Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Low Flyover by Military Helicopter

What’s the airspace??
Military flies fast and low in
central N.C. almost daily.
Hear/See & Avoid!!

Reactions: lrsn
I knew someone would say that, but with many years on a flight deck, skydiver and to fly a drone in this area almost everyday I can assure you around ~250ft, 300 ft tops
K :rolleyes:

Apologies, slightly off topic. Many years ago when I was flying light aircraft around Florida a military jet, possibly F111, took out an old guy out pottering around in his Cessna 152 in his rightful airspace over a golf course, apparently not in very high airspace (obviously 500 min). You can image a fast impact, nothing left of the Cessna but the military pilot banged out unscathed. Not a lot was mentioned in the press after that.

Reactions: jcp411
Apologies, slightly off topic. Many years ago when I was flying light aircraft around Florida a military jet, possibly F111, took out an old guy out pottering around in his Cessna 152 in his rightful airspace over a golf course, apparently not in very high airspace (obviously 500 min). You can image a fast impact, nothing left of the Cessna but the military pilot banged out unscathed. Not a lot was mentioned in the press after that.

Is this the same story? It's a 172 and not a 152, but everything else sounds about right.

F-16, Cessna Collide in Midair

Yep, could be, 18 years ago so a little bit of brain fade. I thought I could remember him ejecting in a pod not a seat, that´s why it made me think of the F-111. Always good to keep flight following a heads up on your location and route when flying light aircraft. After a little google it seems another mid air collision not long back.

would you call center (central radar flight following)
if I want to fly in SFC class E not in vicinity of the airport to self report proposed drone flying? Would it be improper to call them up on com radio if I keep it short and sweet?

Last edited:
would you call center (central radar flight following)
if I want to fly in SFC class E not in vicinity of the airport to self report proposed drone flying? Would it be improper to call them up on com radio if I keep it short and sweet?
Surface Class E not associated with an airport. I have not encountered that condition anywhere.

I get class e airspace warnings flying in a mountain valley far from any airport, I got one yesterday...I will bust out the sectional chart and see what's up

I was flying where the mouse pointer is and was getting Class E airspace warnings at the surface

Attachments

• 20180329_093010.jpg
    20180329_093010.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I see a dashed magenta line that is Magnetic Variation. I see no red dashed lines depicting Class E to the sfc.
I know that Class G extends from the surface unless indicated otherwise.
I think you are getting a bad Class E warning signal

I get pinpoint visits from military scouting aircraft when I'm out in my fields. Direct approach to where I've been flying the drone >5 mins, boomerang back. I used to flip the pilots off, now I just wave & film them. Sometimes Apaches take longer to pass nearby but they're not really curious. [Live relatively near military installations.] Can't count the similar photos like [OP] I have.

Always a fun race to see if I can descend from 392ft in time for their arrival.

Here's 4 in formation, unrelated to my drone flying (hopefully!)4.png

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and raymo
It seems to me that it would be a good idea when the military is doing low level flights in the U.S. they should be required to turn on transponders to make them show up on apps like flightradar24. At least a drone driver could check for low level flights in the area. I realize that the training aircraft would be here and gone in a short time, but at least it would be possible to predict their flight path for a little while. Or maybe there would be someway to display it on the drone controller realtime.
They do have transponders on. It is the app that doesn't show them. The last time I looked at FR24, all I saw was commercial flights. But its been a while, might have changed.

You are flying in a ecosystem up there. Just stay alert and fly away and descend if you hear a big dog coming. Use it as practice.

Remember if you can’t deal with it you shouldn’t fly it!

When you hear a manned aircraft stop your tasks and act accordindly.

Stay calm.

Fly the aircraft!

Like fish in a tank.

Just go with the flow.

Phil
20k + flying hours

You are flying in a ecosystem up there. Just stay alert and fly away and descend if you hear a big dog coming. Use it as practice.

Remember if you can’t deal with it you shouldn’t fly it!

When you hear a manned aircraft stop your tasks and act accordindly.

Stay calm.

Fly the aircraft!

Like fish in a tank.

Just go with the flow.

Phil
20k + flying hours
That's what the he'll I'm talking about...thanx Phil

The choppers (military and private) fly under 250 where i live. Is there a regulation as to how low the choppers can fly?
If you can fly there, they can fly there. It's class G airspace.

I get pinpoint visits from military scouting aircraft when I'm out in my fields. Direct approach to where I've been flying the drone >5 mins, boomerang back. I used to flip the pilots off, now I just wave & film them. Sometimes Apaches take longer to pass nearby but they're not really curious. [Live relatively near military installations.] Can't count the similar photos like [OP] I have.

Always a fun race to see if I can descend from 392ft in time for their arrival.

Here's 4 in formation, unrelated to my drone flying (hopefully!)View attachment 34785
Nice shot! I like to think in terms of this - If I turned these to a vertical position, how many could I stack up between them and ground level? It's usually a lot more than you think initially. Now it you're feeling rotor wash ... whole other story.

You can find out a lot by having a aviation band receiver. If there is a weather reporting airport nearby tune to ATIS frequency and it will give you the bottoms of those clouds. It is easier to measure down from low clouds than up from the ground sometimes.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman