DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Low Flyover by Military Helicopter

wwohp

Reactions
Maybe 250 feet at the most over about 100 acres of private property. Made 3-4 passes at that altitude in central North Carolina.

Attachments

• Helo.jpg
    Helo.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Reactions: butterflyslicer
That is way higher than 250 feet. Unless the helicopter is only a few feet long...

Reactions: jcp411
That is way higher than 250 feet. Unless the helicopter is only a few feet long...

I knew someone would say that, but with many years on a flight deck, skydiver and to fly a drone in this area almost everyday I can assure you around ~250ft, 300 ft tops

Reactions: RLW8888
I get that where I live also.
Military and private choppers plus ultralights well under 120m.

and no, I do not live anywhere near an airport.

It's getting more current here as well. The Army has thousand of acres to train an hour from here but yet they like to rattle my windows on a small private farm regularly.

It seems to me that it would be a good idea when the military is doing low level flights in the U.S. they should be required to turn on transponders to make them show up on apps like flightradar24. At least a drone driver could check for low level flights in the area. I realize that the training aircraft would be here and gone in a short time, but at least it would be possible to predict their flight path for a little while. Or maybe there would be someway to display it on the drone controller realtime.

Maybe 250 feet at the most over about 100 acres of private property. Made 3-4 passes at that altitude in central North Carolina.

I'm not sure what you point is, posting here. We're not the FAA. Pick up the phone and call them if you're concerned!

I knew someone would say that, but with many years on a flight deck, skydiver and to fly a drone in this area almost everyday I can assure you around ~250ft, 300 ft tops

It's easy enough to determine range from your photograph if you know the camera FOV and image resolution. A UH-60 is 50 ft long and, for example, if that was a typical 12 MP phone camera with a FOV of 75° looking upwards at around 45°, then that helicopter was approximately 770 ft away and around 550 ft AGL.

I'm not sure what you point is, posting here. We're not the FAA. Pick up the phone and call them if you're concerned!
Maybe because it's a General Discussion Group and to bring awareness to other drone flyers?

ETA: not trying to start an exact altitude argument or FAA complaint thread but just to see if anyone had similar experiences

Last edited:
It's easy enough to determine range from your photograph if you know the camera FOV and image resolution. A UH-60 is 50 ft long and, for example, if that was a typical 12 MP phone camera with a FOV of 75° looking upwards at around 45°, then that helicopter was approximately 770 ft away and around 550 ft AGL.

I track aircraft and helos all the time on Flight Radar to get a general idea of altitudes from my POV. Military ac do not show up on FR24 but I honestly thought this thing was about land in my field. Wasn't just a quick flyover but several very low circles. Just a very odd occurrence and only minutes from just flying my MP in the same airspace, again, over privately owned farm land.

I love this discussion. It is wonderful that we can all take any stance we want and argue the merits of our position.
YOU REMEMBER THIS: Those helicopters are the reason you can say what you want.

I track aircraft and helos all the time on Flight Radar to get a general idea of altitudes from my POV. Military ac do not show up on FR24 but I honestly thought this thing was about land in my field. Wasn't just a quick flyover but several very low circles. Just a very odd occurrence and only minutes from just flying my MP in the same airspace, again, over privately owned farm land.

There's not much you can do other than stay alert while flying and be prepared to descend if this kind of thing happens. Do you think they were looking for something?

Reactions: RLW8888
There's not much you can do other than stay alert while flying and be prepared to descend if this kind of thing happens. Do you think they were looking for something?
I don't think so, nothing but soybean/cotton/potato fields and not the first time

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gebert94403