DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another irresponsible UAS Pilot

Apparently someone else was flying their Phantom near LAX, close enough to a commercial plane for a passenger to get a picture of it...

Man's Photo Shows DJI Drone Near His Plane While Landing in LA
I have been witness to a few idiots flying a drone about 200' elvation whithin 200" of the approach end of McCarren Airport in Las Vegas... So.. Yes I can believe this. problem was after I told them it is illegal to fly because they were close to the airport, they actually thought I was lying to them.. BS to get them to leave the area.. so I called the police.. and put the Convo on speakerphone.. so when the dispatch said an officer was on the way they landed and hi-tailed it for their car.

Sar are you really an anti Droner ? disguised as an oh so impartial observer to reports of this dron or just playing Devils advocate? and in closing a couple of things, Simon baby our intrepid photographer has some serious camera gear that would have to be stowed for landing and also would be powerful enough to get a clear shot of said drone, and surprise suprise he runs a blog among other things, wonder how many extra hits he got on his web site from this little post? and last but not least the aircraft is nowhere near on final approach its probably around 6 or 7 thousand feet so probably rocking and rolling along at 300 to 400 miles an hour, 1 pretty amazing eyesight to spot a drone at those closing speeds plus a pretty amazing drone to be up at that height hanging around for a passing jet with a photog waiting to get a shot of it. my Verdict ? "FAKE NEWS" !!

1- I am a Private Pilot, So from My perspective.. plane was under 10k' flight speed is limited to <250kt, spotting a drone at that speed is not difficult... and even my small Mavic has 16k elevation ceiling.... so Yes, the possibility that a idiot was trying to get shots of planes on approach is not a far stretch

even my small Mavic has 16k elevation ceiling....
Provided you take off from a mountain almost as tall.
Hacking can increase the maximum you can climb too (from default 500m) but the battery limits time spent there to seconds, it is not something average owner will be doing.

Reactions: Brojon
LOL. This study failed to factor in the increasing number of yahoos flying in the restricted airspace.

Yes, these figures sound right if only certificated, trained, and responsible people flew the drones.

Nope, it has nothing to do with who is flying or how. Besides, LESS people are flying by airports. Why? Because DJI implemented NFZ on their drones. Because DJI has restricted their drones to 500m. How much time does a jet liner spend below 500m within the 5 mile limit? Very little, if at all.These are probability numbers. I've tried this with others, now I'll try it here. How often is earth struck with meteors? Almost every day. How often do meteors take out satellites? Almost never. Why? Because of the shear volumes and areas involved. The probability of a drone being in the same exact space, at the same exact time as a jet liner traveling hundreds of miles per hour are astronomically low. Then couple that with the probability of a 1.6 lb drone striking the aircraft in such a way to cause it to have a catastrophic failure and crash? Unlikely. Those figures aren't mine, they come from a gov't agency. I can try and find the entire study if you'd like.

Using fake stories and fear mongering as a tool to get young drone pilots to fly "responsibly" is a losing proposition in my opinion. Those tactics have almost never stopped anyone form doing anything considered wrong or dangerous. Ask any parent.

Reactions: Cutaway and Brojon
1- I am a Private Pilot, So from My perspective.. plane was under 10k' flight speed is limited to <250kt, spotting a drone at that speed is not difficult... and even my small Mavic has 16k elevation ceiling.... so Yes, the possibility that a idiot was trying to get shots of planes on approach is not a far stretch

Okay but under those conditions the drone pilot was well within his rights to be that high. He was well beyond the 5 mile NFZ.

Provided you take off from a mountain almost as tall.
Hacking can increase the maximum you can climb too (from default 500m) but the battery limits time spent there to seconds, it is not something average owner will be doing.

I've tried this debate point as well in the past. It's just not that likely.

I wonder how many deadly car accidents there were that day?
Just saying...
Don't be an idiot mate. It shouldn't be happening.
Those so called drone pilots are making things worse for everyone else

It's all fun and games until it's the aircraft you're sitting in... LOL

Lol, same could be said about sticks, 'its always fun till someone loses an eye'

Lets add sticks to the list of things that need banning:D ;)

Lol, same could be said about sticks, 'its always fun till someone loses an eye'

Lets add sticks to the list of things that need banning:D ;)

Sarcasm. Note the LOL, which tells us the context of the post.

See it.

Recognize it.

Deal with it.

Unless your name is Sheldon Cooper. Thumbswayup:p

Sarcasm. Note the LOL, which tells us the context of the post.

See it.

Recognize it.

Deal with it.

Unless your name is Sheldon Cooper. Thumbswayup:p

You obviously missed my lol and the smileys i put at the end , o and the fact i Liked your post 1 minute before i replied, just in case the rest wasn't obvious that i was replying with similar friendly sarcasm ;):)

Last edited:
Sar are you really an anti Droner ? disguised as an oh so impartial observer to reports of this dron or just playing Devils advocate? and in closing a couple of things, Simon baby our intrepid photographer has some serious camera gear that would have to be stowed for landing and also would be powerful enough to get a clear shot of said drone, and surprise suprise he runs a blog among other things, wonder how many extra hits he got on his web site from this little post? and last but not least the aircraft is nowhere near on final approach its probably around 6 or 7 thousand feet so probably rocking and rolling along at 300 to 400 miles an hour, 1 pretty amazing eyesight to spot a drone at those closing speeds plus a pretty amazing drone to be up at that height hanging around for a passing jet with a photog waiting to get a shot of it. my Verdict ? "FAKE NEWS" !!

Did you read as far as post #45, or is it beyond your capacity to follow a thread before jumping in, late and inaccurately, and parading your ignorance?

Okay but under those conditions the drone pilot was well within his rights to be that high. He was well beyond the 5 mile NFZ.

If that were a Phantom, which I now seriously doubt, it would have been well over 5000 ft AGL (see #45). Obviously not allowed under Part 107, so hypothetically are you really defending that under Part 101? I don't think that the AMA would regard that as within their guidelines.

You obviously missed my lol and the smileys i put at the end , o and the fact i Liked your post 1 minute before i replied, just in case the rest wasn't obvious that i was replying with similar friendly sarcasm ;):)

Ok :cool:

I wasn't sure, as you said "Lets add sticks to the list of things that need banning", and the correct response to my reply (with my skewed sense of humor) would have been "Lets add aircraft to the list of things that need banning". After all, we wouldn't want any nuisances like an airliner to bother us while we're flying our drones, would we? ;)

Reactions: Dw911
Did you guys read the comments? Kind of funny.

Here's one, fancy numbers aside, all it takes is one drone that causes a catastrophic airplane crash to ground our fleet.

"Our analysis has been based on actual bird strikes, not near misses or simple sightings. We find in general that small UAS under 2kg pose a negligible risk to the safety of the national airspace. We estimate that 6.12x10−6 collisions will cause damage to an aircraft for every 100,000 hours of 2kg UAS flight time. Or to put it another way, one damaging incident will occur no more than every 1.87 million years of 2kg UAS flight time. We further estimate that 6.12x10−8 collisions that cause an injury or fatality to passengers on board an aircraft will occur every 100,000 hours of 2kg UAS flight time, or once every 187 million years of operation. This appears to be an acceptable risk to the airspace."

https://www.mercatus.org/pu..

Don't be an idiot mate. It shouldn't be happening.
Those so called drone pilots are making things worse for everyone else

The point is that it didn't happen. Besides, that's like saying you driving your car drunk in Sydney is somehow going to affect me in Michigan. That's just plain bs fear mongering!

Reactions: Rogat19
If that were a Phantom, which I now seriously doubt, it would have been well over 5000 ft AGL (see #45). Obviously not allowed under Part 107, so hypothetically are you really defending that under Part 101? I don't think that the AMA would regard that as within their guidelines.

Well, I'm not a member so I don't care about their guidelines. I'm looking at this from a legal stand point. Unless you can cite me a CONCRETE law that prohibits this behavior, I don't have to "defend" anything. I've read the FAA guidelines. I've also read gov't guidelines on nutrition and I don't expect to be arrested for eating a Snickers anytime soon.

Did you read as far as post #45, or is it beyond your capacity to follow a thread before jumping in, late and inaccurately, and parading your ignorance?

"Ignorance"? Who was the sucker that believed this hair ball story in the first place? Now that the story has been basically debunked, you're on to the normal back up tactic of "but if this story was true..." to forward the agenda. Like I said before, some of you are so quick to jump on these stories because you want it to be true. You're just waiting for proof of your narrative. I'm expecting a huge fist pumping/ I told you so party if a drone ever does take out a jet liner.

Reactions: Brojon and Rogat19

Thanks! That's an awesome read and one certain people on this forum are not going to want to see become popular.

Reactions: Rogat19
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf