports approach / departure areas, just close to the airport boundary itself.
DJI could easily rectify that though.
In Australia, the WHOLE nation, we are limited to 400' as hobbiests under CASA rules (FAA equivalent), I think RePL / ReOC holders can get exemption in some cases.
I don't see it is only how close you are to an airport that is the whole issue, but as in this example post #1, this could have been what, 3 miles / 4 miles / 6 miles out (?) and a drone could be that high in the US.
"While landing in LA" . . . "was landing at Los Angeles International Airport" . . . "final approach" . . . just how far out is that, looking at that height in the photo, it could easily be outside a normal NFZ.
I really think the height ceiling is an important one, can't work out how the US allows hobbiests unlimited height restrictions, with just DJIs 500m (~ 1639') limit (400' is 119m).

No - I'm taking it as a credible report, backed up by a photo. How would the airport confirm it?

Ive got a photo of the Loch Ness monster, looks like a monster in the photo, so i guess it must be, rather than something that just looks like the monster.
Hard to say, bit like the picture in the OP's link ;):)

Reactions: Rogat19
Look how deep the V shape is in that image. Not really an X shape the Phantom is known for. Is it a seagull?

View attachment 26939

I'm not sure the photo is inconsistent with the shape of a Phantom, but there may be a bigger problem. I took another look at the image and estimated the location from that view. The aircraft was at least 25 miles from landing, which is consistent with an altitude of at least 7000 ft. That would put the Phantom way over its accessible ceiling unless it were a P2 or a hacked P3 or P4. Starts to seem less probable.

screenshot70.jpg

I'm not sure the photo is inconsistent with the shape of a Phantom, but there may be a bigger problem. I took another look at the image and estimated the location from that view. The aircraft was at least 25 miles from landing, which is consistent with an altitude of at least 7000 ft. That would put the Phantom way over its accessible ceiling unless it were a P2 or a hacked P3 or P4. Starts to seem less probable.

View attachment 26940

NAILED IT

Reactions: 4wd
More worrying for me as we have already shown you can strap a spare battery to a drone so in theory some lunatic could strap explosives to one. Now that would bring a plane down. So something has to be done to ensure drones cannot fly near airports .

Pretty unlikely, whilst probably possible, it would be pretty hard to one, first hit the moving plane, but two, getting the drone to explode at just the right moment, among other challenges.
Luckily a lot of them cant even get their device's to work, or work correctly when straped to themselfs, let alone at the exact second with two fast moving objects likely thousands of feet away.

Its just another anti drone story :(
, as sadly there far simpler, easier ways, as we all seen, for these scum f**kers to cause carnage than going to all the challenges of using drones

I wonder how many deadly car accidents there were that day?
Just saying...
The problem is that many car accidents are required to equal the fatalities that could happen in one Drone / Commercial Aircraft accident. How would you feel if your cavalier attitude resulted in 200-300 people losing their lives? This isn't a game it's real, act accordingly.

The problem is that many car accidents are required to equal the fatalities that could happen in one Drone / Commercial Aircraft accident. How would you feel if your cavalier attitude resulted in 200-300 people losing their lives? This isn't a game it's real, act accordingly.
Nobody's denigrating the risks - rather deploring the rampant fear-mongering and careless research (if any).
It's not new - media have been doing it since day one. Listen to Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry" for a more or less accurate summation.
The problem as I see it is "those people" intent on getting their 15 minutes at whatever cost.

I can run myself stupid trying to determine what's real or not in the media....what's real to me is how I conduct myself when flying a drone making sure not to endanger others. Very small box I can control my own behavior but not those creating chaos and breaking laws.

Probably take around an hour for people worldwide dying in road accidents for it to equal the fatalities a large passenger plane crash might cause. thankfully though large passenger plane crashes are rare, so when it happens its a big news story, and its in the news for days, the millions who die on the roads every year, when was that front page news?.
It isn't, you have to search to find out the massive number who sadly die every year.

So nobodys playing it down or having a cavalier attitude, its just pretty irksome when the hobby we love gets continuingly bashed about it bringing down - or implying such - aircraft, when as far as i know, no such thing has ever happened or even come close to happening.

Whatever peoples opinions on it, drones arnt going away, so it needs sensible debate and common sense solutions applied ,as at the moment all we have is a stream of anti drone stories in the media, and draconian nee jerk rules and regulations because of it.

There isn't one. It was just a silly attempt at deflecting from a real issue. It should also put to bed the ridiculous, repeated assertion that it's impossible to spot a small UAV from a moving aircraft, even when it's obvious that if you can see birds (which you can) then you can see UAVs, and even the simplest back-of-the-envelope calculation demonstrates that it should not be difficult at all.
That logic doesn’t wir
I wonder how many deadly car accidents there were that day?
Just saying...
No of course not but why the automatic acceptance? It's like some of you want it to be true. I view all stories with some skepticism because they are too often skewed to the author's beliefs.

On a different note, the story calls for the "drone" to have been a 100 feet away but my experience skydiving tells me that sun shining on a white surface makes the object appear larger from above. Oh and I'm sorry but I'm still not convinced that is a drone. It could be a white bird in mid flap of it's wings. Where's the rest of the pictures? A professional photographer only took one picture of something unusual? He was the only person with a camera? Wait, what was he doing with a bunch of camera equipment out if they were coming in for a landing? I don't know, I'm not going to just accept this story on face value.

Just in case you didn't see this,

totaly fake video. That drone wouldn’t have survived a collision with the winglet. To think the drone would cut off half of 737 winglet is absurd.

Probably take around an hour for people worldwide dying in road accidents for it to equal the fatalities a large passenger plane crash might cause. thankfully though large passenger plane crashes are rare, so when it happens its a big news story, and its in the news for days, the millions who die on the roads every year, when was that front page news?.
It isn't, you have to search to find out the massive number who sadly die every year.

So nobodys playing it down or having a cavalier attitude, its just pretty irksome when the hobby we love gets continuingly bashed about it bringing down - or implying such - aircraft, when as far as i know, no such thing has ever happened or even come close to happening.

Whatever peoples opinions on it, drones arnt going away, so it needs sensible debate and common sense solutions applied ,as at the moment all we have is a stream of anti drone stories in the media, and draconian nee jerk rules and regulations because of it.

Like I said before, my biggest problem with this situation is how quickly the drone community jumps on the drone pilot bashing bandwagon without any real proof.

That logic doesn’t wir

totaly fake video. That drone wouldn’t have survived a collision with the winglet. To think the drone would cut off half of 737 winglet is absurd.

Yes my point was that it was a fake video that was posted as "news" and a lot of people in the drone community completely bought it. Just like so many jumped on the bandwagon about London, with that story also being debunked.

Yes - a fine selection of comments, as usual, a good many of which start with the usual erroneous assumption that mass is the only important parameter in impact dynamics. It's become obvious that this particular field of physics is way too far beyond most of them to have any hope that they will ever understand, no matter how many studies are published.
It only takes one.......

Reactions: Rogat19
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacjes